Study Buddies discussion

General Discussion > Poison Stories: Anecdotes & Antidotes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alethea (last edited Oct 12, 2008 02:22AM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
This is a thread to share stories about how you came to read your first Maria V. Snyder book, and any amusing anecdotes related to the same...

Alethea's Poison Story: I was working in the bookshop the Tuesday Fire Study came out and was bombarded with frantic calls from women wanting to know if the book had arrived and did I have any left and if I did could I hold one for them? We sold out by Friday. I was curious because I'm usually in on *all* the hot book crazes and I had no idea what this Fire Study book was all about.

I took the book home Saturday night and thought, I'll just read a few pages and fall asleep... eight hours later, I got to the end and realized the sun was coming up... (You'll hear this a lot. Apparently I wasn't the only one this happened to.)

I really wanted to skip out on work but I had to get the other two books! So I took a hot shower and showed up to work with bloodshot eyes and wired on coffee (+_+), worked my shift, came home and read the other 2! back to back and then slept all through Monday night. I had been awake for almost 48 hours!

Then I got Jane hooked on it (I'll let her tell her own story) and the rest is history, or herstory, or non-gender-specific-story, take your pick. I have made it my mission to get people to read the Study series, not because of any deep mystery, but because they are so darn *fun*. I also want to get *guys* to read it because goodness knows we girls read "guy books" all the time, and why should it be such a hardship to do the opposite? Take that stereotype and knock it around a little.

The story I'm hearing most often now is of people who get Poison Study just to "try" the series, and then show up bleary-eyed at 10:00 the next morning saying, "I need the other two, *right* *now*!!!".

The next-most-popular story is of the husband or boyfriend showing up going, "I don't know what these books are about, but I was told not to come home without the whole set. Is it like that Twilight thing?"

message 2: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannec) I had a similar thing happen to me... As in I picked up the book at the library and meant to read only a few pages before going to sleep. I didn't get to sleep for a LONG time that night!

I didn't finish the book in one night, but the next morning, I did have to email my 'book club' buddy (we are old friends and we read books at the same time and then email each other about them as a way to make us stay in touch) and tell her that I'd read at least half of it. I said I was sorry I was probably hundreds of pages in front of her. But I wasn't! She'd done the exact same thing. Each of us had only stopped the night before because we felt guilty about being so much farther ahead of the other person! Needless to say we each finished the book the next night! And wrote someone incoherent, but happy emails the next morning.

I love that other people have had similar experiences!

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) | 27 comments So Alethea was responsible for my insomnia for 2 days!
She was like, "Liz, you have to read this book"
I was like,"Ok, I'll totally get it."
She was like, "yay!"
I was like, "Cool!"
1 Day later...
I was like (via text), "I love you, Alethea! *I bow down to you* (I literally bowed down to my phone, sure it was awkward but its Posion Study!!!)"
She was like, "Now read the other two"
I was like,"It can't get better but ok"
1 day later...
I didn't contact her because words could not explain how much I love this series.
That's my story and I stick by it!

message 4: by Jane (last edited Oct 12, 2008 05:03PM) (new)

Jane (janeg) | 123 comments Mod
I think many people can relate to the line: “I almost failed a class for Poison Study.”

I can't remember the day I brought Poison Study home-- It might have been one of the hundreds I picked up from work, or one that Alfonso brought from Vromans, but however I got it, I was very excited when Alethea told me it was a good book.

June 8th, 2008:
During a thread about books and movies (I think it was specifically about how bad the movie The Dark is Rising was), Alethea emails me back about Poison Study. What a coincidence; I already had the book! So I started reading it, and was hooked.

Midway through the book, I called Alfonso and told him to order Magic Study and Fire Study for me. I knew I should’ve known better than to trust a boy to get the order right--- He ordered Poison Study instead of Fire Study, so I had to wait 2 extra days to finish the series!

I received Fire Study on a Monday night, a night that I was supposed to be writing a research paper for class. Obviously, I chose to read Fire Study instead (it's okay, still got an A).

Then I recommended it to several other friends including the book group (YABC). And I’m still obsessed with it!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 40 comments Amazon recommended that I read Poison Study and after reading the 1st chapter I had to buy it. I finished it in 2 days. I read it before work, during lunch, and after work. I think I even bailed on dinner one night, too. I wasn't smart enought to order the trilogy together, so had to wait a while until I could get to Magic Study & Fire Study. Once they came in I had to imediately leave for a business trip to Chicago. Although I was busy working the books made wonderful evening company. I finished both books during my 4 day work trip. It was fun. I remember literally sweating in my hotel room while reading the last of Fire Study.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz | 25 comments I actually found Poison Study right here on Goodreads on sombody's book list. I put it on hold at the library and the rest is history. I also read the book in one day because I enjoyed it so much that I couldn't put it down. I liked both Magic Study and Fire Study as well, but I liked Poison Study the most.

message 7: by Ari (new)

Ari | 48 comments My library actually has a system where people can answer some questions about their reading habits and the librarians will compile a list of books you might enjoy. Poison Study was on mine. I picked it up a few days later and loved it.
Many months later about a week before Fire Study was released, I was going to DC for a week or so, during which Ms. Snyder was supposed to give a talk at the Library of Congress (which was apparently canceled, or at least that's what the librarian told me) so I went to pick up a copy of Poison Study to have signed for my best friend. Well there on the shelf a week early was Fire Study. You wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to tell the employees that it wasn't supposed to be out yet instead of buying it! Of course the store could get in a lot of trouble for selling books before the release date, so I did, but still easily the greatest temptation of my life!!

message 8: by Alethea (new)

Wow!! Hey I can't remember where I read it but she did do the LoC seminar, I think! It might be on her mySpace blog. Wow, enormous self-restraint on not buying a broken laydown--that's what we in the bookselling world would call that--and I am pretty sure here in California a person who spotted that would be like, Yesssss! I'mna get you in trouble, uh-huh! and get their book early, ;-) Good job, Tina, you'd make a great Ixian ^_^

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments I was avoiding going back to work, as usual, by leaving the market I worked at (Whole Foods Market) and skipping across the highway to the Barnes and Nobles there. I had half a hope to find a certain graphic novel collection I really wanted, but was disappointed so I perused through the romance section to see if anything new came out in Regency (from Signet/Zebra).

Lo on the shelf, faced outward on the new releases rack, was this awesomely pretty red hardcover book with an awesomely pretty girl looking mysterious. Plus it said 'poison'. I was hooked. I bought it (ignored the dive my bank account took) and swore to read it before the week was done.

Then 6 months passed and I had not yet read it. I was like 'whoa wait a minute where did THIS come from?' buried under my To-Be-Read pile and sat down to see if it was worth keeping (having fallen out of my 'poison is cool' phase and moved onto 'daggers are awesome' phase). Six hours later it was almost 5am, I was due in at work in about a half hour for a 12 hour shift and I had finished the book. Thus began the obsession.

message 10: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments I was in my local B store (hiding from my kids and all responsibility) and seen it on the shelf, I thought I mine as well give it a try, I need a new series to start.
Since I have bought this book, I have read it 5 times completely and bits and pieces more times than I can remember.
I also want to know if anyone else has read the worrier witch by Maria Brennan

message 11: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 12 comments Poison Study was a recommendation on another message board (what are you reading thread). I always browse through them to look for new books/authors. Someone raved about it. I looked it up online and then marked it "to read". Took awhile before I went and got it - I think I used a gift certificate at Barnes and Noble. Once I was done, I immediately went for book 2 then 3 at the library.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments For a few years, I worked at a public library. I became obsessed with getting new books first and would (and still do) surf the catalog to find all the new, on order titles. One day I ran across Poison Study and I clicked the hold button and bam. I devoured it in a day or two.

message 13: by Min (new)

Min (minbuchanan) | 159 comments My story is oh so similar. I was wondering around my favorite book store (Powell's for those in the know around Portland, also the biggest new & used book store in the country. Ah, I heart Powell's) and I saw Poison Study on their "What We're Reading" shelf. I was drawn in by the cover. Picked it up. I started reading it the next day while waiting for a class to start. Needless to say, I quickly realized I would not be able to concentrate on class. Of course I skipped class and instead went directly back to Powell's and bought the next two books (Fire Study had just come out that Tuesday). Luckily it was my Friday so I didn't have class again until the following Tuesday. I read all three without interruption, save for working two 12's over the weekend. But I work in a hospital, I recommended it to all my charge nurses, administrators, doctors, and patients! I practically through myself on people trying to explain my excitement. I pretty much got most of the ladies to read the series. I also snagged my mom, her best friend, and a few of my other friends on goodreads. I think my husband thinks I'm in some kind of book cult.

I gave the books to my mom to read during our shopping trip to Montreal. I had given them to her the night before we left, she had decided to pack only one book for the trip. We had different flights, as I was stopping in Chicago to visit friends for a day then meeting up with her. When I got there I realized she was about a quarter of the way through Magic Study. I asked if she had already read Poison Study, and she gave me a confused look. I snagged the book from her and told her she couldn't read them out of order, it would mess with the beautiful character development MVS put together in the first book. The next morning we went directly to Chapters (Canada's B&N) and bought another copy of Poison Study as well as Fire Study so she could read them in order. In the end she was happy I made her do it. Though she complained when I took her book away. hee hee.

message 14: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso Jane made me read it.

message 15: by Alethea (new)

LOL.

message 16: by Alethea (new)

We had yet another lady last week who showed up at 9:55 am, pressed her face up against the door and was watching like a hawk for the approach of whoever was unlocking the doors at opening time (who was probably hiding behind the desk). She made the mistake of buying book 1 at 10:30 pm the night before, and not getting the other two as well.

When will people ever learn... ^_^

message 17: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments I HATE that Alethea! Often I'll see a book series and think 'just buy book 1, if you end up liking it no big deal to come back, but do you want to be out the extra money if you don't?' then read the book all in one sitting it'll be 3am and I'll be...NEED BOOK.

message 18: by Alethea (new)

I know what you mean. A couple of weeks ago the person who was supposed to send my used copy of People of Sparks didn't send the item I bought, but the other seller from whom I got The Prophet of Yonwood did. So I was stuck waiting to see if my Book 2 would show up (it didn't, and I got my money back) while Book 3 was sitting there on my nightstand saying, "read me!" and I had to ignore it, bah.

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I don't buy books.. I'm a library nerd and if I want a book that I've read I just ask for it for Christmas (although I have bought some Kresley Cole romance novels when they didn't get to the library fast enough...). So I just have to wait or make sure I get the whole series (cause no cost to me, unless you count dragging the extra weight home with me). I have a whole shelf dedicated to my library books. I don't think I've ran out of something to read in the past 3 years.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamclaughlin) I remember getting the first Harry Potter book when the fourth one was just coming out. I made my husband go to Hastings Books at 10 at night to get the other three! For the last three Potter books I camped out!
I also have a thing about reading all the books in a series. The longest time for that has been the Diana Gabaldo books which i read in order after the last one came out. I seem to be slow to grab new books!

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamclaughlin) With the Study books, I bought the first one in paperback when the the second one came out . I have a friend who is in the book business and she gave me Fire Study as an advanced copy!

message 22: by Amber (last edited Oct 28, 2008 06:40PM) (new)

Amber | 6 comments I got the books from the library...it took me all of one weekend to finish the entire study series...omg! This is the first series that I have read and actually enjoyed entirely. I mean, I totally liked Twilight and HP but this went way beyond my expectations! Maria v. Snyder is such a good writer n I can't wait for more of her books to get published...I sincerely enjoyed her previous pieces.

-Amber S.

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 37 comments I am part of an unusual book club, where we don't read the same book, we just read what we want and then discuss the books we read once a month and let others borrow them. I went this month, I got there late and saw Poison Study out for borrowing, I asked what it was about and borrowed it. That was last Friday,one week ago today. I read Poison Study on Sunday, finished by Sunday night. Monday I told my husband he could get Gears of War 2 for the XBOX360, if he got me Magic Study and Fire Study. I had both in hand that night, he called every book store in Utah for me. I read them by Wednesday morning. Thursday I read Assassin Study and Power Study online, and even though my husband has his new video game I got him to start reading and he has already finished Poison Study and is almost done with Magic Study. He likes them too. :)

message 24: by Alethea (last edited Nov 15, 2008 01:01AM) (new)

Wow, Kimberly! That's one of the best Poison Stories I've heard in a while :) My hubby is a slow reader so he's always last on the list to borrow my books (maybe I'll just give him the audios)

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamclaughlin) WHAT IS ASSASSIN STUDY AND POWER STUDY!!!

message 26: by Alethea (new)

Pumpkin, go to Maria's website and click on Short Stories (towards the bottom of the list)--go! read them right now!!! Extra fun. I have to go back and read her other ones as soon as my next art history test is over...

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 37 comments Well my husband is a fast reader, and we read books together all the time, we had to buy 2 Harry Potter books so that we could both read it and not throw spoilers at each other. I am just surprised that he is reading and not playing his video game.
He is in Grad School and every spare minute he has had I see him reading the series, so funny. He really likes it too, he keeps reading out loud to me, and I just say, "Yeah, I liked that part too."

message 28: by Alethea (new)

Very cool. My hubby is playing Gears of War 2, too! I didn't have the foresight to trade him anything for it ;-( oh well!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen | 38 comments I've just started Poison Study yesterday and am 1/2 way through it. I'm so glad that you all had given it good reviews, because at first I was so annoyed with this new "kingdom" that I wanted to put it down - but I've stuck with it and am SO glad that I did - it's great! I'm at the part where Yelena goes off to the woods to evade capture - it is great so far. Got to return to the book! Bye!

message 30: by Crystal (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:52AM) (new)

Crystal | 5 comments After reading and loving all of Stephenie Meyer's books and the Hunger Games I was trying to find another book, but needless to say I had high expectations for whatever I was going to read! So I was googleing book recomendations and stumbled across a reccomendation for Poison Study. I think I walked around Barnes and Nobles for an hour trying to pick a book and I picked Poison Study up five or six times and then put it back. Finally, I grabbed it off the shelf and headed for the comfiest chair I could find and started reading. Needless to say I finished the book in like two days. I had to order the other 2 on Amazon and it felt like forever before they came! Then I told my friend at work she HAD to read them, and now she is totally hooked too!

message 31: by Tami (new)

Tami (auntienam) | 3 comments I had just signed up for Audible audio books, and got two free, and though I'd never heard of them, the "Study" books sounded interesting. I listened to them on a long trip and found myself driving slower and slower and slowwweeeerr just so I could finish the books. When I looked for them in a bookstore I was nearly horrified to see they were published by Harlequin, and filed in with the Fabio-cover romance novels! I'm just not that kind of reader (and I don't mean to offend anyone who is)! But I love the "Study" books, and Maria's writing style, and I'm hooked.

message 32: by Alethea (new)

Most bookstores have them as Sci-Fi/Fantasy! Although some stores can't look past the Mira/Harlequin brand name... Any matter, I'm really glad they took a chance on Maria or we wouldn't be here today!

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 67 comments I haven't posted on here for a while so I thought I'd start here.

I found the Poison Study books through a friend. I was in desperate need of a new book to read and she pulled Poison Study off of her shelf and told me that she had loved it. I did. I took it home and stayed up much too late reading it. I finished the first one quickly and had to wait forever to get the second one, I don't think a single library in Utah had a copy in. (And being a poor college student I didn't have the money to buy one...) My friend eventually bought it and I borrowed it from her, I loved it every bit as much as the first. I went to Barnes and Noble the day Fire Study came out and tried to find it, it took me a while they'd stuck it in the romance section. Anyway thats my story of how I got into the Study Series.

message 34: by Keelin (new)

Keelin | 96 comments im the oposite of crystal but thats a different story for another time
i was on my way to malta for a holiday and need a book for the flight so i just randomly picked a book off the shelf and low and behold it was poison study
i didnt even read it until i got home as i was given a murder mystery book the day before the flight and i read that instead. finished this one in two days and became obsessed about the second one my friend got it first and i borrowed hers. now im planning on going to derry some time next week to get the third one froms easons!!!!! ive tried to get my friends interested but to no avail*sigh*

message 35: by missART (new)

missART | 71 comments Hmmm, my Poison Study story begins back in 2006.

That was the year I graduated high school. Before college started a friend of mine and I met at a Paradise Bakery to have a farewell lunch. During which we chatted about books. With great excitement she asked if I had ever read a book called "Poison Study". I said nooooo. And she went into study-mania mode and told me I should/need to go read it. I respect her opinion on books so not too long after I hit up a local B&N and grabbed a copy. It was the old paperback version and I remember standing in the aisle and looking closely at the cover, wondering what kind of story was hiding underneath it to make my friend so adamant. As soon as I started reading though, I learned why - and I was hooked!! I gave it to my mom and she was "Poisoned" as well. :)

Fast-forward to 2007. I'm in England and Magic Study is not in my hot little hands!! But thank goodness my parents flew out to visit and my mom brought along a certain book.... :D

Fast forward to 2008. I'm back in the States and Fire Study comes out. No surprise I spent my time between classes and at home with my nose stuck in it.

Along the years the Study's have come out, I have recommended it to all my friends. Everyone has seemed to enjoy it. :) A friend I just referred the Study's to finished it in 3 days straight - wow! I even bought her the 1st book to make sure she read it haha. And now I can't wait till Storm Glass comes out!

message 36: by Shani (new)

Shani (silverbright75) | 12 comments Alethea wrote: "Most bookstores have them as Sci-Fi/Fantasy! Although some stores can't look past the Mira/Harlequin brand name..."

It is really odd... but I've found that B&N tends to shelve them in Romance and Borders puts them in Sci-Fi/Fantasy (which is where they belong, if you ask me). Hopefully, if you have a great Independent that you shop, they'll shelve them in Fantasy. If they don't, I'd write a very friendly letter requesting that they put them there=)

Myself, money is tight, so I picked up Poison Study in the library and read it all in one sitting. It was THAT GOOD! But then came the inevitable pain of not having the other books. My library system had Magic Study in a branch pretty far from me - but I got in my car and drove to get it anyway (when gas prices were still high)! I might as well have bought the bk now that I reflect on that, lol=) After that, I had to buy Fire Study cause I couldn't wait for the library to get it back into circulation. As soon as finances are better, I'm buying the first two for myself and then I'm re-reading!

message 37: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Shani wrote: "Alethea wrote: "Most bookstores have them as Sci-Fi/Fantasy! Although some stores can't look past the Mira/Harlequin brand name..."

It is really odd... but I've found that B&N tends to shelve th..."

that's the good thing about my library if its in another library around me they will get it from them and i can pick it up in my library save a lot of running around. and yes I have to agree that poison study is that good I have read it at least 10 times maybe more, every time I want to read something familiar that is the book I pick up LOL then I cant put it down until its done haha

message 38: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I hear you on the money being tight Shani! That's why I rely on the library so much. Why didn't you interlibrary loan the second one? I don't use that service much either, because I like traveling to other libraries, but usually libraries will do that for you. You have to wait longer is the down side of the whole process. It might be a week or two before it comes in.

message 39: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Shani do you live in the US?

message 40: by Shani (last edited Feb 06, 2009 07:04PM) (new)

Shani (silverbright75) | 12 comments I am in the US (technically). I'm the one in Hawaii. I use the interlibrary loan pretty often. On that particular occasion though, I just couldn't wait the days it would've have taken them to get it to my branch=) Otherwise I'm like you, Kristen, I maximize my use of the library for new books every chance I get. I sure hope some library funding managed to sneak into this massive stimulus bill that's getting thrown around senate. Have your libraries had to cut services? Mine haven't yet, but the local news keeps threatening that it will happen. It's such a worry.

message 41: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments OK was just thinking that my book stores around here have a lot of sales on books if I can find them for you I would send them to you but I have absolutely no idea how to send books to Hawaii LOL

message 42: by Shani (new)

Shani (silverbright75) | 12 comments That's sweet of you=) I appreciate the thought! I'll be checking out the sales coupons and a few of the used bookstores whenever I get a chance. Who knows, maybe I'll find a steal.

message 43: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments OK well if I come across a really good deal Ill get them and we will find away to get them to you. :) I hope you do find a really good deal down there then you wont have to wait hehe

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Actually, that is what we've been advocating. We're trying to include public libraries, not just school libraries in this new stimulus bill. I sent a letter to my local Senator asking him to revise something so that it would include public libraries. I've been fortunate enough that my public library has not even needed to pass a referendum in the past 10 or so years, ever since they built the building they are in. Our library has a Friends of the Library which helps keep things going and gives money to special projects in the library so they can spend their budget on books and anything else they need to run the library. I actually worked there for a while, which got me back to using the library more frequently. Now I'm an addict. I go there at least once a week even if I'm only returning one book.

message 45: by Thu (new)

Thu | 136 comments well my mom bought the hardcover verson of poison study when it first came out for my sister. My sister never read it so she gave it to me. i expected to fall asleep soon but i stayed awake the whole night reading. Poison study was one of the best books i've ever read and then my sister wanted it back haha

message 46: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Thu wrote: "well my mom bought the hardcover version of poison study when it first came out for my sister. My sister never read it so she gave it to me. i expected to fall asleep soon but i stayed awake the who..."

See how them sisters are, at least she waited until you were done with it before she asked for it back LOL and Kristen I too go to the library at least once a week and I just found out the are building a bigger library beside the one I go it is going to be amazing I cant wait until they get moved in :). Do you think they will close my Library until they get it all moved over, that would just brake my heart if they did that.

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Very cool! I mean, it sucks that they're going to be closed down, but its nice that they are able to expand to another building and have more room to grow. One of my favorite libraries a few towns over tried to pass a referendum for a new building and it didn't pass. They're in a small building now and I really hope that it passes in the next year or two. They definitely will be closed for a week or two when they are transferring their materials to the new building. I'm sure they will post signs as to when that is.

message 48: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments awww see now that just brakes my heart :(

message 49: by Thu (new)

Thu | 136 comments You could always try a different library for a little while

message 50: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments That's a great idea Thu. Find another library before they close, register your card and then use that library when yours is closed.

« previous 1 3