Axis Mundi X discussion

Favorite Quotes or Sayings

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away, plus, you'll have their shoes.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I love a shitload of Emerson quotes, but I'll start with:

Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony That's a great one, buns...

message 4: by Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (last edited Oct 13, 2008 11:23AM) (new)

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) Don't lead me into temptation. I can find my own way there
 Mae West.

message 5: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Ha ha ha ha... I like that one Petra.

Bunny... that's a great Emerson quote. I may have to put that one above my bed.

KD... I loves me some Groucho. Those are great ones.

"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."

message 6: by Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (last edited Oct 13, 2008 01:34PM) (new)

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on as quickly as possible. Its never of any use to oneself. The incomparable Oscar Wilde.

message 7: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
"80 percent of success is just showing up" — Woody Allen
I live by these words - just show up, even if you're dreading it. And usually, things end up going okay after all.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) Don't keep up with the Jones's, just drag them down to your level Quentin Crisp.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charly, that's a great writers quote!

message 10: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

well, it makes me feel less alone in the insomnia that accompanies working on this novel. Not that I'm getting a ton of writing done while I lay awake... but I can't stop thinking about the book regardless.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I meant to ask, are you also doing the artwork?

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

ayup

Al Capone: "You can get more from life with a kind word and a gun; then you can with just a kind word."

Cool beans. The wife just got news yesterday that her book is being delayed indefinitely :-/ I guess my retirement will have to wait... indefinitely.

Lou Holtz: "Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) "We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." The incomparably witty Oscar Wilde.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 83 comments "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

message 17: by Kristjan (last edited Oct 21, 2008 06:04AM) (new)

Kristjan (booktroll) "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate attire."

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) Rebecca - that is my no. 1 very favourite Oscar Wilde quote.

This really isn't a quote but the title of a book by Richard Farina, Been down so long it seems like up to me. But it might as well be.

message 19: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Ko, that's my favorite line from Young Frankenstein!

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx

:::waggles eyebrows, flourishes imaginary cigar:::

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) "When we work, we bloody well work. When we play, we bloody well play".
My dad's drill sergeant.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."
Woody Allen

message 22: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments "When small men cast big shadows, it means the sun is about to set"

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) "To you I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition." Woody Allen

message 24: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

*snerk*

Good one, Petra!

message 25: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Lyn Yutang, BunWatt.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 83 comments A few from Zamyatin:

"There are books of the same chemical composition as dynamite. The only difference is that a piece of dynamite explodes once, whereas a book explodes a thousand times."

"It is said there are flowers that bloom only once in a hundred years. Why should there not be some that bloom once in a thousand, in ten thousand years? Perhaps we never know about then simply because this "once in a thousand years" has come today."

*swoons* ;)

message 27: by Chantel (new)

Chantel "There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says ‘Good people drink good beer.’ Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad people drink bad beer. Think about it." -- Hunter S. Thompson

message 28: by Chantel (new)

Chantel "Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice"-- Sidney Freedman (M*A*S*H)

message 29: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments I have a favourite saying but I'm not sure who said it.

"The best things come in small packages" - my nan used to say this to me all the time - I'm only little and it used to make me feel better.

message 30: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

my grandfather used to tell us as we were sitting around the campfire and getting smoke in our faces while roasting marshmallows that "smoke follows beauty". It was definitely one of his more endearing moments. It beat the hell out of when he used to shoot rubber bands at us for fun.

message 31: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

... and Beauty was a horse, is the reply to that, Charissa. At least, it was when I was a teenager at summer camp. ;)

message 32: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Ha ha ha ha, Jackie. I never heard that. OMGPONY!!! Yay!

message 33: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Here are a few of Rusty's favorite quotes:

“You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...
You can, however, hold his head under ‘til you feel better about it.”

- Anonymous

“A good plan, violently executed, now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”

- George S. Patton

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

- Ronald Reagan

message 34: by Arminius (new)

Arminius The purpose of all wars, is peace.

Saint Augustine

message 35: by Chantel (new)

Chantel "Mmmm....that's somelicious" -- My 2 year old daughter eating make-believe food.

message 36: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Me fail English? That's unpossible.

- Ralph Wiggum

message 37: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

"To read makes our speaking English good."
— Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer