Quotable Quotes discussion

quotes that beg to be read aloud

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Kristin “And it was that self-same summer—June 5th, if precision is your watchword—that I first set eyes on a stringy southern hemisphere home-boy, a man-boy, a prankish puck by the name of La Roux (with very bad skin and even worse instincts), who sailed into the slow-beating heart of our half-arsed, high-strung, low-bred family, then casually capsized himself, but left us all drowning (now they don’t teach you that at the Sea Scouts, do they?).”

Five Miles From Outer Hope, Nicola Barker

message 2: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego Brilliant! You could TASTE the words.

message 3: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Alison I woke up as the sun was reddening; and that was the one distinct time in my life, the strangest moment of all, when I didn't know who I was — I was far away from home, haunted and tired with travel, in a cheap hotel room I'd never seen, hearing the hiss of steam outside, and the creak of the old wood of the hotel, and footsteps upstairs, and all the sad sounds, and I looked at the cracked high ceiling and really didn't know who I was for about fifteen strange seconds. I wasn't scared; I was just somebody else, some stranger, and my whole life was a haunted life, the life of a ghost. I was halfway across America, at the dividing line between the East of my youth and the West of my future.

"On the Road" J. Kerouac

message 4: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego I want to see everything now. And while none of it will be me when it goes in, after a while it'll all gather together inside and it'll be me. Look at the world out there, my God, my God, look at it out there, outside me, out there beyond my face and the only way to really touch it is to put it where it's finally me, where it's in the blood, where it pumps around a thousand times ten thousand a day. I get hold of it so it'll never run off. I'll hold on to the world tight some day. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning.

Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury

message 5: by erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

erin | 1 comments For need can blossom into all the compensation it requires. To crave and to have are as like as a thing and its shadow. For when does a berry break upon the tongue as sweetly as when one longs to taste it, and when is the taste refracted into so many hues and savors of ripeness and earth, and when do our senses know any thing so utterly as when we lack it? And here is the foreshadowing - the world will be made whole. For to wish for a hand on one's hair is all but to feel it. So whatever we may lose, very craving gives it back to us again. Though we may dream and hardly know it, longing, like an angel, fosters us, smooths our hair, and brings us wild strawberries.

from Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson