Christian Goodreaders discussion

Miscellaneous > Books (Besides the Bible) Recommended for Christian Readers (List)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (last edited Oct 12, 2008 07:15AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 111 comments I posted this over in one of the other groups I belong to:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

It didn't spark much of a response so I will post it here.

Granted, I'm not very far along the path of the 1,001 books, but what I've reviewed of the list, besides, the classics, hasn't impressed me.

Is it just my literary ignorance? Or is there a list more appropriate to Christian readers?

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1896 comments Jon, I checked "Listopia" here on Goodreads (there's a link when you click on "Explore") and found lists for "Best Christian Fiction," "Great Christian Books" and "Favorite Christian Books;" but no list that seemed to exactly represent what you're thinking of. So, I just started one: it's called "1000 Books (Besides the Bible) Every Christian Should Read." (Right now, it only lists 20 books.) Any member of this group, or any other Christian on Goodreads, is welcome to vote on the list, or add books. (Books listed don't have to be written by Christians, or have to be "religious" --just worthwhile for all believers to read.) Of course, it's subjective (just as the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" list is); but hopefully it'll be a helpful source of suggestions for some readers!

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 111 comments You are awesome. I just voted and added what I could find form my list of read books. I didn't add the ones on my to-read list as I don't like to recommend something before I've read it.

Thanks for taking the initiative. I sent an invite to several of my Christian friends and family members to vote as well.

Great idea!

message 4: by Vanda Dien (new)

Vanda Dien | 4 comments hi! i have just voted and added some

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 111 comments Thanks. I visit the list at least once a day. It's growing and I've found more books to read. :)

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1896 comments Jon, you're the one who deserves credit for the idea! I just did the actual set-up to get it started; and I've been very gratified by the amount of response.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Campbell (cathy_campbell) | 3 comments Alice wrote: "I missed seeing Besides the Bible so listed a bunch of different Bibles as I was listing. Copied and pasted this from the list:
1000 Books (Besides the Bible) Every Christian Should Read
This is..."

Hi Alice,
I will add some books I consider good Christian reads later today.
Cathy

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 111 comments I only added the ones I have actually read. Since I haven't read any of the Left Behind series, I didn't add it. As I read Christian books (both fiction and non-fiction), I go back to my list and add them. For example, my uncle sent me his copy of The Shack, which I will read soon and add it afterwards.

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Campbell (cathy_campbell) | 3 comments Hi Alice and Jon,
I will also only add books I have read. However I always enjoy books by Lynn Austin, Angela Hunt, George Barna, and Robert Whitlow.
Cathy

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I have only read a couple of The Left Behind series but I added most all of them as I felt they were more appropriate than some of the stuff I was seeing there. Some of the stuff I saw which I have read I didn't feel had a Christian message or even a spiritual message of any type but maybe I missed something. I also asked email friends to suggest titles and some did. So I added those on even tho I haven't read them. Some Christian writers are just "too goody two shoes for me" so I cannot read their books. But we are all different and require different things. Most of the books I posted I have read and own but not all.

message 11: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1896 comments Sorry to have taken so long to respond to this post! As I mentioned in the second post on this thread, books on this list don't have to be "religious," or even written by Christians --they just have to be, for some reason, worthwhile for Christians to read (even if it's only to better understand what's behind the mistaken ideas that some people have!). But I should probably post a description on the list itself that explains that better.