Short Story Book Club discussion

Short Story Collections

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Renee Hello!

I am curious to learn how others in this group read short story collections. Do you read one story per day? A few at a time? How much time do you need to think about what you've just read before starting the next story (I guess this is a processing question)?

Renee

message 2: by Jessica (thebluestocking) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Jessica (thebluestocking) (jessicaesq) I guess I usually just read one story at a time. I like to digest them a little before going on to the next one. It takes me a while to get through collections because of this.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 06, 2008 08:38PM) (new)

To me - the best short stories are the ones that stun you a bit -that, at the end, give you a cool inhale like a good strong mint. They make you back away and savor them for a day or two. The best ones stick with you forever. Good short stories need a little space!

My goal is to read one per day, but work/life often get in the way. I'd say I average 10 per month.

message 4: by Clark (new)

Clark Zlotchew | 3 comments deleted user wrote: "To me - the best short stories are the ones that stun you a bit -that, at the end, give you a cool inhale like a good strong mint. They make you back away and savor them for a day or two. The best ..."

First, does anyone still belong to this group?
I agree with the way that Jessica reads them, and I like the way "deleted user" describes the effect they should have.

message 5: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Guarino Good question. If I read a short story by an author for the first time, and like it, I look for others. If not, I just move on to the next author. Seems harsh, but there's just not enough time to read stories you don't like.

message 6: by Clark (new)

Clark Zlotchew | 3 comments Well, it's now the end of 2014, with 2015 to start in a few weeks. At this point, do Jessica and Jerry still belong to this group? Are there any other members?
Clark

message 7: by Victor (new)

Victor Davis (victor-a-davis) | 1 comments Cogito, ergo sum.