Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > my shelves are geting screwy-PLEASE help!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments When I first signed on this morning my 2 currently reading books were not on my currently reading shelf. Put them back on.

Now, signed in again and I'd had over 300 books on my to-read list and now there's only 2.

Please help!

The two currently reading books were there but hidden. Hope I can find all the to-read books.

Otis, anyone, do you know what's going on? Haven't noticed this on anyone else's profile!!!

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

rivka | 12272 comments Mod
O_O

I believe we now have invisible replies. At least, I just tried to reply twice, and it seemed to work -- but they're invisible.

There's also a thread marked as having its latest post less than three hours ago, but the last one I can see is from over 8 hours ago.

Edit: well, at least this one worked.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Ok, seriously unhappy here. Otis, is there any way to get my books back? Do you know what's happened?

My to-read list shows 2 books. It had, and should have, 317 books.

I don't know how to properly import/export books, no matter what instructions are there. When I tried all my books went to a document but couldn't do by shelf/see shelf. So the 3 defaults were mixed together, and, if I remember correctly, the formatting wasn't great. I update my book list so frequently that I'd have to make back-ups most days, I think, even if I could figure this out.

But I have printed (my lists are too long to really do that now) and copied and pasted and saved to a Word document, although the number of stars don't show. Luckily, I did that less than 2 weeks ago. But had only 272 books on my to-read list then. And I'm not looking forward to re-entering them all, especially if I'm afraid they're going to disappear again.

And, I still have no record of all of the last 45 to-read books I added.

Not a time I like being too addicted to this site!

If you can help or suggest how to avoid this from happening (I have no idea what happened; it's never happened before.) Once, after I changed the name of a shelf, my books temporarily vanished from it but they were still in my database at least. These 315 to-read books seem to be gone entirely.

Trying to calm down here. Kind of worried other data will disappear.

P.S. The only thing different I did recently had nothing to do with my to-read shelf but I made exclusive, then reversed, my reference shelf.

P.P.S. Also, just saw a book on my home page that I knew used to be in my to-read list and when I clicked on it, it seemed to be in my database without any shelf. Didn't add it back to my to-read shelf as I don't know what's going on. But I don't know how I'll be able to find all 315 missing books unless Goodreads can "see" my to-read list ones; I don't know how to quickly find them all as they're obviously not on my read shelf.

Well, they're there somewhere. When I look, it says I have 1332 books, but only 1,016 read, 2 currently reading, and 2 to-read which = 1,020 = 312 missing. Which is possible because sometimes when I move a to-read book to read the number on the to-read shelf takes more than one night/day to change. Could account for the remaining, possibly non-existent 5 books.

Otis, Is there any easy way to get those 312 books that I can't see/find back on to my to-read shelf?

Very sorry for the long post!

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments P.S. Rivka, Sometimes, when a thread will say there's a post more recent than the latest posted one, it means that someone posted then deleted their post. The old latest time stamp stays on the group/thread.

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Ah! That could be.

Still weird about my invisible posts.

Good luck with the phantom books!

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Rivka, Yeah, the invisible posts is weird too. Wonder if it actually did work at all when you've posted those? I've had a couple of times today where I entered/was entering a post and it did not say saving, nor did it go through. And I had to re-type. Is that what you mean, or is it some other glitch?

message 7: by yael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

yael | 2 comments ugh, same thing just happened to me. i only had 187 books on my shelves (now says i have 24 only) and i only joined yesterday, but still super annoying.

anything to be done about this?

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments saul,

Sorry! I'd looked around and thought I was the only one. Wondering how many of us there are since now I know I'm not?

I'm hoping there's a way they'll reappear or that Otis can get them to do so. Assume Otis will reply to our messages by Monday afternoon at the latest.

In the meantime, I'm not adding any books. And I'm printing my shelves, which are all intact except for my very long, well, it used to be very long, to-read shelf.

message 9: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

I've had a couple of times today where I entered/was entering a post and it did not say saving, nor did it go through. And I had to re-type. Is that what you mean, or is it some other glitch?

Not entirely certain, but I think we're talking about the same thing. I pressed "post," and it seemed to be doing something, but then went back to the thread as it looked before I posted.

message 10: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Wondering how many of us there are since now I know I'm not?

My guess is this is somehow related to the new exclusivity feature. Odd coincidence otherwise.

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Yep. Think so. I've taken to copying for pasting before I click to post.

Wondering if, since Goodreads has added so many features lately, whether some bugs got in with them?

I want my books back!!!! Not as though I'll ever have time to read them all anyway, but miss my list. I'm hopeful though since it's obvious that at some level the Goodreads site knows they're there.

Hopeful for saul and any other affected members as well.

If I was superstitious, I'd be crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, doing whatever people do!!!

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Great minds. ;-)

I just hope there's a good fix! So far, they've got a good track record!

Oh, wish I'd never played around with my reference shelf. Ah well.

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments saul,

When you added your bookshelves, did you make any of them exclusive? In other words, did you designate them to be separate from all the 3 default shelves of: read, to-read, and currently reading?

Curious.

message 14: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Lisa> I'd just make sure you do an export to the csv file... it doesn't matter whether you can make sense of it (in my case I use excel to read it and it works great but you don't have to be able to read it yourself).... then if a restore is required you can import it from the saved file... Goodreads does a good job of eliminated duplicates and keeping things straight from my previous experiences.

I haven't seen the problems you and the others are discussing [I did add three new exclusive shelves, and have entered about 75 new books since doing that as well as shelfed several other books that I had selved elsewhere/ in the "read" shelf to the one of the new exclusive shelves] .... but just to be safe I just exported my shelves!

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments David,

Thanks for the info from your end and for your advice.

I did just export to the csv file. When I do that, it automatically opens in Excel. I can read it ok, just don't like the formatting and did change some things with a previous file; this one I'm leaving alone. But too late for over 300 to-read shelf books if Goodreads can't get them back.

And, I add books frequently. Are you suggesting that I export to a csv file whenever I add books?/constant backups? Wish I'd done it right before this. ;-(

But I really appreciate your help, and I'm glad that you haven't experienced these problems.

message 16: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Lisa, I hope (actually have some faith) that the fine Goodreads folk will be able to recover your data....(just from seeing, in the short time I've been a user, how they seem to have a good grip on the development cycle in all areas including new features, bug fixes and general maintenance cycles).

With that said, I've been in and around the software business myself for going on five decades... I can't tell you how many times I've ignored my own advice and not kept regular backups.... but I've gradually learned over time that if something is really important to me I want my own backup -- under my control. The ability to do this is one of the things I strongly consider in my choice of software (esp. online).

Goodreads gives us a great/easy to use tool for this, so yes I would do it periodically.

the reality for me? my last backup before tonight was after I'd entered perhaps 200 books at most.... I'm now near 1300... but I will be backing up probably once a month now (that probably being the most pain I would willing endure if Goodreads did have an unrecoverable error).

message 17: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Books Losing Shelving Information
It's happened to me!

Books that I put in a "new" exclusive shelf earlier this evening have lost that shelf information.

Where these books had additional shelves applied, they still show up under those shelves so the books themselves do not appear to be lost in this case... just the shelving to the exclusive shelf has gone awry.

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Oh, sorry David. But glad you didn't lose the actual books. That happened to me once before with a shelf and Otis got the books back on it for me.

My currently lost books are not on any other shelves unfortuately, because they were on my to-read shelf only. They are in the database somewhere though. Hope Otis can help again.

By the way, I'm zealous and meticulous about documents backups, but I'm still learning the system here. Even if it's a bit late, grateful to know I can back up my Goodreads database! Thanks again for the advice.

Guess there are some bugs with some of these new features. Guess we have to wait for Otis to read all these posts and then we'll see what kind of fixes are possible.

Oh, and David, glad you made that backup!

message 19: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Otis>
Some more info for you in case it helps track what's happening.

I just lost the books in another exclusive shelf...
This time 3 books showed as being in my "01_unread_works (03)" in the "My bookshelves" list but when I clicked on the link the count went to zero and the books didn't show in the book list at the bottom of the page.

message 20: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Otis>
another update.
A different exclusive shelf "02_wishlist (116)" has now gone to (0)... this time rather than just clicking on the link, I first looked at another shelf ("1001_books") where I new many of my books where shelved to both shelves... none of the books on the "1001_books" had retained their shelving on the exclusive "02_wishlist" shelf. Sure enough, when I clicked on the link to "02_wishlist (116)" it changed to "02_wishlist (0)" so the problem had occurred sometime prior to me trying to access the shelf.

message 21: by yael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

yael | 2 comments lisa,
yes, i had done precisely that. i was working on organizing my shelves into descriptive categories and had designated each as 'exclusive'. and bingo, they were gone.

-saul

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Well, between David, saul, and me, it looks as though we have the definitive answer! Unfortunately, it looks as though Otis might be taking a well deserved long weekend away from Goodreads; hopefully things will get resolved on Monday. I so want all my to-read shelf back.

What’s weird is that my to-read shelf, the shelf where over 300 books are missing, has nothing to do with the shelf I’d made exclusive. And my reference shelf is intact, although I reversed its exclusive status almost immediately after I made it exclusive.

message 23: by thos. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

thos. (saucemaster) | 6 comments Hey y'all,
I conducted small experiment with my shelves; I will share my notes with you.

All my books were shelved, and I had created no exclusive shelves (the only exclusive shelves were there when I joined).

I created a new shelf, titled 'to-read-wish-list'.

I clicked to make 'to-read-wish-list' exclusive, and as soon as it did so, 4 books from my 'to-read' shelf disappeared. I had not moved them to a new shelf; they disappeared as soon as the screen refreshed from making an unrelated shelf exclusive.

I noticed that the 4 missing books still show up in the results if I search my own titles.

So, I went to the import/export page to export a list of all my titles.

I 'exported' and saved a CSV (comma-separated values) file to my home computer.

I opened the CSV file in my favorite text editor, then I searched through the list for the missing titles. All four titles were in the list.

The information about the books is divided into as many lines as you have books on your shelf; below is an example of two of my books. The first line is an unaffected book; the second line is a 'missing' book:
(lines might be too long to fit in this column, so they might have a line break)

"In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made","Norman Cantor",="0060014342",4,3.32,"Harper Perennial","Paperback",2002,2002,,10/18/07,history,

"After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture","Joseph J. Ellis",="0393322335",0,4.00,"W. W. Norton & Company","Paperback",2002,2002,,10/18/07,,

If you notice, the end of the first line has 'history' bracketed by two (2) commas; the second line (missing book), has two (2) empty commas. This value is the one that goodreads looks at when shelving your book.

So! I further experimented by adding 'to-read', into the commas at the end of the missing book, so that the end looking something like this (without qoutation marks):
"...2002,2002,,10/18/07,to-read,"

I saved that file to my home computer, and went back to the import page of goodreads.

I reimported the file (it takes a couple minutes to process), and when it was complete, my books had returned to the proper shelves!

Because it is hard to read so many lines of text, this could be time consuming if you have a lot of missing books or a lot of shelves.

One way to speed up editing your csv file, could be to use the 'find and replace' function found in most simple text editors. For example:
Open your CSV file in a text editor.
Run a search for "/07,," and replace with "/07,to-read,". Save that file and import it. This should replace all unshelved books from 2007 to the 'to-read' shelf. You can also search for 06,05,etc, of course.

WARNING, the above technique worked for me, but I can not promise the same results for everyone. I have some experience with simple databases and websites; if you have no experience using CSV files or text editors, I am not responsible if a catastrophic failure occurs on your shelves.
I am just a user of this site; if anyone from goodreads appears and warns you to ignore my advice, you should do so!

I hope this helps.

[edited for spelling]

message 24: by thos. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

thos. (saucemaster) | 6 comments My previously described methods might get your books back into 'to-read' or 'read' or whereever, but the original problem of having them disappear when you make a new exclusive shelf would remain.

So, if you get your books back, be sure to export and save your books before you make any changes that might cause them to disppear from the shelves.

I believe that you can also use Open Office or Excel to edit the files to which goodreads exports, if you are more comfortable with a spreadsheet than with a text editor.

message 25: by thos. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

thos. (saucemaster) | 6 comments Well, well!
After getting all my books in order, my 'currently-reading' books disappeared. I was not creating new shelves or moving books; they just vanished!

message 26: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments thos,

Thanks for the tips. I'm a novice with CSV files so I think I'll wait to see if Otis can help. Also, I have over 300 books missing and I can't remember all the titles, and I have over 1,300 books in total, so think it would be extremely time consuming even if I knew what I was doing.

But, I assume that your information could be very helpful to other, less clueless, people. And good to know there's a fix.

I'm hoping Otis/Goodreads can get my books back on my to-read shelf from their end.

And, assume a fix for the bug re the new feature of exclusive shelves will be done also.

message 27: by thos. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

thos. (saucemaster) | 6 comments Here is a bit more strangeness. When I last imported a CSV file, one I had just downloaded from goodreads as a test, somehow five (5) books I have never heard of were imported.

There is no way I could have accidentally added all the info about those books. Strange!

message 28: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Yes, At this point it might be wise for all of us, even those who haven't yet experienced problems, to import a CSV file, but keep any old ones as well!, and then not play with any of our shelves until Otis & Goodreads addresses this glitch! That's what I'm going to do. Even though, as usual, I have more books to add to my to-read shelf and more I'd like to rate/review.

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments I am seriously freaking out again. I haven't done a thing with my shelves since I noticed this problem, but now it looks as though lots of my books are gone for good!

Yesterday, when was printing what remained of my lists, I had 1,332 books; now I have 1,016. Which means some of my read books have disappeared completely, hopefully none with reviews, but I'm too scared to check. And all the ones off my to-read shelf have now disappeared completely as well.

Now, more afraid that Goodreads won't be able to retrieve any of these!

Sure hope Otis gets back quickly. Taking a well deserved break but really bad timing!

P.S. Whew! In some places, all 1,332 books still show!! Yay!

message 30: by thos. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

thos. (saucemaster) | 6 comments Lisa,
You may have already mentioned this, so I might have missed it. Have you used the function for searching your own books to look for a missing title - the 'search my books' function on the 'my books' page? I found that my missing books still showed up there, even if they were unshelved.

There is nothing tricky about getting the CSV file; it is the default format for the goodreads export function. So, if your missing books are showing up in the CSV file, at least you can easily store your data on your computer for the time being, so you know it is 'safe' until the kinks are ironed out.

message 31: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments thos,

Thanks, but I have between 312 and 317 books missing from my to-read shelf. (Actualy 310 to 315 since 2 of them are still there.) I just don't remember most of their titles so cannot really use the search my books to find them all. So, I'm still waiting to see if Otis/Goodreads can fix this/get my to-read books back on their shelf. I do have a backup of 272 of them so can get those back if I have to, but that will be a long process, and I'm waiting to see if all the books can "magically" reappear instantaneously. :-)

message 32: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Rather than waiting, being the impatient sort ;), I used the information in the exported csv file to find all the books with no shelf information (note when creating the csv file it appears the default "read" shelf is not exported so there were some blanks where I read as the only shelf, the other blanks were where the shelving information had been lost due to the but), then added shelf information for those (in a non-exclusive shelf of course)

so I am back where I started... and back to entering new volumes while waiting for exclusive shelves option to be straightened out.

Good news: It appears (knock on wood) that as long as I have only the original three default exclusive shelves (read; currently-reading; to-read) and none of my own creation everything works fine (when I had my own exclusive shelves it also seem to foul up currently-reading and to-read shelves).

message 33: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments David,

But I had a fourth (reference) shelf exclusive for less than an hour.

Since I did that, I've had exclusive on the 3 original default shelves only.

Put my 2 books back on my currently reading shelf but 310-315 books are missing from my to-read shelf and are nowhere else, and don't really know how to play with the csv file. Waiting because the Goodreads data base seems to know those books are on some shelf of mine/they just don't have a shelf designated, so I am hoping that Otis/Goodreads can put them back on my shelf. Does that make sense? Anyway, if I'm wrong, I guess I'll have to manually add the 272 to-read books I have listed in a Word document and guess/find again the other 45 or so. Wish I were more savvy about this stuff...motivation for learning more. I've always known enough for my purposes to do computer/web work up until this issue. Ah well.

But David, re your last paragrpah above, are you saying your books came back when you gave up your extra exclusive shelves? Because mine did not.

message 34: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Femmy | 118 comments I've had some problems with shelving, too, just thought I'd share them here.

Previously the books in my "to-read" shelf is divided into "my-unread-shelf" and "interested". I wanted my "to-read" shelf only for books I own but haven't read, so I created an "other" shelf and made it exclusive.

I added the books in "interested" to "other", all the while watching the number in the "to-read" shelf, because it was supposed to decrease as I moved books to "other". But the number didn't change at all, although the number in "other" increased as I add books to it.

Curious, I clicked the "to-read" shelf, and all the books in it were gone! I clicked "currently-reading", and the books in it were gone, too! I clicked "read", and fortunately the books were still there.

So I switched "other" shelf back to non-exclusive. Fortunately, I could add all the books in "my-unread-shelf" and "interested" shelves back to the "to-read" shelf, and the "currently-reading" contained only three books, so it wasn't difficult to restore them. But the whole incident did give me quite a scare.

message 35: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Lisa:
No, my books didn't come back when I gave up my 4 personal exclusive shelves -- but since I did that, I've had no new problems.

All my books (as far as I can determine) were still to be found in the Goodreads database.

I used the csv export file to find the ones with no shelf shown and then just went back to Goodreads, did a search on each of those books in turn and entered the book with a shelf that I can easily identify after the problem is solved. This worked for me because except for the new exclusive shelves I had a least one other shelve on all my "read" entries.

I may have missed some entries in doing it this way -- but at most I would guess 4-5 out of my 1300 books are still potentially in limbo.

I really can't speak for what Otis will be able to achieve but given the way I found the hidden books and recovered them the same process should be available for everyone... I would guess that it would be possible to have a program go through the Goodreads database identifying those books for any given user that don't have one of the three default exclusive files and add a place holding shelf ... so that final cleanup can be done by manual inspection (this would be necessary I'd guess because their might be no way to know which of a user's personal exclusive shelves each of the orphan books was posted to; although for you with only one that isn't a problem of course) - there is a very small chance that, alternatively, they might have a full transaction processing system in place and be able to sort it all out from backups .... but my quess is that would be overkill for the normal operation of the site and won't be available.

I doubt if you can make sense out the techno bafflegab I've dumped here so I'll say it as plainly as I can:

I think you'll be ok based on my experience :) at the very least the books should be recoverable and you might have to re-do the shelving as "reference" when the bug is fixed!

Cheers, and don't sweat it too much till Otis gets back!
Dave

message 36: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Thanks a bunch David. I'm actually not too worried, but I will be relieved when I find out what can be done.

Actually, my reference shelf is fine, I think. It's just my to-read shelf that has all the missing books.

Yeah, at this point, since I restored my currently reading shelf, all my books without shelves designated are to-read books which should make things easier.

And your "techo baffegab" communication is probably perfectly clear to most; I'm just ignorant about the subject matter so it's hard for me to decipher. My fault.

Anyway, I'm calmly waiting. (Although I have to admit I'm on Goodreads every other second to check the state of my shelves!) What Goodreads can't fix, I will work on myself.

I think I will be ok. At one point a long time ago, I changed the name of a shelf and all the books on it disappeared from my shelf (but they remained on my read shelf). Anyway, posted a Help! message here and Otis got the books back on the renamed shelf for me. Wish I could remember how he said he did it!

Thanks again to David and everybody for all your support & posts, and I hope EVERYONE'S books/shelves can be easily fixed.

message 37: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments re technobabble... have to disagree with you ...its NOT your fault you don't understand it .... ...if you aren't in the business why should you have an understanding of the technical issues of how the system works...and a technical person should be able to find metaphors to make it understandable if that is really needed. Rather, it should be sufficient (and usually is for end use) to just know how to use a technical system .... I can drive my car(and do so quite well)... but don't expect me to know how to fix it!

message 38: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments David, true, but I appreciate you saying so.

David, thos, saul, Rivka, Femmy, and Kiwiria on a related thread: Thanks for all your posts and information and support.

And I hope that everybody's Goodreads records stay/get restored. That goes for anybody else who shows up on this thread because of similar problems!

Anyway, I think I've personally given Otis way too much to read...I'll cease for now so that he won't have to spend any more time reading and he'll have some time left to do something about the glitches. From my end, unless further problems develop, I think I've posted more than enough info for Otis.

Thanks everybody and good luck to all of us. The people I've met here at Goodreads are so very cool! (And have given me some wonderful ideas for books to read! Great site!)

message 39: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 377 comments I have the same problem now. I managed to make my "look-into" shelf reappear by finding one of the books and adding it to a new shelf by the same name. Somehow that caused all the books to be reshelved to that shelf. However, when I went to make it exclusive, suddenly my to-read shelf emptied! I'm not too worried because all to-read books are also on one of two other shelves (to-read-owned and to-read-not-owned) so it's easy enough to put them back, I'm just hoping it's a bug that'll be easily fixed, because I'd really love having a custom exclusive shelf! :)

message 40: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Well, I added their (at least one of their) eventual shelves to my currently reading books and to my 2 remeaining to-read books. Even though I have hope Otis will be back today and will be able to restore my to-read books to their shelf, guess I will start searching for my over 300 "missing" to-read books and get them back on their to-read shelf and at least one of their eventual shelves as well.

Otis:

When you see this thread, if at all possible, could Goodreads get back everyone's missing books/shelves?

(My only exclusive shelves now are the original 3 default ones, if that helps, and my only "missing" books are from my to-read shelf only.)

Thanks!

message 41: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments David, thos, Everybody,

What data exactly do the csv files contain? Is our complete text of book reviews there?

Thanks for any information.

message 42: by Mrs Bond (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Mrs Bond (mrsbond) The csv files contain the fields:

Title Author ISBN My Rating Average Rating Publisher Binding Year Published Original Publication Year Date Read Date Added Bookshelves My Review

"My Review" does include the full text of your posted reviews!

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Michele, Thanks so much for the information.

message 44: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

We were away for the weekend - so sorry to leave such a confusing bug hanging around without a response!

I'll post more fully in a bit, but just wanted to update you all that the problem is indeed related to making shelves exclusive, and that we can restore people's books. We have done so for everyone in this thread already. Another update coming soon!

Otis

message 45: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Otis, Oh, thank you! Noticed my books were back. (Cannot thank you enough!)

message 46: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Again, our apologies for the mishap. When you make a shelf exclusive, it means that a book can only be in one of exclusive shelves, so we need to delete that book from any other exclusive shelves. We had some buggy code that instead deleted all books from the exclusive shelves, so the 'to-read' and 'currently-reading' shelves were effectively gone. However they were still in your books (just shelf-less), and we have some tricks up our sleeve to easily restore them.

David is right however, it is always a good idea to occasionally export books to your computer, just in case.

We just released the fix, so things should be working now.

Sorry again everyone!

Otis

message 47: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

*disgustingly smug* See, being happy with just the three default shelves being exclusive is a good thing.

*flees*

;)

Hope y'all had a great weekend away. :) And three cheers for GoodReads, whose main problem is y'all are so responsive that when you take more than 12 hours to respond, people panic. :D

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Rivka is right.

And I was one of the members who wanted only the 3 exclusive default shelves, and yet I couldn't resist playing around. Ah well.

Thanks again to everybody here and especially Otis & Goodreads.

message 49: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

If I admitted I had been considering playing around with the new feature, mostly just hadn't gotten around to it, and then was wary of the bug people were reporting, would I have to be less smug? ;D

message 50: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 377 comments Perfect! Thanks Otis :)

« previous 1