Balconeers discussion

An Affair to Continue

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

KC | 42 comments Please don't tell me after all these years that we've run out of things to talk about!

What about Deborah Kerr? Any good books on her? I seem to remember David Niven telling some tales on her in one of his books. Any others?

message 2: by Nancy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Nancy Loe | 53 comments Mod
Really? Tales about Kerr? Do tell! I wonder if there will be a bio now - I don't get that there was enough drama in her private life to make one marketable. In fact, I don't understand why some stars don't have really definitive ones - Lombard, for one, and Colbert, for another.

message 3: by Modbon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Modbon | 25 comments There's an old bio of Kerr available used at ABE, but it's getting pricey. Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/36m594 Why do I suspect that after she died, the price went right up? Call me cynical. Apparently a British bio that had one American edition.

As for running out of things to talk about...I thought I had a great thread for this group the other day and was starting to post a new topic when I realized that it had absolutely nothing to do with books. Ha. I'm an idiot.

message 4: by KC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

KC | 42 comments Oh Bonnie! Give us a thread and we'll figure out a way to get books linked to it. :)

You've had me thinking about British mysteries lately. Must be all those books you added the other day.
Any NEW brit writers? I've read a couple of Morag Joss from the Sara Selkirk series. I like that it's set in Bath and not London or some small village. But she only has 3 or 4 so far.

kc

message 5: by Cilantro (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Cilantro | 3 comments Hi all. I thought I had subscribed to this group, but apparently hadn't. No wonder there was no mail! D'oh. Back later, but speaking of good bios, I recommend Norma Shearer: A Biography by Gavin Lambert. I went in indifferent, came out a fan of both Shearer and Gavin Lambert.

message 6: by Nancy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Nancy Loe | 53 comments Mod
I love that one! Very sad, how she went gaga at the end and thought everyone she met was Irving Thalberg.

Lambert died recently, I think.