UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > Georgette Heyer

Comments (showing 1-50 of 91) (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments After chatting with DD and Gingerlily in the just finished just started thread, it seems a good idea to start a seperate thread.

Georgette Heyer was a prolific writer but best known for her regency romances. If you haven't read them before I can highly recommend them! She has a lightness of touch and humour that make these books readable over and over again.

She has also written some mystery novels set in the 1930s which I have also enjoyed, but they are not quite as amusing as her romances.

Good ones to start with if you have never read her before are

The Grand Sophy
Frederica
Cotillion
These Old Shades
Arabella
The Talisman Ring

and many many more!

:0)

message 2: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Okay Lets start by Listing all the things we liked about each book, first Cotillion:
I loved Freddy! I loved that he wasn't 'in the petticoat line'.
I loved that the Villan was a man that in most other GH's would have been the hero!
I loved that he did everything in his power to look after Kit (and everyone else)!
I loved that he rose to every occation so beautifully.
And lastly, I love that he was willing to get a pasteing to defend his lady!
Freddy, we salute you!

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Hear, hear! Although Freddy isn't at first glance the most romantic of guys, he grows on you massively! I like his father as well. Lovely sense of humour.

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Friday's Child is also up there in the best - the scene where Sherry tries to propose to Isabella is wonderful.

message 5: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I think that's why I loved him so much Gingerlily. Freddy wasn't this practiced smoothy, it didn't come easy to him to be romantic, he had to try hard. In my book it makes the romance that much sweeter!

message 6: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments There's so much to choose from that I don't know where to start! One of my favourites is These Old Shades - I love the character of Leonie! I love her way of talking - calling her abductor a pig person and being angry at him trying to make her eat an evil pudding!

message 7: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Gingerlily I think we're borg!!! Fridays Child is another favourite! I love the whole Ferdy V Nemeisis!

message 8: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Kew, I liked the way Avon enjoyed toying with his friend (D...something!) when the friend had just found out Leonie was a girl and didn't know Avon knew as well:
"Let her be my page, Avon."
"That wouldn't be proper."
Lol

message 9: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments That had me puzzling - then I think I got it! Was it Davenport? Need to do some serious re-reading, haven't read some of these for years! I want to gradually replace them on my kindle - wish amazon would put them on sale here like they did in america! Reading the GH forum on goodreads all of Heyer's books were $1.99 in August - soo jealous! Most of my paperbacks are falling apart and need replacing with kindle editions!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments About a month ago I climbed up to the top cupboard & lifted my collection of GH paperbacks out & they are stacked on my dressing table - all ready to be used for reading in the bath (no way will my kindle go in there)
I was quite pleased to add the two new ones to the collection - but I am still looking out for quite a few more that I haven't read for some time.

message 11: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "About a month ago I climbed up to the top cupboard & lifted my collection of GH paperbacks out & they are stacked on my dressing table - all ready to be used for reading in the bath (no way will my..."

Oooh - which two new ones? :0)

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments My paper copies are all second hand and some are literally in bits. I wanted to get them in the $1.99 sale but even though I am on the US site they wouldn't let me buy them. Grrrr

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments New to me..very good condition not like the rest of my collection (except The Talisman Ring which is a hardback along with two other books - not GH but the names escape me)

message 14: by Karen (Kew) (last edited Sep 14, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments Gingerlily wrote: "My paper copies are all second hand and some are literally in bits. I wanted to get them in the $1.99 sale but even though I am on the US site they wouldn't let me buy them. Grrrr"

How come? That's really mean - if you can't buy kindle books from the UK you shouldn't be restricted on the US site! :0(

message 15: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Kew, your right it was davenport. The only thing I have against T/O/S is that Rupert was so lovely and then in devils cub an over weight guy who never married. Georgie? What did poor Rupert do so wrong? Why didn't he get a glam puss of his own?

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments I'm searching for a 2nd hand copy of These Old Shades - because I have the book that follows it, & I want to re-read them in order :(

I had a look at the GH forum - they don't seem to have kept up with a monthly book read- but I joined anyway.

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Amazon has 2nd hand copies for sale - from 95p so it won't break the bank...

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments Thanks - I'll take a look there GL :)

message 19: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I like 'these old shades' better than 'devils cub', Avon had a great sense of humor but I found it hard to forgive Vidal for attempting to abduct Mary's sister and only taking her by mistake. The Idea of swapping one sister for another repels me... perhaps because I have a sister!!!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments D.d. wrote: "I like 'these old shades' better than 'devils cub', Avon had a great sense of humor but I found it hard to forgive Vidal for attempting to abduct Mary's sister and only taking her by mistake. The I..."
But he did get what he deserved because she shot him :)

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 17581 comments might ahve to try these out...

message 22: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I wouldn't have helped him get better, like Mary did.

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Which Heyer heroine would you identify with most then?

message 24: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments Now that's a hard one! Think it would have to be Frederica....

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments mmmnn, yes I think me too, although I would love to be more like Sophie!

message 26: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments Gingerlily wrote: "mmmnn, yes I think me too, although I would love to be more like Sophie!"

Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same thing!

message 27: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments I've recently read a very irritating romance. When I'm not feeling too well (as I'm not lately) I dip in and out of really light undemanding books. Just read a freebie Counterfeit Lady (with some page skipping when needed) and not only was the plot far fetched but when the hero had been shot by the heroine's father no less - she just left him to cope on his own! Now a GH heroine would have at least tried to staunch the bleeding and then nursed him back to health!!

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments She is a very special character isn't she? Oh I am going to have to go back and read that one again!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "I've recently read a very irritating romance. When I'm not feeling too well (as I'm not lately) I dip in and out of really light undemanding books. Just read a freebie [book:Counterfeit Lady|66004..."

I started to read that one...........too many americanisms in it for me :(

message 30: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4045 comments Another way that you can tell if the author is american is that they are all on first name terms - haven't they read their Jane Austen? No first name terms until after engagement!

Actually I have just read another romance which was quite good - no where near in GH's league and some americanisms in 18th century england - but it was a nice story with a strong and amusing heroine. The Best Intentions :0)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "

Actually I have just read another romance which was quite good - no where near in GH's league and some americanisms in 18th century england - but it was a nice story with a strong and amusing heroine. The Best Intentions :0) "

I read that one - & I thought it was good enough to try another couple by the same author.

Amongst the pile of GH on my dressing table is one by Clare Darcy - I think I have another couple of her books too (in another cupboard - I really need to do some sorting )

message 32: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments Oh I love Georgette Heyer, my all time fav!! I do read lots of other regency writers of course, but GH is the queen!!
It is very hard to choose just one, but I suppose I would go for Frederica..no wait...The Grand Sophy...or maybe...oh I give up, they are all brilliant depends what mood I am in!
Some of the USA writers are dreadful, but there are a few that do hit the spot quite nicely, so its worth trying them in case one does come up trumps.

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Have you any recommendations Freddiesmum?

message 34: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments Julia Quinn and Candice Hern come to mind straight away.
Stephanie Laurence and Eloisa James, though they are not so witty and are not in the correct sort of language, if you see what I mean!
Julia Quinn is quite a witty writer, I enjoyed all her books, and I like most of Candice Herns, I will have a good think, and a root about amongst my book shelves and kindle library... and mention more!!

message 35: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments Linda Berdoll has written the worst P&P follow up ever!! do not even think of touching anything she has done, what a load of utter drivel...really, just dont!!

message 36: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments and if you like the crime ones set in the 20's 30's...try the Daisy Dalrymple stories, they are very good and a similar sort of style.
I only found those cos of the sale last month, what a find, really enjoyed them, but not all the series was at sale price, and there are 19 of them, so I have an incomplete collection on my kindle at the moment.

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Thanks - will have to take a look at these.

message 38: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I read a regency romance recently and it turned out that the duke had to do away with his cousin because their grandfathers were twins and it had been accepted by the family that the duke’s grandfather had been the eldest, but the records showed that it was the cousin’s grandfather that was the eldest! Like they wouldn’t have checked it out!! This was to inherit a dukedom for goodness sake! It’s not like they would have walked in and said: so who says they’re the oldest and we’ll go with that!

message 39: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments ahh...you do get some corkers! I am amazed at how many of the females have to pretend to be servants for all sorts of odd reasons, and of course the Duke or whatever can not resist her in her mob cap and pinny!!

message 40: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Another favourite is when the woman is dressed as a man an no one notices that she's actually the most beautiful woman ever to walk the earth. What? No one had the sense to see the impressively curvy shape that is invariably hidden by her mans garb? Pleaassee!

message 41: by Jay-me (Janet) (last edited Sep 18, 2011 11:05AM) (new)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments Last night I was reading my GH paperback (Bath Tangle - appropriate because I was reading it in the bath :) )
when I saw a huge spider on the wall. Are spiders bigger this year? This one had humongous legs.

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 35100 comments Were the spider's legs tangled?

Has anyone seen Tangled, and is it good?

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments Gingerlily wrote: "Were the spider's legs tangled?
"

No just very long

message 44: by Maureen (Mews) (new)

Maureen (Mews) (Mews) | 719 comments I hate spiders with a passion. I remember reading something a few years ago about how they are repelled by chestnuts and putting a dish of them near a window etc stops them from coming in. However someone recently told me that the chestnuts have to be fresh. I've had the same ones sitting in a dish for 2 years, so no wonder it's not working!

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 22419 comments I once saw a huge spider on the landing so I put an inverted bucket over it till my husband came home to turf it out. He couldn't believe that I'd actually put my hiking boots on top of the bucket! "How bloody strong do you think this is?" he guffawed.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4145 comments I don't mind them as long as they keep away from me. Sat on the wall - fine, as long as they stay there.
I won't kill them.
I heard the tip to keep them away - tried it with conkers.

message 47: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 1158 comments I used to be so scared of them I'd put glasses or mugs over them and then leave them there. I have no idea how many spiders I've starved to death :(

message 48: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 1158 comments That said, there was one held captive for about four months and when someone knocked over the glass by accident it ran for it. I managed to get another glass over it and left it there. We moved out eight months later (student house) and it was definitely dead when I finally worked up the courage to lift the glass.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 58364 comments We're rather blood-thirsty in here, aren't we? Hehe

message 50: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I always have to get my sister to deal with spiders, trouble is, she's scared of them too!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

These Old Shades (other topics)
Arabella (other topics)
Frederica (other topics)
The Grand Sophy (other topics)
The Talisman Ring (other topics)
More...