The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Favorite British TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments It seems that the Masterpiece Theater thread is just begging for this sister thread to be created! ;-> I already know some of you share my obsession with shows originally airing on the British telly! ;-> Here's your chance to gush about them at length.

Some of my very-favorites:

"Keeping up Appearances"
Hyacinth Bucket (that's pronounced "Bou-quet"!) has been amusing me for years; she is so deliciously annoying!
http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Up-Appe...

"House of Eliott"
a newly discovered favorite! Sisters in 1920s London trying to start a fashion house, become independent women in a world dominated by men (yet also find time for a bit of romance).
http://www.amazon.com/House-Eliott-Co...

"Rosemary and Thyme"
Cute cozy-mysteries that revolve around flora and gorgeous British gardens/homes.
http://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Thyme-...

I've also just discovered "Good Neighbors" (airing in the UK as "The Good Life") and find it really sweet and endearing. About a couple from the 'burbs who decide to shuck it and try smallholding (sustainable living with their own backyard farm). The couple is so darling and it's great to see a happily married couple working together as a loving and committed team.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...

message 2: by Dottie (last edited Oct 13, 2008 03:46PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I watched House of Eliott when it first aired -- lovely series. Discovered Keeping Up Appearances while living in Belgium and was glad to see it turn up here on PBS stations.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Rosemary and Thyme is very entertaining. I was also a big fan of Absolutely Fabulous. I do believe there were ABFAB references on GG, "sweetie darling".

message 4: by Melissa (last edited Oct 14, 2008 07:15AM) (new)

Melissa (melissaceo) | 11 comments Coupling
Ab Fab
Gavin & Stacy
Skins
Life on Mars

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I'm in love with "House of Eliott"!! I've seen season one and just adore it!!:D

I'm also a huge fan of "Keeping Up Appearances" it makes me laugh out loud every time I watch! :D

And I adore (I think I posted this somewhere already, but why not mention it again;>) "As Time Goes By" - so sweet! It's not the same kind of "funny" as "Keeping Up Appearances" but more the humor is in the characters and every-day-life-situations. Very sweet and well written and acted.:)

message 6: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Rigby (charlotterigby) Im from the UK, and i love Waterloo Road!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Dr. Slippery.
It's a comedy (I don't classify it as Sitcom on purpose) about a doctor and his weird family life.
The doctor is actually played by British actor Hugh Laurie who also plays Dr. House in the American hospital drama House, M.D. (also a show I love).

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments I like Dr. Who. :-) It is interesting.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) My favorite is one that isn't on the air anymore: Ultraviolet.

Vampires and Jack Davenport! Oh my! :)

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I think "Jack Davenport" is the quintessential British name!:D So delightful!:D

message 11: by akaellen (new)

akaellen | 7 comments My newest love is Gavin and Stacy. I also like torchwood, Keeping up Appearances, Top Gear (love), and I really liked Gordon Ramsays F Word.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (joysdivision) | 6 comments I'm personally a huge fan of "The Vicar of Dibley" and an older one called "Father Ted."

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Wolsey I really loved Red Dwarf at one point. But I have always loved Are You Being Served. 'Allo 'Allo was fun, and Keeping Up Appearances was good as well. Ah Hyacinth, you crack me up.

message 14: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
All time favorite shows (in any country) are Murphy's Law and Life on Mars (obviously the original - not this watered down, beef-cakey version that just started here in the states). Also MI-5 (called "Spooks" in the UK) is a top show. I own four seasons of that last one, and only don't own the others because they aren't available for our players (and they are bloody expensive when they are). By the way, that is significant because I rarely will want to regularly re-watch a series (other than Gilmore Girls, of course!! LOL - by the way, GG is the only other series I do own!).

There was a mini-series called Five Days that was made by the BBC in conjunction with HBO last year that was brilliant, as well.

I LOVE James Nesbitt in Murphy's Law. Genius! But the way that Life on Mars played with your head while keeping you COMPLETELY compelled was poetry on screen - utterly fabulous! MI-5 (Spooks) is a brilliant spy drama that keeps you on your toes and has some of the most intense scenes I've ever experienced - I couldn't breathe. Literally.

message 15: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

But of course, I ADORE the 10th Doctor (Doctor Who). And Torchwood, which I oddly discovered first, is wicked fun!

Is anyone watching Primeval? I'm enjoying it (currently airing weekly on BBC America), but wish they'd go back to Claudia rather than Jenny (if you watch it, you understand). It's not of the caliber of the other shows I mentioned, but I like the sci-fi-ish premise and the characters are fun. Plus the special effects are cool. It's really good, just not "BRILLIANT!" LOL

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (joysdivision) | 6 comments I realise suddenly that apparently no one has mentioned "BlackAdder" yet, so I need to chime back in, I adore that show... how can you not love "House, MD" before he was House, and Mark Darcy before he was Darcy?

After University in Ireland, I came to the understanding with myself that I am completely unable to get into or care about "Coronation Street".

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 199 comments Black Adder

message 18: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Mighty Boosh

Black Adder is good as well. and I *still* need to check out Dr Who... where do I find the time?

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Totally what's with the new Life on Mars, everyone I know is talking about how good it is and how amazing that it's an American show, and my only response is that, it isn't and also I won't watch it anymore cause Philip Glenister isn't in it! Also did anyone watch the new one? Shot by shot word by word exact copy without the good acting or in fact originality.

Also I second Blackadder, Red Dwarf, three cheers for Dr. Who, yeah for Geraldine on Vicar of Dibley, though why the didn't put the Sting sketch on the final dvd is still a mystery to me. Also yes to Father Ted and Spider Baby! Also how about a little Ricky Gervais Stephen Merchant love?

message 20: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Phew, Elizabeth... you are WAY ahead of the curve! LOL

Live on Mars discussion:

As to Glenister - GOOD GOD did he make that show!!! I was laughing my arse off constantly when he was on the screen. And he played it so straight, you bought every word of it, yet couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth.

I thought John Simm was amazing in it (and therefore really enjoyed him in Doctor Who, by the way), But Glenister was too fantastic. Brilliant in every sense of the word. Man I wish I could get that show on DVD!!!

Oh, and Liz White did such a great job with the subtleties of wanting to believe, kinda liking him maybe, but being freaked out nonetheless. Gretchen Mol is in no way following suit... though she's doing better than some of the actresses out there could/would.

What I loved about the original LOM is that they made it really clear that Sam Tyler was a detective who focused almost entirely on forensics. They didn't make that point in the American one. Then, too, who was the genius that cast a big strapping burly tough guy in the Sam Tyler role? I mean, the idea was that he really wasn't the type to use force or throw fists. I loved that aspect - made it so funny when he did begin to follow the 1973 suit!!

Shoot! One thing I forgot to look for! Did they have the leather jacket??? In the American version, I mean.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah, they did have the leather jacket! Have you seen the LOM spin-off? Ashes to Ashes I think might be better, I think mainly because it's really more about Gene Hunt, and they let him havea boat in one episode and a beter car and he now calls himself the gene genie (I don't think he did that in LOM but I could be wrong).

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I am quite an Anglophile so the list is endless! The Vicar of Dibley, AbFab, Doctor Who (Drs 9 and 10), Coupling, Rosemary and Thyme, Midsomer Murders, The Royal, Jam and Jerusalem (Clatterford in the US), The Street. I just started watching Torchwood (I loves me some Captain Jack) and Hex. Even though they take place in Scotland and Ireland respectively, I also love Monarch of the Glen and BallyKissAngel!

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Thanks for all these great ideas! Now, if only I can find some at my local library as I can't afford to go off and buy the DVD collections straight away! ;-p

message 24: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Rigby (charlotterigby) ooh - i remember monarch of the glen :D good program :)
also, i liked down to earth

message 25: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments thought of another one...Spaced!

and I agree Monarch of the Glen and BallyKissAngel were good too. :)

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Totally Spaced! (And John Simms makes a very odd cameo in that!) Also I love Coupling, at least until Jeff left.

Also Netflix has most of these shows too if you library doesn't.

message 27: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I wanted to see the spin-off because Keeley Hawes is in it, and I really liked her in MI-5 (Spooks), so her with Glenister sounded great. Of course, I couldn't imagine it being quite as spectacular as the first because... the 70's is a whole other planet to the 80's for one.

Okay, out of boredom I watch the American version of LOM again last night. WTF??? What's with the rover thing? So lame. I LOVED how spooky it was in the original when the different mechanical things around him were picking up signals. But they always fit in the environment. Like a transistor radio or a police radio (hand held or in the car) or the telly. It caused you to really wonder what on earth (or mars) was going on - kept you guessing!

To that, it's depressing there is so little good programming on (here in America) these days.

message 28: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I used to watch Monarch of the Glen, because it was on when I did certain projects. So long as I was listening to a Scottish accent, I was happy. LOL

Actually, I prefer shows in Scotland I think. Not just because of the accent. Maybe a little because I left my heart there, but it was fun.

Has anybody seen the original Eleventh Hour? I adore Patrick Stewart, so I have done. The new American version is just so dull in comparison (again), but not so annoyingly so as LOM.

So nobody is watching Primeval?

message 29: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

P.S. I was wrong about Gretchen Mol. She's appalling in LOM!

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Where do you see these shows? BBC?

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Ooh! I love Patrick Stewart, too!!! Is he in the current Eleventh Hour or the original??

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Well, I rent and download is where I get my fix, because let's face it, even if PBS does eventually air them, or bbcamerica, or wherever, they are usually edited and about a year to 2 after their original airdates.

Anybody else watch Lark Rise to Candleford? God I can't wait for the new season, which was moved up to December instead of March!

message 33: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Ann, Patrick Stewart is in the original Eleventh Hour (Rufus Sewell with an American accent in the current one). But BBCAmerica is showing them again now and then so have a look if you have cable.

BTW, does anyone have any idea how hard it is to type with wet nail polish???

That's it, Elizabeth... I'm going to see if that proxy thing works and start watching some of these shows!!! OH! But I have two Doctor Who episodes I've never seen recorded! Gah! What to do, what to do... ??

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments You watch the Dr Who while downloading!

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Aw bummer... I don't have cable ;P Well, that's okay, I'm sure I can hunt down the original Eleventh Hour somewhere. Anything for Patrick Stewart!:D

Actually, I've watched a few tv shows online this past week (something I've been avoiding the past several years) and I was amazed at the quality. Not bad at all! So, now I feel there's a whole new world of tv waiting for me on this delightful world wide web;>

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissaceo) | 11 comments I think the main reason modern American versions of BBC shows fail is because they are cast with 'beautiful' people rather than character actors who are attractive. They also try to hard to Americanize them. There is no reason to change anything but the location in LOM and 11th Hour. Instead they change names, attitudes, situations which is just plain wrong.

message 37: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

They didn't change names at all. They alter things here and there, but not much. It's just that all the edge is gone. And absolutely it is the "beautiful people" thing. Well, except that Patrick Stewart is in my opinion FAR more beautiful than Rufus Sewell!!! Hee!

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Speaking of Rufus Sewell, did you see him in Shakespeare Retold's version of Taming of the Shrew? Whoo boy. He is sex on a stick in that one. Yummy...

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I love "MI-5", also. Great cast. I love Hugh Laurie as the world-weary, super-arrogant head of MI-6 in the first season. Very posh, stiff upper lip in that stereotypical British way. The first two volumes are available for instant viewing on Netflix, which is free if you are already a member.

message 40: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments I love Spaced, Blackadder and The Office..

However my current favourite is The I.T. Crowd. Apparently there is an AMerican remake in the works too..Jeez is nothing sacred?I still can't bring myself to watch the Kath and Kim remake.

message 41: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

So I'd never heard of "Rosemary & Thyme" until this thread, then wouldn't you know it? It was on PBS the other night so I recorded it and several upcoming episodes! Funny. I liked it, too. Mysteries always seem to work for me. LOL

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (joysdivision) | 6 comments Just have to interject, I am terribly glad to have joined this group... you all "get it", which is rare. Should have figured, from a group of Gilmore Girls fans.

Thank you.

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I'm so glad you got to enjoy "Rosemary and Thyme," Michele! I think it is such a cozy-and-fun mystery show; nothing too elaborate, you're not gonna stay up at night marveling over the amazing detective work or complexities of plot, but it's diverting and enjoyable. And the GARDENS, ohmygosh! ;->

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments I also love Rosemary & Thyme, the gardens are always fabulous, and I love that in every episode they really don't see the murder coming and they drink alot of wine.

message 45: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Haha! Yes, aren't Rosemary and Thyme so precious and funny!? I love how they hear something go BUMP! in the night and rush right off to see what it is! ;-p Crazy, fearless, brave??? But such fun to watch!

message 46: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Elizabeth - you got me laughing out loud again with the wine comment! Hahahaha!

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Jennifer, I totally concur! :D

message 48: by Dini, the master of meaning (last edited Oct 30, 2008 07:28PM) (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Some of you have mentioned Dr. Who, and although I don't watch the show I thought of this group when I came across this article today...

Latest Dr. Who Retires His Tardis

message 49: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeymporter) | 26 comments I love love love "Midsomer Murders". My husband and I discovered them at the library this summer and we were more than a little obsessed with watching them whenever we could get our hands on a copy.

"Rosemary and Thyme" sounds exactly like something I would enjoy. I'm going to need to keep it in mind.

I also really enjoyed "The Vicar of Dibley". So much fun and often pretty clever.

I think I have a slight crush on anything village oriented.

Except, I also love "Prime Suspect" and that is definitely not a village type show.

This isn't TV, but has anyone seen "Green Fingers". It's a sweet little British comedy...and it has Clive Owen and Helen Mirren

message 50: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments "Green Fingers" sounds great just based on the cast!!!

« previous 1