The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Other Rory book clubs

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, this is NOT to discourage people from this book club. I love this book club!

But while I was looking to see if a book was on her list, I found this website. Apparently this was spawned after the wb's one shut down. Anyway, just thought it may give us some ideas of what we can do to further discussions.

Also, I found this interesting. They vote for the next 4 books. Then they post the dates of when they will be discussing each book. It looks like the give each book about 10 days before starting a discussion thread for the next book. For example. On Sept 8 they posted the schedule. Starting Sept 30, they begin discussing book 1. October 10 they discuss book 2. October 20 they discuss book 3. October 30 they discuss book 4.

I don't know if that is a little aggressive for us. But I was thinking since we read 2 a month, we could start discussing the 1st book on say on the 15th and the 2nd one on the 30th. But initially select 2 months worth in advance. Then on the 1st of each month start taking votes for the next month's reads. The winning book posted on the 15th.

So for now, we could select November and December's books. Then November 1 start taking votes for January. December 1 start taking votes for February, etc. The winning books for January would be announced November 15. That would give us at least a month to read the next month's books.

I don't know. Maybe that's a bit complicated. But my book club does this sort of thing too. We select 6 months worth of books ahead of time. That way people can read at their own pace and most have the books read by the meeting date. The extra time helps when you have a tough read or a long book.

Anyway, here's the website:

http://rorysbookclub.proboards55.com/...

message 2: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
I get your point, but I really liked having both going at once last time for the comparing and contrasting. I thought that was FANTASTIC. I'd hate to loose that.

Now I know this is probably more just me, but I like that we didn't choose this months books last month... because I would have suggested and voted on entirely different books. Like... Wicked was pretty intense, so something a bit lighter would be nice now. I wouldn't have known that. I don't want to have this be too intense... I want to look forward to it! Being locked in like that isn't my thing.

I can see making the following month's selection by the 15th so that everyone has time to purchase, etc. Even dates to begin discussion is fair... but again, I liked being able to discuss early. Ah well, that's just one girl's opinion. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here.

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Meghan Great point.

There are pros and cons to either way. But yes, there is a distinct disadvantage in selecting the books ahead of time. However, in my other club, we do take the liberties of switching things around if we found that a book is too long (and needs more time) or the subject matter is too heavy/dense and we need a lighter book. But this only works if someone actually knows the book (or started on it) and can make those assessments.

I'm perfectly happy with the way things are going now. Just wondering if we should "elect" someone to take the lead on getting things organized or are we going to wait for someone to just step up or how is that going to work?

For a while, my club (before we started selecting the books early), we took turns so that everyone had to be in charge at least once so that 'burden' wouldn't fall on any one person.

Sorry, I'm anal. I like things to be organized (or at least appear to be organized). But I'm working on that...so I can go with the flow!

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) In my real-life club we take turns. And we don't choose the book too far in advance because most people want to do the Hot Bestseller Now kind of book and we don't know what the Hot Bestseller Now will be in 6 months.

I'm planning on shaking things up for my turn next month and choosing Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Some of these ladies need to read a classic.

message 5: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I have never read Rebecca. Seen the old movie that was made, but I have never read it. Have you read The Birds by du Maurier?

message 6: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Sarah, you rock!!! I LOVE Rebecca!! I honestly didn't know I would, either! Tiffany if you liked the movie, the book is outstanding. I like (and own) the movie as well. I was so surprised by the nuances of the book. It's amazingly well written. I must confess, Joan Fontaine does such a good job in the movie that I tended to picture her in the book. Other characters I could imagine, but she captured the character so well that is was easy to envision her.

I eventually want to read du Maurier's Jamaica Inn. I doubt it can live up to Rebecca, but I'm interested to give it a try.

As to the club and taking charge... you know, I'm happy to help out while I have the time... but Shannon started this and we really should defer to her.

As for me, I think we should just go with the flow. I mean, as long as someone starts the nomination thread and then the thread for voting gets started... it's not that difficult to tally... it could be done by several or one. Let's just go with the flow for the first few months and see what we think. I was once an organizational expert... I appreciate organization... but this is something we do for fun. What needs to get done will get done... We can just be sure that from now on we start nominating for the following month's book on the 11th and have voting finished by, say, the 18th. That seems fair. Then everyone can take part if the want to.

But I'm saying all this after spending the evening at an Oktoberfest party, so maybe it's all bollocks! Sorry. Shouldn't swear... even British style. Hope you all are having as much fun as me! Night! (Or would it be classified as morning??)

message 7: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Hey guys. Since I have not been as active as you all and my participation will change as things relax a little - (I'm in the beginning stages of a move to another city) - I would like to maybe have some additional moderators to help out, like Michelle get the book lists voting started, etc. I started this group because I wanted to find some like-minded people and at the time I couldn't find another Rory Gilmore book club. Unfortunately I haven't had the time lately to fully enjoy the group but that will change.
You guys have been doing such an amazing job and have really stepped up in my absence - thanks so much!
I like the idea of having books picked a little more in advance - maybe 2 or 3 months out? As our book club grows it will give more people a chance to participate in the books chosen and it will give us some structure. I like the idea of having someone in charge of organizing the book choosing. Any other types of positions/jobs you guys think we might need?

message 8: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) Count me in for "Rebecca"its always been a favourite of mine.Also I was recently given The Rebecca Notebook"written by du Maurier on the writing of "Rebecca"in case anyone wants to track it down,I haven`t read it yet so can`t give you more information.Also recently read Justine Picadis`"Daphne"which is very enjoyable if your into Daphne du Maurier(It`s lighter than "Possesion"but that should give you an idea of its style).And it tyes in well to The Brontes.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Wow, DJ, you pulled this thread up from the archives!! Rebecca is still one of my top books & I still have a couple more of du Maurier's titles on my shelves I'm YEARNING to get to. Soon for at least one of them. Actually, someone in this group recommended The Scapegoat, so that's the one for which I'm really pining! I'm really interested in The Rebecca Notebook, but I'd rather see what you think of it first... especially as I have a closet full of unread books I'm itching to get to as it is! Keep us informed & happy reading!

message 10: by DJ (new)

DJ  (DJDivaofJava) whichwaydidshego? wrote: "Wow, DJ, you pulled this thread up from the archives!! Rebecca is still one of my top books & I still have a couple more of du Maurier's titles on my shelves I'm YEARNING to get to. Soon for at l..."

Hi I will read "The Rebecca Notebook"as soon as I finish "Twenties Girl"which I am flying through,I also have "The Scapegoat"so let me know when you feel like reading it and I`ll join you as I have never read it.Eeer try a roomful of unread books!But hey we`re coming into the winter so lots more time to read!!(Christmas gets in the way a bit!!)I`ll let you know about "T.R.N"