readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > This Might Sound Weird

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CandyStripedBlue (last edited Sep 16, 2011 12:30PM) (new)

CandyStripedBlue | 2 comments Yeah, so this might sound weird, but... I'm looking for a book that is the literary equivalent of Edvard Munch's "The Scream." You see, I'm really into novels about young people with angst and existential issues, but at the same time, I don't want to read some cheap teeny novel. I kind of want to read something demanding and serious. So yeah.

And I've already read The Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey, and The Bell Jar, but I'm trying to find something else that's like that and maybe a little more difficult and interesting.

-------

God I'm such a typical teenager. Me and ma angsty books. lol

message 2: by CandyStripedBlue (last edited Sep 16, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

CandyStripedBlue | 2 comments Examples of books I like: Nausea, The Journals of Malte Laurid Brigge, The Tropic of Cancer, Candide, Journey to the End of the Night.

But I'd like to find something a little more relevant to our time and is written more recently.

message 3: by Sparrow (last edited Sep 16, 2011 01:20PM) (new)

Sparrow (Sparrow27) | 194 comments I think K.I. Hope's books have that feel. Particularly hector, but also This is Not a Flophouse.

Also, maybe, Crime and Punishment and Tender is the Night, but those are older.

message 4: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1314 comments Mod
i don't know if i would call these "demanding and serious", but they definitely involve the themes you are looking for. i would read the first few pages and take it from there:

This Book Will Save Your Life

Prescription for a Superior Existence: A Novel...

message 5: by Patricia (last edited Sep 16, 2011 03:23PM) (new)

Patricia (rizeandshine) Well, it's a really short read and the protagonist isn't as young as Holden Caulfield but you might enjoy The Stranger. It's the only book I've read by Albert Camus but it made me curious to read more.

message 6: by Rod (last edited Sep 16, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Rod (Baron_von_Rodenheimer) | 19 comments Hunger by Knut Hamsun. It's on my to-read list, haven't read it yet, but it sounds right up your alley.

Lanark: A Life in Four Books by Alasdair Gray. This one I've read; it's a fantastic novel, and I think it suits your criteria very well.

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 173 comments Maybe Time Must Have a Stop, although this too is kind of... old.

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I think The Trick Is to Keep Breathing and The Only Good Thing Anyone Has Ever Done: A Novel

have that feel they are sort of really depressed books.

Dear Everybody I think is also interesting.

but honestly I don't know how you are interpreting the scream. can you be a little more specific?

message 9: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1314 comments Mod
did you try any of these?? did anything work for you?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

This is Not a Flophouse (other topics)
Crime and Punishment (other topics)
Tender Is the Night (other topics)
hector (other topics)
This Book Will Save Your Life (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

K.I. Hope (other topics)
Alasdair Gray (other topics)
Knut Hamsun (other topics)