What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. book for young children with the line "and a bee on your nose"

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments I don't remember too much about this book.

For young kids; I read it to a 4 year old girl I worked with in 1980 so it was out at least by then.

Probably considered a 3-6 year old book?

Text (possibly in rhyme but not sure) and pictures.

And one line that went something like: "...and a bee on your nose."

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

message 2: by bup (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

bup | 77 comments Is it possibly "I can Trick a Tiger"?

http://inbooks.co.kr/shop/inflection_...

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments bup,

While I'm not positive, I don't think so. The only editions I can find are 2005 & 2006, and my public library doesn't have any copies for me to check it out. But, thanks so much for trying to help.

If anyone else can help, either seconding this book or suggesting others/another, I'd appreciate any help in finding it. Thanks.

message 4: by Leela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Leela Let's see...the cadence of that line, and the presence of a bee, reminds me of "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss. The line is, "as if he had smallish bees up his nose." I realize that's a stretch, though.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments No, that's not it Leela, but thanks for trying. Just re-read my copy of The Lorax to make certain. The book I'm thinking of, I do think the exact quote was: "...and a bee on your nose." And think (it's been 27 years so not sure) that on that page there was a picture of a bee flying with a picture of a kid looking at it. And vs. The Lorax, the language/rhymes and the drawings/pictures were simpler and don't think there were any "pretend" words.

message 6: by TJ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

TJ Richter | 4 comments It's from Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments TJ, It's one I don't own. Will check it out from the library to see for myself and to remind myself of how much I like it/how I'd rate it. But you seem sure, so thank you very much!

message 8: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

rivka | 298 comments Amazon will let you search inside. I don't see the line in question; the closest is: "with a rose on his nose and a bee on his knee". But that line appears a LOT. :D

Oh, and it looks like it was published in 1993.

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Yes, I know, and I've looked there and elsewhere, but it's hard to tell.

I remember an illustration of a boy not a giraffe and remember color illustrations, not b & w.

So I'll wait for my library copy to come.

BUT it was 27 1/2 years ago and I read it once to a child, maybe a few more times, but it was that once I remember. A long, long time ago...

Put the probably in the "solved" for now 'cause it just doesn't seem like it, but it's just too similar to not seriously check it out. Have a feeling it must be it. Should know soon.

Thanks for all the help given in this thread!

message 10: by TJ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

TJ Richter | 4 comments oh gosh, you're right! It was a rose on his nose and a bee on his knee! Ooops so sorry. I read the bee and nose thing and my mind immediately went to Giraffe and I sent the post without thinking it through. Again sorry for the the false solve!

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments TJ, And yet it might be a correct solve on your part and an incorrect memory on mine. Will read the book when the library copy arrives and check it out. Thanks so much for responding. You may have found my "lost" book, and, even if it's the wrong book, I'll get to read another cute kids' book.

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Rivka, Re your addendum on message #8, I didn't see it until got it in my email just now. When I was searching I found a 40th anniversary edition of Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein so it's old enough that I could have read it in 1980. But thanks.

Do wish Amazon, etc. had original publication dates on their book pages, not just current & recent in print edition dates. I often need to look up the original publication date. Not a huge deal. But it's interesting to see when a book first came out.

message 13: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

rivka | 298 comments Do wish Amazon, etc. had original publication dates on their book pages, not just current & recent in print edition dates.

Agreed!

message 14: by Evan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Evan | 27 comments They sort of do, but you have to work for it. For every book I've seen that has their 'search inside' feature, they show the copyright page. "A Giraffe and a Half" shows 1964. It does seem like it wouldn't be difficult to paste that info into the main book page though.

message 15: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

rivka | 298 comments That is an excellent point. I will have to remember to check that the next time I'm trying to determine original publication date.

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Evan, Thanks. Like Rivka, me too.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Bump: Thanks for your help everybody, but it’s not A Giraffe and a Half. (Just got my library copy of that book.)

I’m almost positive the exact line was “…and a bee on your nose.” And the illustrations were in color, not in b & w. And one page the illustration was of a boy watching a bee very close to his face.

Maybe some old-timer child librarian or someone who was a young child in 1980 or earlier will remember this???

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments one final bump in case the miraculous Krista or someone else can get this

message 19: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 451 comments Lisa, I am going to bump this one (from the very last on the list) up to the top because I know you are still a super active member who would never abandon a query.

I hope some new member will see this and know just the book you are looking for.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Thanks, You're correct, Needleroozer. And I still haven't found it. Have found most I've looked for but not all.

There is another thread where I think I know what the book is but I need a description from someone who knows it to make certain. I should look for that one.

And thank you for bumping up this one, and for all the work you're doing for this group and all our members.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Jolet Leenhouts A Bee Sat on My Nose

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=a+bee+......"

Thanks, but that's not it. The first edition was published in 1997 and I read this during the summer of 1980.

Also, the rhyme was extensive and the line "and a bee on your nose" was a small part of the story rhyme, if I'm remembering correctly.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I did a little bit more poking around and it looks like the book may have just picked up a traditional finger-play. Said finger-play may have been the inspiration for your book, possibly. But even if I'm right that doesn't help us find it. :(

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Feb 20, 2012 04:40PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Cheryl, I wish I could remember it better. But as I recall it was a rhyming story and that one line was on its own like that. I was reading it to a 4 year old girl and put my finger on her nose at that line, something she got a kick out of. But the rest of the book was simply a rhyming story. That's the only line I remember from it and I don't remember what the story was about. I should probably do another google books search. But the book is at least 31-1/2 years old, possibly much older.

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) You don't remember if it was a library story book, or a school primer, do you? It just sounds so much like the books I knew when I was little, over 40 years ago, that used verse to teach children to read, and that teachers would build little lessons & activities around. The line also sounds familiar to me.

message 26: by Lisa (last edited Feb 20, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments I don't think so but I'm not sure. It was a book on a children's hospital ward, just one of the picture books off the shelves. (And the unit closed down years ago, unfortunately.)

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) ok, I'll just keep the thought in the back of my mind

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "ok, I'll just keep the thought in the back of my mind"

Thank you very much, Cheryl. And everybody.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21822 comments Mod
Lisa, are you still looking for this book?

message 30: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2087 comments If bee is in the title, should it be a repeated thing in the story and a picture book, have you tried examining these results?
Worldcat.org: Search results for 'ti:bee' > '1950..1980' > 'Book' > 'Fiction' > 'English' > 'Juvenile'

message 31: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21822 comments Mod
No response from Lisa, moving to Abandoned.