Chicks On Lit discussion

books you've bought recently

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,047 (2047 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 40 41

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments What books have you guys bought recently?

I just went to Borders and spent wayy too much.

I bought:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (for the group read :) )

Another Bullshit Night In Suck City by Nick Flynn

Love is a Mix Tape--Rob Sheffield

and I gave in...

I bought Twilight--i have never heard a bad thing about it..so I just caved and bought it.

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:38AM) (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Bookstores are a danger for me too! :)
I just bought...

-Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (for next month's read too!)
-Three Cups of Tea
-The Art of Racing in the Rain
-The Historian

You will either love or hate Twilight...it was a guilty pleasure for me & I will admit that I loved it. :) I like variety though!

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments I have a love-hate relationship with bookstores....I love wondering and browsing and even doing a little reading in them but I hate how it encourages the I-must-own-books addiction. All those books just call out to me...."buy me. bring me home. love me. look at my cover, its so intriging!" *sigh*
I was good at my last trip, just bought what I went in for, well almost....

2 American Girl books for my neice (totally forget which ones)
1 Peter Pan pop-up book - not on the original need to by list but my son was good.
0 books for me! I was so proud. And sad.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments haha Roxy that is exactly what happened to me today..the books were just SCREAMING at me today..in literally 10 minutes I already had 10 that i just "had to have"...of course I had to be a responsible adult..so i only got 4 of them.

ooh American Girl..i used to LOVE those as a little girl!

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments I just got Emma and Jane Eyre

The last trip I re bought Choke and the Oscar Wao book

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments in the last month...

5 books by jodi picoult (have yet to read one of the five, although i love the 6 i already owned and read)

the diary of anne frank

little women

the lorax by dr seuss (to have for my future children)

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:37AM) (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments My DH cringes when I go into a bookstore. I just haven't gone into one in a few months because money is tight and I have no business buying books.

But it's one of the first places I'm hitting after I'm settled into work and we've figured out insurance issues and how much money is actually coming in after Uncle Sam gets done chapping my behind.

As far as Twilight is considered. I was very blah about it. I could rant and type out a big long post about what I thought was wrong with it but for all the issues I have with it..I could still say it's not a bad book per se, Meyers writing style is ok. Twilight was so so but New Moon made me want to hurl.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Wow, Jessalina! I get so excited when I get books in the mail that I've been waiting for. It's like Christmas morning all over again for me. :)

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I got Ghost by Alan Lightman from BMOC2, and then I recently purchased 8 copies of Edith Hamilton's Mythology from Half Price (mythology unit coming up)...Hmmm...I think that's it. A couple weeks before that I found our Nov. read at Half Price as well. Money is tight here too. Such is life.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I was doing so well until recently with using the libraries to save money! My resolve has started cracking recently! I bought The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society @ B&N (40% off) and The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry @ Target (20% off) last month!

Emily, I loved Edit Hamilton's Mythology!

message 11: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I have put myself on restriction from buying books and going into bookstores lately. However, Borders sent me an email that all of their New Releases are 50%, tomorrow only!!!! And, I have a giftcard! Guess where I'll be bright and early?!?!?!

message 12: by Peanut (last edited Oct 10, 2008 08:32AM) (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I don't buy books really (full price at book stores). I go to thrift stores and used book stores to purchase my books. I also use my library a lot!

ETA: that being said, I did get a gift certificate for Barnes and Nobel and purchase some books online. Some of the Percy Jackson books. Beautiful Joe (which is kind of slow) and then some CDs.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments yeah, i will also be at borders first thing in the am for the big sale. :)

message 14: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Wow, Jessalina. Planning to spend some time locked in a panic room or something? I'd get too stressed with that big of a juicy to read pile stairing at me. I currently have 2 books out of the library and I had to put one where I didn't see it every day just so I didn't feel pressured to geth through the other one ASAP.

message 15: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I've been getting David Sedaris' books recently. They are amusing.

I also bought the book "Dewey-The small town cat who touched the world" It sounded sweet. I got a great deal on it at Barnes & Noble. It was already on sale as the Bestsellers, then I had an additional 15% off e-mailed coupon. I love sales :)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I just got on the hold list for Dewey @ the library. It looks like such a heartwarming read, I love those! So I'm looking forward to that one. Let me know if you get started before me Dolly!

message 17: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Dolly - I just saw a story on Dewey the cat on the history channel or something. It looked like a sweet story.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments *Sigh* I actually had to sell books today. No buying books for a while, unfortunately.

message 19: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Well, the Border's sale sucked me in. I had to exercise a HUGE amount of self-control tho! I got
"The Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks and "Beach House" by Jane Green.
Emily, I had to sell books a few weeks ago. I feel your pain.

message 20: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments We don't have very few bookshelves in our house. Hopefully when we build an addition we'll be able to put in some built-in shelves. Any way, I sell books off every year. Its hard but I tried to sell the stuff I didn't like, don't need or probably won't read again. I look at this way....I can buy better books to replace. LOL probably not really the point of selling them in the first place.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Well, I've been to Barnes and Noble twice in the past week, so I've been a bad pussycat. I picked up some gifts for Christmas giving, but I, also, splurged for myself. For me I bought Dewey: The Small Town Cat Who Touched the World; Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist; Five Quarters of the Orange; H.P. Lovecraft's Book of the Supernatural; House of Leaves; and The Reluctant Fundamentalist. So, I've added these to all the other books waiting patiently for my readin.

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Oh Hannah, I hope you enjoy The Historian as much as I did. It is one of my favorite books. I plan on reading the other three you purchased sometime in the future, too.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) I went to Half Price Books Saturday (I was weak!) and bought "Summer Sisters" Judy Blume, and "My Sisters Keeper" Jodi Picoult. I had about 5 in my head and left with 2 so I guess I wasn't too week! LOL I'm gonna start "Summer Sisters" tonight.

message 24: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte I just finished that book last week and I really enjoyed it. It was fun to read an adult book from one of my favorite childhood authors.

message 25: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) i went to Barnes & Noble Friday and got The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (love it and almost done) and Wedding in December by Anita Shreve. got them both on sale...yeah! i hate paying full price for books.

message 26: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Brandie,

I can't wait to start The Lucky One. I read Wedding in December and loved it!!

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Thanks, Kathy! I hope I do too. :) I am starting it tonight. I am also reading "Art of Racing in the Rain" right now & love it so far.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahelaine) | 11 comments I've been shopping at thrift stores for books and I love it! My favorite had a sale this Saturday; five books for $1. I bought:

1. Mrs. Dalloway
2. Fall On Your Knees
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
4. The Hours
5. I Capture the Castle

Four of these books are on my 1001 Books list, so I am very excited!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I just bought:

Eat, Pray, Love--elizabeth gilbert
Crank--Ellen Hopkins
My Friend Leonard--James Frey
The History of Love--Nicole Krauss
The Five Love Languages--Gary Chapman

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Jamie, I love Eat, Pray, Love! I think you'll enjoy it.

We just turned in some old CD's at a book/music store for a store credit and I ended up buying about 20 used books for around $50 or $60. I was so excited! :)

message 31: by Holli (new)

Holli Jamie...you are my twin!! ;) I love James frey and My Friend Leonard is excellent. You will love it. Loved Eat Pray Love too......Five Love Languages was good but i skipped over some of the parts that I thought were things i already knew. I'm going to check out Crank right now and see what its about and then I'm going to have to get History of Love too.....

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments haha nice Holli! I'm excited to read all of them! the james frey one was a good deal..like 4 bucks. ahh i wish i had more time to read!!

message 33: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Jamie, I enjoyed the James Frey books and Eat, Pray, Love also. I can't wait to get History of Love.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (bookworm1987) Last couple of books I bought

Guernesy Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society

The Lucky One

The Tsarina's Daughter

but there are two books that I really want, The Secret Life Of Bees (even though I have read it) and Maureen McCormick's new autobiography called Here's The Story.

message 35: by Cyn (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

Cyn | 258 comments I keep buying books but do not seem to get through my readign pile with as much speed!

I just got:
Guernsey...
The Shack
The Friday NIght Knitting Club
Somethign about a dog and a wife who died..the dog is the only witness...

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I just got Edie: An American Girl...because i may or may not have a slight love for Edie Sedgwick and Andy Warhol. :)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments just got Old School by Tobia Wolff
& cat's eye by margaret atwood

message 38: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments Cyn, I loved The Friday Night Knitting Club!!

message 39: by Holli (new)

Holli I just bought Tribute by Nora Roberts and The Edge of Winter by Luanne Rice. Actually Brad bought them for me when I made him stop at the bookstore ;)

message 40: by Migdalia (new)

Migdalia 1308 by Stephen King (typical, I know)

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments I just bought The Host by Stephanie Meyers. I don't know why I'm torturing myself but I picked it up.

I looked for the Foer book that we're reading in Nov. but only had copies of his first novel. /sadface I'm not going to worry about it because with Nano, I'm not sure I'll have time to read it fast enough to keep pace with the rest of the group anyway.

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Jackie, The Host is good. You'll like it. :)

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Memoirs of a geisha and
the undomestic goddess by sophie kinsella (a hand bag book: I always have something to read that way)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I just got New Moon by Stephanie Meyer..it was only $8 at Target..my boyfriend actually spotted it for me..so i was incredibly happy!! :)

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela | 19 comments After reading Tera's GLOWING review of Romeo, Romeo, I broke down and bought it although I have also bought (and have not finished reading) Hold Me Tight and Matters of Faith. I also bought a bunch of Babysitter Club's Little Sister books (which are out of print) for my daughter at the Friends of the Library book sale.

message 46: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I just got American Wife, I can't wait. It has had a lot of PR, I will let you all know if it is living up to it.

message 47: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I went crazy buying books over the weekend. It was 50% off at Goodwill and who can resist? I bought: Memoirs of a Geisha, Kite Runner, Good Grief by Lolly Winston, Lake House (decided to give James Patterson another chance!) Honeymoon with my brother and Love Walked in & Belong To Me. I also bought some books about dreams. I had to clear another spot for them. I sure didn't need to come home with more books!

message 48: by Holli (new)

Holli Lake House is a GREAT James Patterson book!!!! One of my faves.......

message 49: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 18 comments I was able to behave myself when we went to the bookstore last Friday. I came home with just two books: Living with books by Estelle Ellis and Ein Jahr in New York by Nadine Sieger ( it is a book about a german jounalist who gets a job offer from a magazin in New York )

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I do most of mine book buying online. Paperbackswap and Amazon. I just got the 19th Wife, The Lace Reader, Home and Prayer for Owen Meany. This group is adding to my want list though! LOL :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 40 41