Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > 50+ Books for 2011

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments I am fairly certain that I started a thread this year about the books that I have read and I thought that I had added to it once or twice. However, I combed through the discussion posts and could not find one that I had started so I am creating a new one. I realize that it is already September but rest assured I have read these books throughout this year I just never got around to posting a thread on here. And I apologize for such a late post.

Anyway, here you go...my 50+ for 2011.
1. While Mortals Sleep: Unpublished Short FictionbyKurt Vonnegut
2. The WeddingbyNicholas Sparks
3. A Walk to RememberbyNicholas Sparks
4. The Vicar of WakefieldbyOliver Goldsmith
5. Three Weeks with My BrotherbyNicholas Sparks
6. That One Night In VegasbyBrindle Chase
7. The Tell-Tale Heart and Other WritingsbyEdgar Allan Poe
8. The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New AgebyJohn Heider
9. A Tale of The Ragged MountainsbyEdgar Allan Poe

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments You've listed many Edgar Allan Poe short stories as "books," which they certainly were not.

Rose

message 9: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 20, 2011 07:34PM) (new)

Kathleen (missbelgravia) | 205 comments Obsessedreader wrote: "You've listed many Edgar Allan Poe short stories as "books," which they certainly were not.

I don't think there are any rules here, and this isn't a competition. If someone wants to keep track of their reading, they can do so in whatever manner they choose.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments Thanks Kathleen. Actually, these Edgar Allen Poe "short stories" as you called them are not short stories at all. They were most likely exposed to us as such during our time in elementary, middle, and high school. However, because of this website I found out that these titles are in fact not short stories at all and I went on to read all of the stories in their full verison. Most of these stories are actually 300-400 pages in length.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "Thanks Kathleen. Actually, these Edgar Allen Poe "short stories" as you called them are not short stories at all. They were most likely exposed to us as such during our time in elementary, middle, ..."

I would be incredibly interested in finding these full versions. Can you tell me where you found them? I was a very big Poe fan in Elementary school and haven't read any for a very long time.
Thanks!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments I was able to find a lot of them at my local library. I honestly thought they were just short stories until I posted them on my currently reading list on GR. When I went to the libraries around town, I ended up finding longer versions of each story. Also, you may also wanna check out Amazon. I have been able to find a lot of books there that I haven't been able to find online at Barnes and Nobel, Borders or the local libraries. If you dig enough, you will find your treasure. :) Happy Huntings and Good Luck! They would definitely be great reads right about now with Halloween coming up.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (missbelgravia) | 205 comments Amanda -- I was responding to "Obsessed Reader", who was the one who criticized your listings. Regardless, I'm very glad this came up. I had no idea there were longer versions of these stories. I'll start looking for them, since I'm a long-time Poe fan. Thanks for the information!

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments Kathleen I know you were. I meant to say thank you for defending me. You are right, this is my list I should be able to keep track of what I am reading the way that I want to. I guess I should have been a little more clear. :) Thanks again!!!

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (missbelgravia) | 205 comments I'm just glad the topic arose, no matter how. I thought I had read everything Poe wrote, and had no idea there were longer versions of these "short stories." I'm really excited to know there is more of his work that I have not read. Thanks!

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments You are very welcome. I was in the same boat as you. I had gone to a used book store in town and came across a Poe book with 18 of his short stories and the second I came on here I found out that they were not short stories. Unless of course, someone uploaded the books to GR and decided that because all his short stories were in the book that it meant the story was that many pages long. However, I did find about half of them to be a couple hundred pages long.
My biggest thing is, how on earth did someone ever condense them enough for us to have read them in school? That is just a bit crazy. If they were good enough to be read as short stories, then why not tell us that there were longer versions available?!?!?! Lol!

message 17: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments A short story is a particular genre: it is not just a brief work of fiction. A short story can be a couple hundred pages long.

Rose

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments Either way, I can list that I have read whatever I want as long as I have read it. Plus, most novels are the standard 3-500 pages. Also, so are a majority of mine. Should I not list them then?

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Skjoldal (amanda_kay) | 16 comments Well, it's the last day of the year, so I should probably list the rest of the books I managed to read with all the changes that took place in my life this year. Sadly, I am ending my list with only 4 more books.

68. Vision in WhitebyNora Roberts
69. I Know Why the Caged Bird SingsbyMaya Angelou
70. TwilightbyStephenie Meyer
71. The Life and Adventures of Santa ClausbyL. Frank Baum