Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Love in the Time of Cholera

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments If we decide to do this can someone give me a quick course on magic realism? I had a hard time with this book the first time around and I believe it is because I don't understand that part.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I've studied magical realism before...I'll look back at my notes.

LITTOC is very hard. I read it earlier this summer, and found it a difficult read. So, you're not alone!

message 3: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Thanks, Melissa!

message 4: by Maria (last edited Dec 02, 2008 08:53PM) (new)

Maria | 92 comments I was wondering about this term as well. I just read Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende. (which i really enjoyed as well as LITTOC) Allende is also described as writing in this style. My current understanding is that the story is not supernatural but the story has elements that are exaggerated or are kind of told in an way that gives the story a sort of realistic fable quality. And the characters to me often have driven passionate souls.

A better quick description from the wikipedia article.
"Alejo Carpentier's conception of marvelous reality was of a kind of heightened reality in which elements of the miraculous could appear while seeming natural and unforced"

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (kkdmsn) One of my favorite books EVER is by Isabel Allende, "Paula". It is her memoir, autobiography. She wrote it when her daughter Paula was critically ill. I just had to go retrieve the book to quote the reason she gives for writing it. "listen, Paula, I am going to tell you a story so that when you wake up you will not feel so lost." This book definitely has many uses of the miraculous described by Maria in her post.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria | 92 comments Oh Karen what a beautiful quote... and thanks for the recomendation on Paula. I was worried that it would be a sad book - but will definitely put it on my to-read list. Have you read The House of the Spirits ? I hear that book was the one that really put Allende on the map.

message 7: by Thauna (new)

Thauna I have felt drawn to Daugther of Fortune for YEARS...and it is still on my TBR list. But I have it on my bookshelf, found it on sale somewhere a couple years ago and bought it. Other books keep jumping in front. :o) I haven't read anything other by the author, but now I'm very curious.

I choose LITTOC for an in-person club about a year ago, I wanted to read it before the movie came out. It was such a hard read, I felt like I was walking in quicksand reading it. But I loved the emotions of Florentino and how much he loved Fermina. I can relate. I put the book away midway through and then watched the movie. After watching the movie I finished reading the book and it was much easier to read. Now when I think about the book I think I really liked it...there's the magic. lol

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria | 92 comments Thauna - To me DoF was a great combo of history, adventure and a love story. I sort of regret starting another book so quickly after finishing DoF. I kind of wished I had let DoF resonate in my head longer. Hopefully by joining this great book group I can do that more after finishing a good read!
I read LITTOC about 20 years ago when I young and infatuated with someone...lol
I think I remember reading it in just a couple days because I sort of identified with it (or at least in my 19 yo mind thought i did) I think the writing style possibly didn't bother me because of this. I watched the movie recently which was fun.
I've been thinking more about magical realism and wondering if I really understand the term. I just finished HoL for december. I wonder if you could call that book magical realism??

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (kkdmsn) Maria: I tried one of her fiction books, but I think I must not have been in the mood. I am definitely going to go check one out. Paula is sad at times, but is so beautifully written.