300: The Art of the Film 300 discussion

Graphic Novels vs. Other Books.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Patrick So, tell me your opinions, everyone. Tell me what you think about Graphic Novels. Tell me why you think that they're superior to other books and/or tell me why you think that other books are much better.

I want to know if you like them, don't like them or are totally apathetic.

Discuss.

message 2: by Molly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Molly I definitely enjoy graphic novels. I wouldn't say they are superior to text-only books, but I also wouldn't claim them to be inferior. I think that the graphical nature adds another dimension to the work.

I just read American Born Chinese and loved it. The first graphic novel I read was Persepolis, which I frequently recommend to those who are reluctant to read graphic novels.

I really like that popular children's series such as The Babysitters Club and Goosebumps are now being published in graphic format. Graphic novels are great for capturing the interest of the reluctant reader, young and old. Can you tell I'm a librarian?

message 3: by beatnick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

beatnick If I had to answer this question a year ago my response would be much different, but recently I took a Humanities class where our prof made us pick a graphic novel to write a paper about. I chose Maus and enjoyed it so much, I to like Maya, bought Palestine,Persepolis, and Blankets. I wouldn't pick this genre on a regular basis but i do enjoy it once in a while.

message 4: by Andrew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Andrew I would have to say that I like both graphic novels, and non-illustrated literature, both for different reasons.

Graphic novels have the strength of communicating an action or place very directly. While many aren't always as focused on character development as they are on plot movement and action, there is a strong and growing number that are. Another strength lies specifically with surreal or altered-state types of material, which can easily loose its intensity in the more orderly world of type and white space. I think graphic novels serve best as a place where visual art and literature come together, much in the way that film serves for photography and literature.

Text-only books have the strength of spending more time in the headspace or dialogue driven worlds of the character than strictly action driven. Graphic novels rarely communicate some of the more subtle aspects of a scene in the way that well handled text can.

I usually read alot of history, classic and modern lit, sci-fi (or "Speculative Fiction"), as well as underground comix, modern graphic novels, and the old standby superhero stories. At the end of the day, sometimes you need a little cheap Pow! and Krakatow! for comfort.

I would love to see more graphic novels based on non-fiction historical accounts. I haven't yet read Maus, Persepolis, or American Born Chinese, but will definitely check them out in the near future.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Came across this while reading back posts (if you go back far enough nobody mentions anthing about Jacob or Bella or Edward, which is really refreshing!)

As a kid I read some of the graphic novelizations of 'classics' for young people. I seem to remember A Tale of Two Cities and The Three Musketeers. I never really loved graphic novels though, they slowed me down in getting through the story. I felt like I had to look a long time at each frame trying to not miss any thing. Also, the cartoonish breaking down of each scene - you can only have so much text per page or it becomes too dense and hard to read.

Also, I read VERY FAST, and while I read I feel that I have almost a film of the story taking place somewhere in my imagination. Graphic novels slow me down, take away "my" film of the book, and replace it with someone else's pictures. I'm explaining this badly, but it's hard to put into words. Typically I find I feel somewhat tense and frustrated as I look through a graphic novel.

Having explained why I don't love graphic novels, in the past few years I've read some really good ones. "Maus" was great, and the use of the different animals to portray the various characters was amazing. The Jewish Mice, Nazi Cats and Polish Pigs, and American Dogs said things about the characters of the groups being portrayed without writing a word.

Alison Bechdel's "Fun House" was excellent. I read this one after hearing someone on NPR talk about it. Like "Maus", "Fun House" is a biographical story about the artist's family. I like the drawing style of this one a lot, there are some sections that are typical Bechdel (like her cartoons), and other pages are immensely detailed drawings of photos.

"Persepolis" and "Mouse Guard: Fall 1152" are books I picked up at the library on a whim. The first one is another biographical story about the writer's life in Iran before and after the Revolution - and includes time she lived in Europe while attending school. I'd be interested in reading a novel by the author, I enjoyed "Persepolis", but it was a case of the graphic novel leaving me hungry for more of the story. You can only show so much in a picture, I saw what she did, but felt that I didn't know why she did it.

"Mouse Guard: Fall 1152" is a sort of Robin Hood story with Mice as all the good guys (and some of the bad guys too) and snakes, ferrets, rats, etc. as the bad guys. Typical sword and sandal stuff familiar to anyone who reads fantasy, and muscular, powerful drawings. No pretty-pretty Miss Tiggywinkle animals here.

My local library has a section for graphic novels and manga (I'm not sure what the differenc is, and have never picked up a manga) so obviously graphic novels (are they comics for adults?) are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. Maybe a generation of readers who played video games during their childhoods likes for their books to have art, and not just a few illustrations? I don't know, but it's a thought.

message 6: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa I think that the message and story are more important than the medium used.
All movies aren't Citizen Kane, all books aren't War And Peace, and all comics aren't Maus.
There's a lot of rubbish in all the mediums, but there are gems too.
Current top comic writer for me is Warren Ellis...love his "Fell".