Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

1 view
Book Reviews

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Caroline I'm curious: outside of Goodreads, where do you find reviews for books that might determine whether you buy them or not? Anyone have a fantastic review website/publication that a good review makes you run out to the store immediately, and a bad review makes you not look at the book twice in the bookstore?

Me, I've been subscribing to Bookmarks Magazine, but I've become increasingly disappointed with them being months and months behind (they just reviewed a book that came out in April, and that I read about two months ago!). I love the idea behind their reviews--they give their own personal rating along with mini-reviews from multiple other sources--but it's disappointing to realize that none of their reviews are very current.

Barnes & Nobles' "Discover Great New Writers" pamphlet is pretty handy, but it's very limited in the books it reviews considering it's debut books. There have been a number of times I'll just buy books based on the Discover's review alone.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 20, 2007 01:42PM) (new)

Powells.com has a daily review of a book, including any reader reviews. Usually they have something that at least makes me note the book's name for future investigation.

message 3: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

ScottK A lot of the Publishing houses have newsletters /emails that you can subcribe to that lets you know whats coming out or whats new. I know random house has one ..they also have a feature called author tracker that lets you pick specific authors to watch for I have found them fairly helpful.

message 4: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Before I found this website - I used bn.com like a junkie, but they have recently changed thier layout and format, and its not quite the same anymore. You cant preview anything ( I loved reading the first few pages of the books on line, you got a taste for the writing before you bought it).

I also browse the threads on the myspace bookclubs, I have picked up quite a few books just based on the reviews the ppl gave me...

message 5: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Doina | 58 comments I use powells.com for their great reviews. I especially like the staff picks/recommendation section. And I like amazon.com too for their reader reviews. But what ultimately makes me buy a book is me actually reading a few pages. I will look at a book based on the description and reviews, but if I don't get hooked by the writing style of the author I will not pick it up. Both amazon.com and powells.com have excerpts available for most books.

message 6: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

ScottK bookmovement.com(which I forgot about in my previous post) also is helpful because most of the books have excerpts. The only flaw I find in it is that they need to update it more regularly. It is a great resource for book clubs though because alot of the books also have discussion questions.Anyway I will stop rambling now. :)

message 7: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) If you are a fan of urban fantasy you will LOVE this blog..."Urban Fantasy Reader" at http://www.urbanfantasyreader.bravebl... . She not only reviews books that have just come out in the genre, but also posts covers and blurbs and excerpts months ahead of the time when the books will be published, so you can add your favorites and new ones to your TBR list. I just love it and go there every day to see what's new.

I also like this general books blog..."Book Chase" at http://www.BookChase.blogspot.com

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura: re BookChase. I checked it out and wound up bookmarking it. Thanks for the tip!

message 9: by Gavin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Gavin (gavin9) http://criticalcompendium.com/ collects reviews from all over. I use the RSS feed.

message 10: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Caroline Very nice, thanks for all the great recommendations! Not that I really need encouragement to buy, haha.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) In addition to being a total goodreads junkie, I also love book/lit blogs. I don't always have much time to read them, but when I do, I catch up on the substantial archives at my favorite, tales from the reading room. Her reviews are so articulate and thoughtful that most anything she recommends ends up on my to-read list.

A few other book sites I like for various reasons:

- eve's alexandria
- hobgoblin
- the reading experience
- book world