Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Charlaine Harris other books

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April | 26 comments Has anyone read Harris' other books? Are they as good as the Sookie Stackhouse books?

Thanks!

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie I haven't read any yet. I would like to though.. I would also be interested to know if anyone has read anything else?

message 3: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I actually have Grave Sight sitting here.I haven't been able to start it yet.It soundsgood so we will see.

message 4: by Theresa (last edited Oct 14, 2008 08:06AM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I've read all three books released so far in the Harper Connelly Mystery series.

I gave Grave Sight (#1) three stars, Grave Surprise (#2) four stars, and the most recent release, An Ice Cold Grave (#3) five stars. I really thought the third book hit the ground running and never let up.

I hope that Ms. Harris releases another book for this series... occasionally, I check her website and as of the last time, she still didn't have a release date for a fourth installment.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments My first Charlaine Harris books were the Sookie books. After those, I was desperate for more Charlaine Harris and started devouring her mysteries! They are very well written, very excellt stories. I'd rate them in this order:

1-Aurora Teagarden
2- Lily Bard
3- Harper Connelly (darker than the above)
4- Sweet & Deadly (stand alone mystery. Would enjoy reading more of Catherine's life though *hint* *hint*)
5- A Secret Rage (an older book, standalone, not a series to my knowledge)

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 7 comments I've read two of the Aurora Teagarden ones and enjoyed them. However, I don't see anything being as good as the Sookie series.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I don't think its a matter of them being as good as Sookie, so much as they're an entirely different type of book.

Sookie is like a thick juicy steak. You have to take your time and savor each bite.

Charlaine's mysteries are like a high quality cheeseburger. Still fantastic, and enjoyable, but you can eat it on the run.

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments Fathy
I have read all of Charlaine's series. The Sookie series is the best but the others grow on you. I like the Shakespeare series better than Teagarden, even though I am a librarian, and she says Lilly Bard and the Shakespeare series is complete. She says she left Lilly in a good place in the character's life. I think there is 5 or 6. I loved Lilly who I think has a lot of the real Charlaine Harris in her. Fun until the next Sookie anyway.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I think its unfortunate that Lily & Aurora are done. Though I do agree that both series left things with the characters in satisfying places, I still want MORE. hehe

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) I picked up the first 3 Teagarden books and the new Wolfsbane and Mistletoe which is a collection of writers and has a Sookie Stackhouse storie in it written by Charlaine. I haven't gotten to them yet. I'm starting #6 in the Sookie books tonight and am trying to finish this series before I start anything else. I've got this one and the Black Dagger Brotherhood going at the same time. I don't think I can process anything more. LOL

I really want to get the Shakespeare series too, I'll have to order those since the bookstore didn't have any of them.

I had to order the Sookie books from Amazon sine the Barnes and Noble were out of the first 6 and I just completed the rest of the series so I wouldn't have to wait to finish.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments I have Grave Sight reserved in the library and I'm waiting for it to come in, although I'm not really sure what it's about yet. Does it have the same type of quirky dialogue that the Sookie books have?

message 12: by gina~* (new)

gina~* | 15 comments does the harper conolly series involve romance?

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments Not really. There are bits of romance, but overall that's not at all the focus of the books. I really enjoyed this series, although it did take me a bit to get into it. There are currently 3 books out and she is supposed to be releasing a 4th soon. But I think that'll be the last one in the series. I hope not, but that was the rumor that I heard.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) Personally I love the Harper Connelly Series, and I don't think we should say 4 is the end, because originally it was only going to be 3, and it has been for a few years now, and all of a sudden we're getting a 4th!

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments I hope that they have more than 4! I love this series. I am really wondering if in this next book we will find out what happened to Harper's sister

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments I have read everything she has written. I love all of her books. To me she has something special. I especially liked the Shakespeare series which she says is now complete. She says she left the main character in a great place and she doesn't have any more to say about her but I wish she would.
The Harper Connelyy series is great too. I have read her first two stand alone novels as well. All great. She has published some short novellettes in two books with other authors that are also good. I think a lot of her earlier stuff was a practice for her later series. She is a wonderful writer and my favorite and I read A LOT. Several novels a month. I am so glad to know ther will be a new Harper. I would love her to find the sister's killer and get revenge.
April wrote: "Has anyone read Harris' other books? Are they as good as the Sookie Stackhouse books?

Thanks!"

message 17: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments I so agree Jessica.
I absolutley LOVE Lilly Bard.
Aurora is great too as I am a librarian and love mysteries so she was my alterego. :)
Maybe when Sookie moves along more she will change her mind but I think she will probably come up with another character for us to fall in love with.

Jessica wrote: "I think its unfortunate that Lily & Aurora are done. Though I do agree that both series left things with the characters in satisfying places, I still want MORE. hehe "

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 73 comments I have been reading the Sookie Stachouse books, getting them from the library and since the waiting lists are so long i started reading the Harper Connelly Stories. Grave Sight Grave Surprise and An Ice cold Grave. There pretty good , I just finished the third one and the story line is getting interesting. I think that Sookie books are still my favorites though.

message 19: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine (sabo280) | 3 comments I'm reading Grave Sight at the moment I’m only 92 pages in and I'm loving it. After reading all the Sookie Stackhouse novels I couldn't wait to read more Charlaine Harris and so far I’m not disappointed.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) We must also remember, how awesome was it when Lily Bard showed up at Sookie's?

message 21: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments Hmmm...I haven't read the Lily Bard series yet. They are on my list to read. Does that happen in one of those books or in one of the Sookie books? Or in a short story?

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) It's in one of the Sookie books, Lily Bard is hired by the Pelt family...I can't remember which one that happens in...I think possibly Book 5, Dead as a Doornail.

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments Is she a private detective? Like I said, haven't read that series yet. If so, that sounds right. She was probably the detective that was investigating the disappearance

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) Yeah she's a PI, she shows up at the bar and then goes back to Sookie's with her husband.

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments I forgot about that one. It was great for Lilly fans. I love Charlaine's sense of humor.

message 26: by Tamela (new)

Tamela (tampink703) | 35 comments alicia wrote: "I actually have Grave Sight sitting here.I haven't been able to start it yet.It soundsgood so we will see."

I have read Grave Sight and was disappointed. Not a fast read like the Stachouse novels. I'm scared to read others in fear that they will be a disappointment.

message 27: by Tamela (new)

Tamela (tampink703) | 35 comments Leslie wrote: "I have been reading the Sookie Stachouse books, getting them from the library and since the waiting lists are so long i started reading the Harper Connelly Stories. Grave Sight Grave Surprise and A..."

That's how I was able to read Grave Sight, the waiting list at the library seems to grow longer and longer. I am scared to think what will I have left to read once I have read all of the Stackhouse novels. Any suggestions?

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Tamela wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I have been reading the Sookie Stachouse books, getting them from the library and since the waiting lists are so long i started reading the Harper Connelly Stories. Grave Sight Grave..."

Haven't read Charlaine's other works but there is a similar reads thread you can go to in the group. If you are looking for another series try Patricia Briggs Mercy series (was recommended to me by group members and I loved it) or Janet Evanovich (this isn't fantasy in any way but hilarious and there's 15 so they should last quite some time). Lots of other recommendations but the series ones keep you occupied longer. Hope this helps!

message 29: by Tamela (new)

Tamela (tampink703) | 35 comments thanks

message 30: by Starling (new)

Starling I have read quite a few of her other books including a couple of stand alones. Her publishers are slowly reissuing a lot of her out of print books. And they have been smart enough to put the "current" series out one book every month or two months.

message 31: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I've read the Aurora Teagarden series and Harper Connolly. I also read A Secret Rage. Aurora is completely cozy mystery, with some interesting characters and neat little mysteries. It lacks the humor of Sookie Stackhouse, but I definitely enjoyed them. She says she may do another Aurora book some day.

The Harper Connolly series and A Secret Rage are both much darker in tone. More angst and suspense than Sookie. Harper has a very interesting gift, and the cases they work on are always intriguing, but I don't find Harper herself all that likable. Even though I love the mystery aspect of it and will continue reading, I wish I felt more of a connection to the characters themselves!

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I liked Lily Bard better than Harper Connolly. The culmination in the last Harper book was predictable and imo kinda icky.

message 33: by Starling (new)

Starling I have to admit that I hated where the Teagarden series ended. I loved the series, but leaving your main character dealing with the death of her husband, and not knowing HOW she actually deals with it messed me up.

I doubt very much if Charlaine Harris will ever return to that series. A very different author wrote those books.

message 34: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Starling, you should probably slap a spoiler announcement on that last post!

Jessica, I was a little ickified too!

And I so loved the clairvoyant's grandson.

message 35: by Starling (new)

Starling I'm never really sure when to put a spoiler notice on something. This book is more than 10 years old.

At what point is it OK to talk about a book without a spoiler notice in this forum?

message 36: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 80 comments Starling wrote: "I'm never really sure when to put a spoiler notice on something. This book is more than 10 years old.

At what point is it OK to talk about a book without a spoiler notice in this forum?"

I would use a spoiler tag anytime you might spoil something for someone who hasn't read the book. JMHO.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments Actually though, the Teagarden books went on past that point. Aurora had obviously dealt with it in the last book of hers I read.

message 38: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) She's working through it in Last Scene Alive. I haven't read Poppy Done to Death yet.
As for.a spoiler announcement, since this thread was for people who wanted to know opinions on Charlaine's other books, I presume they haven't read them all. I know I haven't read any of Lily Bard yet, though I've bought the first book!

message 39: by Starling (new)

Starling Is Poppy Done to Death a Teagarden book? If so, I haven't read it.

It is, by the way, a wonderful series. I was really upset at the last book in that series (or at least the one I thought was last).

I'm sorry if I spoiled the series for anyone reading this. But frankly, if I need a spoiler announcement for the basic plot of a book that is ten years old, then it is impossible to say anything about any book in this or any other thread. There is no way to have discussion except to say one enjoyed or did not enjoy a book or series. You can't explain why.

message 40: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Starling, Poppy is the last one in the series as of now.

In a thread like this one, I do try to leave my posts to general impressions and descriptions, only mentioning plot points if they won't ruin a story twist. After all, even if a book is a year old or ten, it's still new to the first-time reader!

Of course, we have plenty of spoiler threads all over goodreads where it's great to discuss every nuance with fellow fans!

message 41: by Starling (new)

Starling So I need to get Poppy Done to Death to resolve how I felt about what I thought was the last book in the series. I'm really glad to know that because I was really mad at the author for leaving her main character up in limbo. Looks like she didn't do that, and I'm glad to know it.

message 42: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I hope it resolves it for you!

message 43: by Starling (new)

Starling I've ordered it. And I expect it will resolve it for me.

I'm still thinking about the whole widow thing. I know I would have wanted to be warned about that before I read the book. BUT I don't mind big spoilers. In fact I read the last chapter early in almost every book I read. Still I know that what I would have wanted, and what others want isn't the same thing and I try to keep that in mind.

message 44: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 80 comments Starling wrote: "Is Poppy Done to Death a Teagarden book? If so, I haven't read it.

It is, by the way, a wonderful series. I was really upset at the last book in that series (or at least the one I thought was last..."

I see where you're coming from, but I don't understand how using spoiler tags keeps you from being able to discuss the book. You can still say whatever you want to say, just with spoiler tags. Unless it's a spoiler friendly thread of course. ;) Regardless of the age of the book, I'm sure it is still on a bunch of TBR piles as we speak.

message 45: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Ah, Starling, you're the type that skips ahead! That explains it!

You spoiler-lover, you.

message 46: by Starling (new)

Starling Not only do I love spoilers, I've been known to go looking for them from time to time.

I think I started reading the end of a book when I read one book too many with dishonest endings. I don't mind if the hero dies. I just mind if s/he dies stupid (My Sister's Keeper comes to mind) and dishonestly. I hate dishonest endings.

Also, my personal definition of a good book is when I can't figure out how they got from here to there, and I can't wait to read the chapters between where I am and where I am going to find out.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments Starling wrote: "Not only do I love spoilers, I've been known to go looking for them from time to time.

I think I started reading the end of a book when I read one book too many with dishonest endings. I don't min..."

Ugh, I hate that about books too, but I try very hard not to spoil things anyway. Godmother was like that for me. Fantastic book until the last like 3 chapters.

message 48: by Starling (last edited Aug 01, 2009 07:07AM) (new)

Starling I don't put spoilers into threads that are marked No Spoilers. But frankly I didn't see this thread as a No Spoiler thread. The heading just says that this is a thread to discuss Charlaine Harris' other books.

In the past I've been in forums that put a 30, 60 or 90 day stop on spoilers, so it did not occur to me that you can spoil a book that is 10 years old.