Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Buddy Reads > SERIES: The Coltrane Saga by Patricia Hagan

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla (MmeFloofybutt) | 1688 comments Mod
A few of us read the first book in the series for a Buddy Read, and it's a 125 carat BR gem in the style of Rosemary Rogers (JMHO). This topic is being set up to discuss other books in the series as we read them.

Love and War (Coltrane, #1) by Patricia Hagan The Raging Hearts (Coltrane, #2) by Patricia Hagan Love and Glory (Coltrane, #3) by Patricia Hagan Love and Fury (Coltrane, #4) by Patricia Hagan Love and Splendor (Coltrane, #5) by Patricia Hagan Love and Dreams (Coltrane, #6) by Patricia Hagan Love and Honor (Coltrane, #7) by Patricia Hagan Love and Triumph (Coltrane, #8) by Patricia Hagan

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Good grief, 8 books?!?! Do you have 'em all, Karla?

message 3: by Karla (new)

Do you have to ask? :D

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Silly me. :D I'm off to check them out.

message 5: by Karla (new)

I stopped reading the backs after Books 2 & 3 since I got too many spoilers. :P But even after reading the back of #2, it still didn't prepare me for the sheer OTTness of just how those two characters die. (And the way _____ dies is pretty damn sweet and hands-on hero brutal.)

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I have the series except for book #7. I was planning on reading the sequel as soon I finish Love & War. I love this book but the love/hate thing gets a little tiring at times.

message 7: by Karla (new)

Lynn wrote: "I love this book but the love/hate thing gets a little tiring at times."

That's why I think I was a little burned out by the time I finished Book 3 of the Steve & Ginny saga. I read those back to back.

message 8: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments You must have more stamina than I do. I can barely finish one of those hardcore BRs at a time. It really depresses me to think about reading another. And yet I do it anyway...

message 9: by Karla (new)

In case the post was overlooked, Patricia Hagan posted in the Promotion folder that her Coltrane series is being reissued by Samhain in December 2011 as part of their new "Retro Romance" line.

Very curious what else they might reissue!

message 10: by Karla (new)

Yeah, the covers will blow I'm sure. Glad I have the originals.

About time some real oldies in the genre got put back in print, apart from the real famous ones like Rosemary Rogers and Bertrice Small.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Creeker) | 133 comments Hmm I'm curious too. Wonder if they will touch em up a bit. That would suck.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Hagan | 3 comments Actually, the cover for LOVE AND WAR is awesome. But I can't figure out how to download it to this site. I'm not very savvy when it comes to things electronic. :-))
Patricia Hagan, author

message 13: by Karla (new)

Sometimes I wish the hero wouldn't get in the way of a good villain. :D

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Your handsome bad boy Corey, even if he does look look like Edward Norton, whom I drool over and love is, how can I say this nicely...a perv. Oooh he is twisted!

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Just wait!

message 16: by Karla (new)

Gah, you two suck! :D The book I'm going to read next better deliver on the perverted Ancient Roman goods so I don't feel deprived while you two are enjoying yourselves.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Ha, I am just waiting for Jeanine to get to the part where Corey tells Kitty "Yes, that's it. Down there. Squeeze them too. They like that. Oh yes". Then I want to see if she still thinks he's hot!

message 18: by Karla (new)

Bwah! :D

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Yay, he's back and Corey is going to get his. OMG I can't wait. I hope it is long and drawn out......... unlike him in the sack. Talk about a two minute man!

message 20: by Karla (new)

Since I got ahead in my other Buddy Read, I started Raging Hearts today. :)

message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Glad you're on the Raging Hearts wagon. This is such an awesome read.

message 22: by Karla (new)

And it's got big print too! I'm going blind with the other book I'm reading. :P

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I have 43 more pages to go. The adrenaline is pumping and my heart is racing. I don't know how much more my heart can take.

message 24: by Karla (new)

Wheee! Sounds like I have quite a ride ahead of me. :P

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Yes Karla, you are in for quite a ride. I had to put it down for an hour hour because I hit a WTF moment.

message 26: by Karla (new)

That's encouraging! :D

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments You may change your mind later about both guys.

message 28: by Karla (new)

Lynn wrote: "Yes Karla, you are in for quite a ride. I had to put it down for an hour hour because I hit a WTF moment."

Now that I'm about 100 pages from the end, what was your WTF moment, Lynn? I'm curious! :) And even if it takes place in those pages, post away. I'll probably have it all read by the time I see your reply.

message 29: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Travis comes back to town and Kitty, after having been beaten by Corey, seeks him out only to find him in bed with Nancy getting down to it. That "bitch" Nancy has poisoned his mind against Kitty by telling him that the "brat" she has borne is really Coreys and not his. She is pissed that Corey married Kitty and blames Kitty for all of her misfortune. It just keeps getting worse for the poor gal.

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Jerome is evil!

message 31: by Karla (new)

Lynn wrote: "Travis comes back to town and Kitty, after having been beaten by Corey, seeks him out only to find him in bed with Nancy getting down to it. That "bitch" Nancy has poisoned his mind against Kitty ..."

OK, even though I haven't gotten that far, it doesn't surprise me. I know Nancy has poisoned his mind against Kitty and all, but the whole gettin' busy part doesn't surprise me in this OTT WTF of a book. :P

message 32: by Karla (last edited Oct 04, 2011 10:08AM) (new)

This one is reminding me more and more of Fern Michaels, which I normally enjoy, but after the very Rosemary Rogersesque Love & War, getting slapped so repeatedly with Fern's type of silly/stupid OTT WTFness has me frantically trying to shift gears (and failing).

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments It is awesome and I love it. I had to pick this book up as soon as I finished Raging Hearts. I was going to wait until every one else finished reading theirs but I had to know what happened next. I haven't read anything this good is many years. I love big fat epic historicals.

message 34: by Karla (new)

And I'm seeing Kitty as one of Fern's dumbly forthright heroines, like marching into a bank saying, "I want a loan in order to pay off the tax bill!" and then being told the subtleties of elementary banking and being made to look like a total fool. All guns blazing and shrieking at the top of her lungs like a moron. :P

And Corey is so hilarious that I've been LOLing at all his scenes from the first time I saw him. :D He's been pretty much this guy (only with a raging boner 24/7):

So yeah, an Anne Stuart hero. ;-)

message 35: by Karla (new)

I did catch another tit tumbling. I think you just passed the part too.

message 36: by Karla (new)

Lynn wrote: "It is awesome and I love it. I had to pick this book up as soon as I finished Raging Hearts. I was going to wait until every one else finished reading theirs but I had to know what happened next...."

I'll be taking a break from this series for a bit, not least of the reasons being that I no longer have Book 3. :P You can keep it as long as you want, Jeanine. ;)

message 37: by Karla (new)

♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Oh yes update - on page 422 -

**4 foot stomps
**4 tit tumbling"

That is really low compared to Book 1! :D

message 38: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Oh yes, the chin is still jutting out and the titties are still tumbling out, not to mention the nipples being pinched hard.

message 39: by Karla (new)

Her nipples must be starting to look like a boxer's cauliflower ear....

message 40: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I am surprised their still intact. Seems like that is the first thing these perverted bastards go after. Now Luke is having a field day with them.

message 41: by Karla (new)

I think I'll be the lone man out on Raging Hearts. OK, but very disappointing compared to Book 1. :(

Review

message 42: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments What? You're disappionted? It was different. It did not have as much history about the Civil War as Love & War did. This is about the end of the war and the aftermath in trying to rebuild life.

message 43: by Karla (last edited Oct 04, 2011 03:01PM) (new)

I thought the whole Reconstruction aftermath and the nastiness of certain individuals preying on others - and the desperate struggle to survive, blacks and whites alike - was done better in Moss Rose.

Plus that one has the hero and heroine together for most of the whole book. I don't mind the huge separations in these oldies, but I just thought that Kitty & Travis' separation here was a wee bit contrived. I thought the story and writing didn't have the same zip and punch that Dark Fires had to offset a book-long separation. The comparison to Moss Rose is probably unfair, because the heroine Dulcie is a bit older than Kitty, who is screamingly immature, despite her trials. Dulcie & Adam have their problems, but they're both mature adults.

I'll continue reading this series, though. I hope that all the future heroines aren't xerox copies of Kitty. That will get a bit wearying after awhile.

message 44: by Karla (new)

Yeah, Kitty and Travis are a lot like Steve & Ginny, and by Book 3 of that series I wanted to kill both of them. They weren't doing anything new. It was the same old thing and neither one grew in the characterization department. :-\ Sounds like it's the same thing with Travis and Kitty.

Hopefully there'll be an explanation about Kitty's sudden poverty, because that's a pretty big continuity goof.

You keep pressing on with reading them back to back. I'm here if you need me. :D

message 45: by Karla (new)

And her hair was two different shades in Book 2...

message 46: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments You do get a brief explanation as to why Kitty is no longer the richest woman in the country in book 3.

I loved The Raging Heart, maybe not quite as much as Love & War, because I like reading about the Civil War. I thought the last half was gripping and kept you on the edge of your seat wondering what disaster would befall Kitty next.

Love & Glory is good, not as good as 1 # 2 but it keeps you turning the page. I will definately read the entire series but I may take a break inbetween. I need to see how this one ends.

message 47: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I am thoroughly these updates. Keep 'em coming :D

message 48: by Karla (new)

OMG, quick! Make it a drinking game! Take the edge off! :D

Hmmm, hopefully Book 4, when we get to another heroine, will be better...

(That plan of hers really is full of stupid. Wow. And now I sorta kinda wanna read this one soon. LOL Good thing you have my copy.)

message 49: by Karla (new)

I think Kitty has made me appreciate the heroine in The Ravishers all the more. At least she knows when to keep her mouth shut and not blow her cover and she really does love her man...

message 50: by Karla (new)

Yup, I think you've gotten sucked down the Coltrane rabbit hole. :D

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Love and Fury (other topics)
The Raging Hearts (other topics)
Love and Dreams (other topics)
Love and Glory (other topics)
Love and War (other topics)
More...