(good) Horror Films discussion

Horror film trivia thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by George (new)

George | 157 comments No, it wasn't Slithis, but it was a particularly poor reptilian monster and if you look closely, you can see the wheels underneath the monster. This particular monster had acid spit and whenever he used it, the screen would turn green.

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip oh my god, i love you guys, but i'm really terrible at this sort of thing. i'm going to sit on the sidelines and cheer.

message 3: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Most definitely. and one of the few never completely killed off, since he could also regenerate.

message 4: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Now, name at least one of the two monsters (2 as far as I know) to attack London.

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip margaret thatcher

message 6: by George (last edited Oct 10, 2008 02:23AM) (new)

George | 157 comments Technically, I think she thought she was defending it. One down, but what's the other?

Let's see, something hard. Who was the actor who shot down down The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to give you a handshake Phillip.

message 8: by Phillip (last edited Oct 10, 2008 09:10AM) (new)

Phillip gladly accepted, mike.

so, what, i'm being shot down on a mere technicality? you boys play rough!

message 9: by George (last edited Oct 10, 2008 05:00PM) (new)

George | 157 comments winner, again!

And for those of you desperate to know the name of the second beast to attack London, it was The Giant Behemoth.

message 10: by George (last edited Oct 10, 2008 09:59PM) (new)

George | 157 comments Yes, KD at a guess I imagine you do suffer from addictive behavior. So, here's your fix.

of the following actors, which one never appeared in a vampire movie?

Lawrence Olivier
Anthony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Humphrey Bogart
John Malkovich

message 11: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Well, Bogie did do something very close to a vampire movie in 1939, "The Return of Doctor X", in which he plays a doctor brought back from the dead who can only survive on human blood. Apparently Boris Karloff was originally selected for the part, but when he wasn't available the studion decided to make Bogart do it.

I've never been able to find it. One of my film books claimed that no prints existed any more, but I see comments on Google by people who claimed to have seen it.

But since he wasn't specifically a vampire, you're right.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I know absolutely none of these (well, the Evil Dead one I think I might have) but I'm kind of digging the whole thing!

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) Well, KD and VJ...another one from the PNW here. Kickin' it in T-town. Well, sort of, I'm on the computer, my kids are in bed and my husband's out-of-town (again), that's as close as it gets to "kickin' it" for me...lol!!

Anyhoo, nice to see some new "faces" since I last made an entrance. I'll try to do a better job of keeping caught up. So much has transpired...

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip hugh beaumont...you cats are really taking it out.

message 15: by George (new)

George | 157 comments So, maybe you folks can start a new group for Hugh Beaumont fans. hmm. very strange....

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i knew that. damn you rob for stealing the lead on the one i actually knew.

his role as dracula in son of dracula is pretty bad. he was born to play the werewolf, though.

message 17: by Phillip (last edited Oct 17, 2008 09:17PM) (new)

Phillip ok, here's one:

the woman who plays the lead role in wasp woman is the head of what kind of corporation?

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip correct!

i guess i should have thought of something harder.

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip the burning...sounds like something worth checking out.

i've never seen an episode of seinfeld...you may laugh and jeer at will.

message 20: by Phillip (last edited Oct 19, 2008 01:29AM) (new)

Phillip rob,

i had a steady thursday night gig at the rose pistola in north beach for a few years and all these famous people and movie stars would come in there (folks like depp, redford, and jagger). one night, someone said, "oh, that guy from seinfeld is at the bar". it was jason alexander, and i recognized him from some crappy suspense film...but i would never had known him otherwise.

i realize that's almost like saying you've never seen a baseball game.

and just so you know, i'm not proud of it or anything. it's just that i never have ocassion to watch television unless i'm on tour and staying in a hotel; and then i usually come in late and read until i fall asleep (unless i discover there's a movie on that i want to see). i don't even know what channels my set gets; there's no cable and no antennae.

i did see that film "comedian", that jerry seinfeld made and thought it was well done and kind of brave of him to do it. i don't remember it all that well, but i do remember being pretty impressed with it.

I have a friend who has been trying to get me to go over to her house and watch the office. it hasn't happened.....yet. i have heard good things about the humor. i think i was in a room once where the british version was running - was the sound even on? i can't remember.

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip holly hunter is burning.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip you've got me, i had no idea bogdonovich and karloff worked together.

message 23: by Phillip (new)

Phillip ah, just spit it out!

(not your tongue, the answer!)

message 24: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i'm going to see if targets is on netflix. cheers.

message 25: by George (new)

George | 157 comments I was a Teenage Werewolf was certainly one.

And yes, Targets is well worth seeing. r can't decide

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
ooh. I know the blind chick was in one. Gosh darn it. ??

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
I would never have remembered that - I was thinking of April Fool's Day (which I don't think I've even seen)...

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) Rob, we watch The Office religiously at our house. Enjoy the British version as well.

I just sift through this page...I am horrible at movie trivia...

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
I loves me some Office too. (just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon...)

message 30: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Ah, what part? I grew up in Pensacola.

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
Wow, wish I'd seen that Office question earlier, I've actually seen that movie! WACKY...

message 32: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Natalie,
Driven through it, but never spent any time there.

message 33: by WitchyFingers (new)

WitchyFingers Man, I need to jump (further) on the Italian horror films train.

So many movies in my Netflix queue, so little time...

message 34: by Phillip (new)

Phillip damn, i've seen that movie twice and i can't remember the answer to this question. oh well, short term memory is over-rated.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
OK, this is probably very easy - what song by what popular artist plays during Inland Empire? (it's kind've a horror movie, dammit)

message 36: by WitchyFingers (new)

WitchyFingers Well, the main one I can think of is that Loco-motion song. So strange. I need to watch that movie again soon.

message 37: by Phillip (new)

Phillip amy,

there is more than one pop song that drifts through inland empire.....

omg, i may actually get one of these.

message 38: by Phillip (last edited Oct 31, 2008 12:56AM) (new)

Phillip the answer to amy's question could be one of the following:

beck - black tambourine
little eva - loca motion
nina simone - sinner man

these are tunes by popular artists that appear in inland empire. i'm not sure which one amy was referring to. you could argue that nina simone is a jazz artist, and you would be right, but she also made a lot of soul jazz records that made the crossover into pop.

there are also several penderecki works floating around in there; he is a composer whose music you also find in the shining (we've discussed him, but he's not ligeti, who wrote the famous vocal music for 2001, whom we have also discussed).

here's my question

in halloween 3, season of the witch, the shamrock commercial plays ad infinitum on television screens throughout the film.

does this commercial appear in any of the other halloween sequels, or the original? if so, name the films in which they appear.

message 39: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i was asking this question because i wanted to know the answer, not because i knew the answer. i thought i saw the commercial show up in one of the later sequels....like the return of michael meyers or one of those last attempts.

ok, this one is pretty easy, who are the three writers conversing at the onset of the bride of frankenstein?

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
OK, I forgot about locomotion - I was talking about Beck's Black Tambourine, which plays at a REALLY WEIRD point in the movie - imagine that...

um, Phillip, I know one is Mary Shelley. I'll take a stab at this (I've actually seen the movie, but it's been a while) and say the other two are Lord Byron and Percy Shelley...(?)

message 41: by Phillip (new)

Phillip excellent, amy - you've won. it seems they spent a lot of time together when byron was in exile. i now pass the baton to you.

that ken russell film that featured them was pretty silly. what was it called? gothic, or something like that?

message 42: by Phillip (new)

Phillip rob,
thanks for answering it!
yeah, i hear you on the sequel thing. i'm about to write a little piece on a sequel.

but what did you think about the alien sequels?

message 43: by Phillip (new)

Phillip yeah, of all the "franchises", the alien episodes are my fave. i totally agree with your estimation of the suite.

each of them have their own unique vibe and bring a different set of rules to the table. sigourney kicks ass in every one, the first one still haunts me with it's suffocating isolation and deep sense of dread; the second one is a great action flick as long as you leave out the james cameron special edition (longer cut); the third one, set in the environment of a prison filled with a crew that would make the russian nihilists look like boy scouts is a dark one indeed; and jeunet definitely seemed to have some fun with the last one.

message 44: by George (new)

George | 157 comments Personally, I was crazy about Alien and Aliens. The first is the more interesting in many repects, but the 2nd is a wild rollercoaster ride indeed. I thought 3 was good, but emotionally, I was severely irritated with killing the little kid before the credits even rolled since that was the emotional payoff for Aliens. So, it took me a while to calm down and appreciate the film for what it was. 4, hmmmm. better than many others, but the worst of this lot.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
Umm, I've got a migraine so I'm afraid I can't think of any trivia right now dudes. Maybe later - anyone else up for it?

message 46: by Phillip (last edited Nov 06, 2008 12:47AM) (new)

Phillip joan crawford

what ever happened to baby jane
straightjacket
berserk

there are some others, but....it's late.

i know an older guy who was a screenwriter in hollywood in the late 4o's, 5o's & 6o's. he knew joan crawford and said she had an uncanny ability to remember people's names. he said she could meet someone at a party for a fleeting moment and not see them for two years and remember their name.

message 47: by Phillip (new)

Phillip now if i could just think of a decent question.

message 48: by George (new)

George | 157 comments What was the amorphous blob-like creature that threatened the UK in a film that starred Dean Jagger?

message 49: by Phillip (last edited Nov 07, 2008 04:19PM) (new)

Phillip larry hagman

i just want to say that i'm going to let you get away with using the term "actor" when referencing larry hagman (but don't do it again!)....i mean, really kd - i dream of genie? was that acting? i don't think so. that was the ocassional change of wardrobe and a few clever settings.

now i'm mad that i'm going to spend the rest of the day thinking about barbara eden....

but enough of that!

here's the next trivia question:

how does the scientist eventually kill gojira in the original (japanese version) of gojira (godzilla), and what is the name of that scientist (ha ha, let's see who gets that part) that employs this "weapon"?

message 50: by Phillip (new)

Phillip that's kind of my point...barbara eden is so yummy. and my sexual frustration level is SO HIGH at the moment.....see what i mean?

« previous 1