The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster discussion

Is there anybody else who thinks Gospel of the FSM just goes to far?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moonheart (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Moonheart I went out and bought this book as soon as I could, since I was a staunch Pastafarian until converting to another carbohydrate-based religion. (Yes, there is one.) However, I thought it went beyond the realm of an effectively funny political point, and into too much profanity and making fun of religion.

I have yet to find anybody who agrees with me, but I was wondering if any of you do.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I don't feel it went far enough.

message 3: by Sam (last edited May 06, 2009 07:43PM) (new) - added it

Sam Stuewe you should realize that there is no such thing as going too far. Pastafarianism was made to combat a foolish argument in terms of religion in schools. It is the epitome of free speech. Bobby Henderson expressed his ideas. I have not yet read the book though I intend to. And I am a devout pastafarian though I have not yet felt the wondrous touch of His Noodly Appendage. It's fine for you to have your own opinion, and I would be very upset with anyone who said that you are a bad person because of it, but as a point of order, it is free speech, there is nothing to far about it.

message 4: by C (new) - added it

C Van "...goes to far?" I guess if you measure the universe with a yardstick...

Michael Cross The names he gave other holy books made me wince a little, but you have to keep in mind that questioning that which people hate to have questioned is part of the message of it. People are oversensitive when it comes to their beliefs, especially when the oversensitive person is following mainstream, powerful religion.

Cagne Yeah, nobody is perfect.

There are a couple of lines that made me raise an eyebrow for their gratuitous offensive content coupled, most importantly, with me not laughing. Like "Despite their love of sex, the stab-rabbits ultimately went extinct because they could not bring themselves to go through with copulation, the pain being too great—much like modern-day men who are married to fatties", and attributing the Aztecs cleansing to a lack of spaghettiOs. The author isn't Louis CK, maybe he would have pulled those jokes.

There's also the whole little people issue but you should ask a little person.

Hannah Cattanach Yeah, I'm not sure about the repeated references to little people. But if Pastafarianism was an accepted mainstream religion then the whole book would be valid. Teaching a balanced view in schools and all that.

I'm sure other holy books have things just as ridiculous in them as FSM Gospels.