Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Dumbledore...gay?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by chynna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

chynna sorry, i dont know what happened to the discussion i posted earlier. But according to a question and answer book tour at Carnegie Hall, JK Rowling said she "always thought Dumbledore was gay" and that he originally fell in love with the wizard Grindelwald."

Here are some excerpts from the article..

"Rowling also said she had read through Steve Kloves' script for the movie adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and corrected a passage in which Dumbledore was reminiscing about past loves by crossing it out and scrawling "Dumbledore is gay" over it."

"Upon hearing her response, a hush fell over the audience in attendence and then applause exploded. Rowling remarked that if she had known that would be the response, she would've revealed her thoughts on Dumbledore earlier."

I don't think anyone ever really thought about or questioned Dumbledore's sexuality..I mean, he was an old man, and a father figure

here's the link to the full article. She discusses Ron's character if his father was to die in Order of the Phoenix, why she chose Molly to kill Bellatrix, & Neville and Hagrid's martial status.

http://www.hpana.com/news.20228.html

message 2: by Chicklet (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chicklet Thank you for posting this. I had not heard of this interview. Considering I just finished the book 7 last night, your timing is grand.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Mottaghinejad I always suspected that Dumbledore is gay, but this is one of those times when I'm not glad I'm right.

message 4: by Davidm (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Davidm I'm not sure that the "revelation" makes any difference in how we read the text--except to explain the previously strange way the young Dumbledore was so easily led astray by Grindelwald. He is still a "father figure" and a "wise man." His sexuality doesn't affect that.

message 5: by Bryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan I think that Rowling did it simply as a publicity stunt. If she really wanted Dumbledore to be gay, why didn't she mention it sometime in the past 7 or so years?

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Mottaghinejad I think David is absolutely right. It does explain why he was misled, but he really is still the character that he's always been, however we've perceived him.

message 7: by I.B.G. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I.B.G. Wiraga It makes sense, Dumbledore and Rowling are awesome

message 8: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracey i have to admit that i was surprised at the revelation. i had always thought that Dumbledore & McGonagall would hook up. :-) but when i heard about it, all of a sudden things started making sense to me about him...how Dumbledore was initially so caught up in anti-Muggle sentiment, how it took him several years before he would face & defeat Grindelwald, and how he spent the rest of his life championing the cause of love over hatred in all things. i think that his was a journey that would have shaken anyone to the core...it just so happens that he was gay. i came away with a different (and, hopefully, better) understanding of Dumbledore and his actions throughout the series.

message 9: by Maggie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie Evans I think it's kind of interesting that she decided to make Dumbledore gay. It sounds like she's trying to teach tolerance, almost. I personally think that it was a good idea to have one of the characters (even if he IS dead) be gay, just cause it's something different.

message 10: by Bryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan I still maintain that it is nothing more than a publicity stunt. It doesn't change my opinion of the books any, I still think they're awesome. BTW, has anyone heard about the book she's supposed to be writing that talks about how everyone's future turned out?

message 11: by Rayni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rayni I agree w/Bryan. I think it is a publicity stunt. It doesn't change my opinion of Dumbledore. He learned & grew from the experience. As far as the encyclopedia that Rowling is supposed to write, I read that she is suing some company for writing it. Anyone else heard anything like that?

message 12: by BookWorm (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

BookWorm i am so happy jk said it i love that hes gay it so awsome!!!!!

message 13: by Rayhan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Rayhan wow that scares me

message 14: by BookWorm (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

BookWorm thats true but wouldnt if be so freaking awsome if he was gay?!
besides just because she didnt put it in the book doesnt make it true or untrue,
but its what the WRITER of the book thinks about HER fictional character.
oh and since its fiction if harry wanted to blow up the moon he could, its just a freaking story
besides it shouldnt make any diffrence to how we veiw the books, there awsome and thats the bottom line!!!

message 15: by Rayni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rayni We can also argue that just because she said it doesn't mean that he is gay. A person's sexual preference isn't contagious & shouldn't be the basis that we judge someone on.

Yes, they are awesome. It's amazing that she has been able to get a whole generation of kids to read.

message 16: by BookWorm (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

BookWorm i know that, i wrote it all with a big grin on my face, i know what you ment, didnt mean to sound so serious. ;) hehe

message 17: by Bryan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan I think Hillary has a good point. Being in love doesn't mean that you want to go and sleep with the person. A strong friendship can be a more powerful form of love than just a strong sexual desire.

message 18: by Shelby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby Well, now we know why Dumbledore always cared so much about Harry..... :P

Still, even with Dumbledore's sexuality and all, HARRY POTTER RULES! I"m like obsessed....... True story: To get the book, I stayed up until midnight, went out, bought the book, and read the first 20 pages on the way home. At home, I read in bed until my dad came in to tell me to go to sleep. I said okay, and five minutes later I started reading again. Then my mom came in and told me to go to sleep, and five minutes later I started reading again. Then later my dad came in AGAIN to tell me to sleep, I said okay and kept reading. So I finished 150 pages by 1:30 in the morning and finally slept... That day we were flying to New York so I read on the way to the airport, at the airport, on the plane, in the taxi.... etc etc. I finished it that night!!!!!!!!!!!! So good.

message 19: by Shelby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby Also, in case anyone cares: I was thinking about that thing in the room with Harry and Dumbledore at the end (you know, the thing under the chair). I have an idea: was it the piece of Voldemort's soul that got attatched to Harry? What else would it be? Please reply!

message 20: by Rayni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rayni Shelby, cute dog in your avatar. I also think that the blob under the chair is the peice of Voldemort's soul that got attached to Harry. At the end, when they are dueling, Harry says to V to have some pity because he knows what he'll be. I read the ending again & caught so much more the second time through. I, like you, just gobbled the book up.

Oh, & BookWorm, it's hard to see the big grin on your face when we're reading cold, hard words :)

message 21: by Shelby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby I read it three times! I learned new stuff every time. RON AND HERMIONE!!!!!!!!!! HARRY AND GINNY!!!!!!!!!! TRUE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the dog is my puppy. she's really sweet and she knows three tricks: sit, lie down, and jump- she runs and jumps over two pillows to retrieve a stuffed animal.

message 22: by Chicklet (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chicklet No, I have not hear about her writing such a book. Thank you for telling me! I look forward to it. I've been wishing she would.

message 23: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brandon Kurtz I didn't pick up on the fact that he was gay when reading the books, but it definitely made his infatuation with Grindelwald more understandable, and added another layer of sadness and wisdom to the Dumbledore character.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I am in total agreement that Dumbledore's sexuality has no impact on his standing as a father figure and a wise man. And I don't think Rowling spoke about it as a publicity stunt. She had this entire world in her head; it was just full of the back story she didn't get to put on the page. I think she can be excused for sharing some of that with us, even when she's finished with writing about Harry.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

About JK writing another book - I haven't heard anything official about an encyclopedia on the Harry world, but I'm pretty sure she's writing an adult thriller! How exciting! Something completely new. And she never intended the Harry books to be for children; she wrote them as adult fiction.

message 26: by Rayni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rayni The encyclopedia info came from this interview http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/ on the Today Show July 24, 2007.

Maria Pretty strange that he's gay...but so...gay people are....cool i guess...(I AM NOT GAY!!!)

Chicklet Lol Maria! This reminds me of a story...
I once worked in an office with a gay co-worker named John. Yes, that's his real name, but it's so common I figure that's okay.
Anyway...we all (at least us co-workers, who knows about the higher ups) knew that John was gay but since he had not told any of us we figured he didn't want us to know. It's understandable...this is work and some people are prejudice. This led to some interesting conversations...
We all figured his "roomate" was more than that. So when John asks me for advice on his roomate one day I'm sitting there trying to answer in a way that applies to a love interest without sounding like I am.
But Maria's comment reminds me most of the following.
John says, with a little excitement, "Did you know that the gay pride parade is this weekend?" He looks at me expectantly. I was trying to be careful and to be honest and ended up saying very slowly that while it sounds very cool but I don't have a gay friend to go to it with and I don't want to go by myself because than people might think I'm gay and I'm not gay.
Yes, that did sound just as stupid as it looks!

Ilene It is very weird that JK Rowling made Dumbledore gay!! I am not against gay people or anything, but it is really weird!!

Maria it is weird! I mean...i didn't think of it at all!!! I hope the people who make the movies don't like mess up Dumbledor's character. like he starts flirting with Professor Snape! ok...i didn't need to say that! lol...you know what I mean though.

message 31: by 412 (new) - rated it 3 stars

412 No wonder Voldemort's afraid of the old man... Dumbledore could've snogged him senseless the moment Vol stepped into his office LOL

Anyway, this is JKR's publicity stunt i guess. HP7 is, after all, the last of the series, and some comments on it marked the book less than stellar.

Oh yeah, i heard that some sizable HP mailing lists closed down due to this gay issue, is it true?

Rayni 412, your first comment was priceless, I haven't laughed so hard for a long time. That's too bad that HP mailing lists closed down because of this issue.

Evidently at least one director knew D was gay because JKR said she told him in one of the filmings. So, they shouldn't screw up his character, at least I hope they don't capitalize on this.

I made some comment this weekend about Cary Grant being gay & my DH & SIL told me I had the wrong actor, it was Rock Hudson. Oh well, Rock Hudson was dreamy in all those Doris Day movies.

message 33: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy OK, I love JK and DD very much, DD being gay isn't the issue here...but what is the purpose of outing him now after staying silent through 7 books? And doesn't she know this will cast a shadow over his brilliant character? Still supportive, just questioning.

Meels Why would his being gay cast a shadow over his brilliant character? Maybe it makes his brilliant character that much more interresting!

Maria 412,
you're really funny!!!! lol! :)
but, I agree on JKR's publicity stunt!

It said in the article that like she (JKR)announced dumbledor's gay thing like it was sooooo obvious...and "not a BIG deal" kind of way....(am I making sense here?)

Did the HP mailing lists closed down? OMG! So...that's why I haven't gotten any mails from HP sites....no wonder....

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Vidmar I don't like dumbledore being gay. It doesn't make him seem like the trustworthy father figure i've always imagined him as. But I think it's up to the reader to decide whether he's gay or not. It isn't exactly part of the story, since she announced it after they were finished and since it isn't written in any of the books (ok, it could be hinted with the grindelwald thing) It isn't a vital part of the story. I like reading the books and thinking of dumbledore as i always have.

Malia yeah, if think that way it can still explain dumbledore. and yeah, bryan it's a publicity stunt. or is she trying to impose her own beliefs on readers? nah.... but the tone of the book DID changed in #7.

Jenny personally, I was ticked that she had to "make him gay" after the fact. I mean, why is it that everyone has to put a gay character in stories or shows now? It doesn't change a bit that they are still my favorite books ever, but come on...what's the point?

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Vidmar amen. but i still think it's up to the reader to decide, since she didn't actually write 'he was gay' in all her books. She might've written the story, but its up to the readers to decide how they interpret it.

message 40: by Amrita (last edited Feb 15, 2008 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amrita Personally, I think that Dumbledore's being gay doesn't make much of a difference to his character. In my mind, he hasn't really changed at all; he's still that wise and fatherly figure.

Michelle And skeeter said something strange about an unnatural atraction between dumboldor and Harry, so maybe she insinuated that there might something more.....

Michelle I don't know exactly what skeeter said but when I read it, I thought that she was insinuating homosexual feeling between Harry and Dumbledore.

Rayni Hmmm, don't remember that. What book was that in?

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Vidmar she might have said they were close.. but not meaning THAT way... :P

Rayni Well ... now that we "know" how Rowling perceived Dumbledore, I'm sure there will be more passages that come to light. And people will be reading the books just to find those passages & bringing them up to prove the point. Another reason to ban the books. Oh, well, I seem to like banned books.

message 46: by Penny (new)

Penny Sun I never really thought about Dumbledore because the story was so centered on Harry. It doesn't really bother me or surprise me. I still the stories kinda got progressively boring(er? is that a word, even?). However, the last few pages (before the epilogue) where everything was tied up was pretty good. Pretty surprising, actually. But the epilogue might have been a little too, well, happy, but I guess that if you're writing about the day your child goes to school, you don't exactly reminisce about all the trials you've gone through or anything...

message 47: by Kjanela (new)

Kjanela What does it matter if Dumbledore is gay... I prefer to look at the characters with my own perspective... I tend not to care what everyone else believes... Dumbledore was a great man and I think we should just settle with that!

message 48: by Penny (new)

Penny Sun true, i agree with kjanela that it doesn't really matter if Dumbledore is gay or not; he is still the same character he always was

Shelby I've reread the whole series since the whole "Gay Dumbledore" thing. There is nothing there to imply that he is gay. actually I too was feeling the McGonagal and Dumbledore attraction. The Grindelwald thing in the last book could have been a little gay but it sounds more like best friends to me. I've got nothing against J.K. but I think it was just for publicity.

Lady Amber (The Batty Bluestocking) When I saw the interview with Jo saying Dumbledore was gay I jumped up going "I frickin knew it"

« previous 1