Mostly Literary Fiction Book Discussion Group discussion

Plainsong (10/08) > Plainsong: Ike and Bobby - How do they cope and what do we learn from them?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally (Mostly_Literary) | 72 comments Mod
I was really struck by the boys, Ike and Bobby. How do they cope with a depressed mother who moves away? Were their characters authentic? Who do they attach themselves to, and what do we learn from them?

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments I didn't feel that Ike and Bobby reacted to the loss of their mother in the way that most young boys would. I also feel the story of her leaving wasn't developed enough for the reader. The old woman Ike and Bobby attached themselves to didn't ring true to me either. The old men on the farm and how they lived their lives, their kindness and simple lifestyle was touching and real to me.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments I loved the book, "The Girls" written by Lori Lansens. Being a twin myself, this story spoke to me in many ways. When you are a twin, you belong to each other in a way than you can never belong to anyone else. I know this is true of siblings, but more so with a twin. My favorite part of the book which is the beginning paragraph speaks to the beauty of the story. "...So many things I've never done, but oh, how I've been loved. And, if such things were to be,I'd live a thousand lives as me, to be loved so expotentially." Such sweetness, sadness, love , heartbreak all in one.