Rated YA-MA discussion

Fantasy > Tamora Pierce series and books

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Dec 07, 2011 02:15PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5161 comments *I know there are more books - Circle Opens, Circle of Magic, etc. I don't know the order. If someone wants to discuss these, let me know and I'll add them. If someone wants to give me a timeline of series in order, I'll rearrange the books.

Song of the Lioness
Alanna The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) by Tamora Pierce Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) by Tamora Pierce

Immortals
Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2) by Tamora Pierce Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3) by Tamora Pierce The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4) by Tamora Pierce

Daughter of the Lioness
Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce

Protector of the Small
First Test (Protector of the Small, #1) by Tamora Pierce Page (Protector of the Small, #2) by Tamora Pierce Squire (Protector of the Small, #3) by Tamora Pierce Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4) by Tamora Pierce

Beka Cooper
Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2) by Tamora Pierce Mastiff (Beka Cooper, #3) by Tamora Pierce

message 2: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments I have not read this yet, but since I've been looking for something that has got the same feel as EON and may be this will do.. :)

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Dec 07, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5161 comments I hear she's a great author. Don't know much about her, but I think this is the starter series (Alanna). Someone else might know, but she has written several series. I wasn't sure which ones to include, so I started with this one.

message 4: by Berit (new)

Berit (grinninberit) | 14 comments She is amazing! This was her first series, so it's a pretty good place to start, Stacia. Her writing definitely matures across the series, so if this one feels a little young for you stick it out and then maybe try Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce. I'm one of those people who likes to read things in order, though, so if you're the same way the next set to try after Alanna is Daine's series, starting with Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce. :)

message 5: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5161 comments Is it possible to skip right to Beka Cooper? I think I'm starting to hit hurdles with YA books that read younger.

message 6: by Berit (new)

Berit (grinninberit) | 14 comments Sure! Although I didn't mean the Alanna series is 'young' in terms of content, it's just a quick read. You'd chow through the first one in a day, I bet. Might be worth trying just the first one, and if you decide the style is too basic, skip straight to Beka?

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5161 comments Okay, maybe I'll do that then. It's funny because I had meant to read this author over a year ago and got sidetracked.

message 8: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (Lala26) | 46 comments I love this series! I've also read Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce but haven't gotten to her other works yet. I'm hesitant because I'm afraid they might not live up to the Song of the Lioness quartet.

message 9: by Maree (new)

Maree | 235 comments Well, I definitely thought her first series was young, but I have enjoyed her later books. Okay, it addresses more adult topics, but it's very simplistic in my view, and I didn't like that as much.

message 10: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5161 comments Updated this topic to add more of her series to the original post.

message 11: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon I read the Song of the lioness quartet when I was a teenager. I remember loving them at the time.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie | 19 comments My favorite to date is the Protector of the Small series. First Test, Page, Squire, and Lady Knight. Kel is her first non-magical character. Everything she does, she does without the help of magic. She is a strong, compassionate girl who has to fight against sexism. To see her change people's minds as she progresses through the books is a good journey.

Currently I am listening to

Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce. Then I will listen to Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2) by Tamora Pierce, finishing with Mastiff (Beka Cooper, #3) by Tamora Pierce. Terrier and Bloodhound are rereads. Beka is also an interesting character. I really like Tamora Pierce and look forward to her books being released.

message 13: by Riana (new)

Riana | 3 comments Nadia wrote: "I read the Song of the lioness quartet when I was a teenager. I remember loving them at the time."

Me too :) They were the first Fantasy books I ever read and I have been hooked since!

message 14: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5161 comments Welcome to the group Riana. :)

message 15: by Riana (new)

Riana | 3 comments Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "Welcome to the group Riana. :)"

Thanks :) I tend to be a lurker, but when I find topics I am very passionate about, I come out of my hole! :)

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 114 comments It always surprises me that more people have not read these books. I picked up the first one in 6th grade and just the other day ended up picking up one just to skim through and ended up reading a good amount of the series.

I agree with Berit that her first few series do come off younger not because of content but they are quick and easy reads.

However, when the first Alanna book was published in 1983. Tamora Pierce has said that Harry Potter proved to publishers that children would read longer books whereas before publishers would not. The Daughter of the Lioness series is actually about the same length as The Song of the Lioness Quartet even though it is only two books.

The Song of the Lioness Quartet was actually orginially written as a single-volume adult book but was broken into a four book series for young adults. Tamora Pierce then stuck with writing young adult books and focused on young strong female heroines because that's what she wanted to read. But the books are not young.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments I loved these books - I read the Alanna ones as a teen - like 15 years ago...oh i'm showing my age!

message 18: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 9 comments These are some of my favorite books. I've been reading Tamora Pierce since Alanna was the only book out, and vividly remember when the school librarian handed me the new copy of In the Hand of the Goddess because I'd checked out Alanna so many times. I know this dates me. :-)

Tortall series', in publication order (and order that I originally read them in):
1. Song of the Lioness
2. The Immortals (Wild Magic)
3. Protector of the Small
4. Daughter of the Lioness (Trickster)
5. Legend of Becka Cooper

Tortall series', in universe chronological order:
1. Legend of Becka Cooper
2. Song of the Lioness
3. The Immortals (Wild Magic)
4. Protector of the Small
5. Daughter of the Lioness (Trickster)

Circle series' order:
1. Circle of Magic
2. The Circle Opens
3. The Circle Reforged

message 19: by Yue (new)

Yue | 5 comments I picked the Alanna series because it was so popular. And I have never read any TP book before. Boy, I hated it. I guess I should give her another chance eventually.

message 20: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 1 comments I love these books!

message 21: by Joella (new)

Joella Berkner | 3 comments I also love Tamora Pierce's books. She writes wonderful strong characters with lots of detail to them. She knows how to plot well and has good pacing. I admit though that I'm really fond of her gods and magical systems!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (other topics)
Alanna: The First Adventure (other topics)
In the Hand of the Goddess (other topics)
Lioness Rampant (other topics)
Terrier (other topics)
More...