Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Book Discussions > Black Hills

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jenjn79 (last edited Apr 22, 2009 08:41PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 290 comments Mod
I dug up some info on Nora's hardcover for 2009. It's called Black Hills, due out in July 2009 (at least that's what Amazon says). The summary sounds really interesting. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Nora Roberts - Black Hills
Black Hills by Nora Roberts

A summer at his grandparents’ South Dakota ranch is not eleven-year-old Cooper Sullivan’s idea of a good time. But things are a bit more bearable now that he’s discovered the neighbor girl, Lil Chance, and her homemade batting cage. Even horseback riding isn’t as awful as Coop thought it would be. Each year, with Coop’s annual summer visit, their friendship deepens from innocent games to stolen kisses, but there is one shared experience that will forever haunt them: the terrifying discovery of a hiker’s body.

As the seasons change and the years roll, Lil stays steadfast to her dreams of becoming a wildlife biologist and protecting her family land, while Coop struggles with his father’s demand that he attend law school and join the family firm. Twelve years after they last walked together hand in hand, fate has brought them back to the Black Hills when the people and things they hold most dear need them most.

An investigator in New York, Coop recently left his fastpaced life to care for his aging grandparents and the ranch he has come to call home. Though the memory of his touch still haunts her, Lil has let nothing stop her dream of opening the Chance Wildlife Refuge, but something . . . or someone . . . has been keeping a close watch. When small pranks and acts of destruction escalate into the heartless killing of Lil’s beloved cougar, recollections of an unsolved murder in these very hills have Coop springing to action to keep Lil safe.

Lil and Coop both know the natural dangers that lurk in the wild landscape of the Black Hills. But now they must work together to unearth a killer of twisted and unnatural instincts who has singled them out as prey.

message 2: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) YAY! Cool - I didn't know she had another one lined up.

message 3: by Teryl (new)

Teryl That sounds way better than her last hardcover.

message 4: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 283 comments I hope it's better than the last. I enjoyed it but not as much as I had hoped for.

message 5: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 40 comments If you're talking about Tribute, hush, LMAO! I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. I can't afford Hardcover, so I wait, rather impatiently I might add, for the MMP.

Isis, I went on Amazon.com, but I didn't see a synopsis on Black Hills, only that it's due out on July 7th, '09 in Hardcover. I went on her website as well but didn't find anything on it.

But I can tell you what I did find: a new book due out in MMP called Vision in White, Wedding Quartet Book #1. Mind you, there wasn't a synopsis on this one either, but I always anxiously await anything new with her name on it, LOL!

message 6: by jenjn79 (new)

I found a summary on some board by doing a search on Google...otherwise, there's not much to find on that book, or the new series coming out.

message 7: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 40 comments Awesome! Thanks for the tidbit, Isis. I'll do exactly that when I get back from my usual Friday night pitshop at my local bookstore, LOL!

message 8: by jenjn79 (new)

If you're looking to read the summary, I added it to the book entry here at GR...there's a link in the first post I made.

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 40 comments Thank you, LOL! I'm looking at it right now!

message 10: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 40 comments Ooo-eeee! Can't wait to get my hands on it now, LOL! Meanwhile, if Black Hills isn't due out until July in HC, that means I'll have to wait for the MMP. Darn, shouldn't have read the synopsis, LMAO!

message 11: by jenjn79 (new)

Gina, can't you get them at the library? I do that with Brockmann's releases then buy them in MMP when the come out since I can't afford to buy many hardcovers. NR is the only one I'll spend that much money on.

message 12: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 40 comments Isis, I don't do the library thing - chalk it up to a bad experience as a teen; a missing book and me being blamed when I already brought it back then forced to pay for it. Before that, I was at the library once/twice a week - no joke! I've never been back since. If I had research to do, I went to the school library and no further than that. And that's okay, really. I prefer owning them. I own every single Nora and J.D. novel. As my fave author, I prefer it that way.

message 13: by jenjn79 (new)

I can definitely sympathize with the problems with libraries thing. I got racked over the coals once about a fine and I didn't use the library for years. But now I'm there quite often. Not so much lately since I have such a huge TBR pile already. But I still go enough. And I already have a HOLD out for Brockmann's upcoming hardcover.

message 14: by jenjn79 (new)

The cover is out for Black Hills! It's very pretty.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/6...

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkloempken) That is a very intriguing cover...I may have to preorder the book so I can read it as soon as it is released!

message 16: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Just read the synopsis on Amazon, sounds really good...can't wait to read it!! Another reason to look forward to summer!

message 17: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Just saw the paperback version of Tribute at Walmart annnnnnd there was an excerpt of Black Hills in the back!!!! I was so excited, I read it on the spot...it sounds soooooo good...the h/h meet as kids, there interaction reminded me of Honest Illusions...the h/h grew up together in that one too.

Can't wait for July!!!

message 18: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Amar wrote: "Just saw the paperback version of Tribute at Walmart annnnnnd there was an excerpt of Black Hills in the back!!!! I was so excited, I read it on the spot...it sounds soooooo good...the h/h meet as..."

I like those kinds of reunion stories, too, Amar. :D

message 19: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments I am RUNNING to Barnes and Noble tomorrow morning :-) Can't wait!

message 20: by SoBeA (last edited Jul 07, 2009 02:02PM) (new)

SoBeA (sobe1982) | 8 comments Amar wrote: "I am RUNNING to Barnes and Noble tomorrow morning :-) Can't wait!"

I just got back from B&N's a little while ago (I printed their 40% off coupon right before I left, so I got to get an extra book too :) ) and am about to start it now :)

Just a note to anyone who still hasn't gotten it and is planning to buy it...Border's has it for 30% off the list price, plus they just emailed a 20% off coupon, so you can get it there for a better price :)

message 21: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I'm hoping to grab my copy tonight! :D

message 22: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments it's a good deal at Costco too $14.69!

message 23: by jenjn79 (new)

It was $18-something at Target where I got it. I would have use my B&N or Borders coupon to get it cheaper but I didn't have time to go to either store and I wanted to start reading today.

message 24: by La-kesha (new)

La-kesha | 5 comments I purchased as an ebook, hope to start reading tonight?

message 25: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 7 comments I am about half way through this book. I am really enjoying it so far. Loved how she started this one! Excited to see how it ends...

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellywriter) | 24 comments I finished it and I loved it. I loved learning about cougars and their habits. I like the way Nora researches her books and gets the professions of her characters so accurate.

message 27: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I agree Kelly. No matter what industry the heroine is in, Nora seems to know it inside and out.

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill | 6 comments Somehow I missed that this one was coming out. I checked our library website and their copy is supposed to come back on the 13th so when I am there later this week I'll have to look for it. Iused to save all my books and then my house started to look like a library, so now I just try to save my very favorites and either borrow from the library or give away/sell/trade others when I am done with them. I love paperbackswap.com (someone else mentioned it in one of the intro posts)!

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments Jill, I have this on hold from my library. I am number 24 of 35 holds. Good luck finding it from a library, it may take a while to get it. but I am looking forward to reading it.

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill | 6 comments Our library has a copy so at some point I know I'll get to read it. I have so many started right now and TBR I'm not going to worry about getting it right away. Do you belong to a really big library that there are so many people waiting for it?

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kronk I can't speak for Emily, of course, but, living in Chicago there is a huge library system but a lot of people use it. I just put the new Dan Brown on hold for my b/f and I just told him, "It's going to be awhile." They must have over 20 copies that are registered and all have a hold (or more than one) already on it.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill | 6 comments We used to live in Las Vegas and I loved their library system. There were at least 12 libraries and when you put in a request you got a spot on the list and the next available book. With new ones they had bunch like you mentioned and with older ones they might only have a copy at one library but with their system they would bring it to the one usually went to. Where we are now the libraries are all smaller and you can either pay to do an interlibrary loan or drive to the other library. Plus their collections are a lot smaller and it takes a while for them to get new stuff.

message 33: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Jill, what, you have to pay for interlibrary loans?? our library system is similar to the one you described in Vegas, about 15 libraries and you can put in a request and get books any one of them.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments My Library sounds like its the same As jill's. Its a big community, riverside california, and there are at least 8 library's that are in teh system. anyone can request a book from any of the library's to check out. I think they only have one copy of black hills and there seem to be a lot of Nora fans in this area. I am always trying to find her books but I have just started requesting them lately to make sure I get them.

message 35: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 36 comments I just finished it! It took me 3 weeks to get from the library but it was worth it! It reminded me of Carolina Moon a little bit. Definite has movie potential!

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments I could kick myself. I was close to the top on my library waiting list and accidentally deleted my hold! I was so mad at me. I did go back and found out something interesting. they have Black Hills in Large print and there was only one hold on it (instead of 35). so I put a hold on that one for me. I should get it sooner now. LOL thats a good trick to keep in mind when there is a long line at the library for a book you really want.

message 37: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Sorry to hear that Emily...but good to hear about the Large Print book...I do that too, order the LP cause there isn't a wait.

message 38: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments Yeah, It was a total accident and I couldn't fix it. I lost my place in line for like 4 books. But finding the Large print for black hills will get it to me sooner than I would have had it anyway so I can't be too upset. LOL I know not to hit that button anymore though.

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 3 comments I just bought this yesterday because it was just released in paperback! I really like it so far. For some reason the books Nora writes that show different stages of the protagonists life are always a big hit for me. I love the saga feel to them and love seeing how entwined lives can be. I can't wait to finish it.

message 40: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Did anyone read the Search excerpt at the end of the paperback version of Black Hills? I read the first page, sensed impending doom in the prologue (hate when that involves the hero or heroine!) and chickened out...wahhh, this one is going to be a tearjerker!

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 3 comments Amar, I read the excerpt. I don't think there will necessarily be any tragedy for the protagonists. The whole excerpt was introducing the heroine. She works search and rescue with her dog.

message 42: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Oh good, Catherine, i thought for some reason the couple in that excerpt was the hero with his wife whom he lost in a tragedy...whew, glad it wasn't!

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 3 comments I did too when I started it. I thought it was going to be a beginning tragedy like in Birthright.

Her job sounded very interesting. I love how Nora Roberts has such different careers for her books. It's nice to get a peek into such a different career.

message 44: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 24 comments My mother just loaned me this book and I will read it soon. I have a couple of others stared now, but look forward to it soon!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Hills (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nora Roberts (other topics)