Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Books Set in Asia > Afghanistan

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 9735 comments Post any books set in Afghanistan here.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Aug 12, 2017 02:38PM) (new)

Diane | 9735 comments Books set in Afghanistan:

The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Dressmaker of Khair Khana Five Sisters, One Remarkable Family, and the Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe by Gayle Tzemach LemmonThe Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne SeierstadThe Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad
The Places in Between by Rory StewartThe Places In Between by Rory Stewart
Three Cups of Tea One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time by Greg MortensonThree Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Kabul Beauty School An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah RodriguezKabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil
The Swallows Of Kabul by Yasmina KhadraThe Swallows Of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra
The Patience Stone by Atiq RahimiThe Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi
The Storyteller's Daughter One Woman's Return to Her Lost Homeland by Saira ShahThe Storyteller's Daughter: One Woman's Return to Her Lost Homeland
A Bed of Red Flowers In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer PaziraA Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira
The Other Side of the Sky A Memoir by Farah AhmediThe Other Side of the Sky: A Memoir by Farah Ahmedi
The Wasted Vigil by Nadeem AslamThe Wasted Vigil by Nadeem Aslam
Earth and Ashes by Atiq RahimiEarth and Ashes by Atiq Rahimi
Stones Into Schools Promoting Peace With Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg MortensonStones into Schools by Greg Mortenson
A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear by Atiq RahimiThe Thousand Rooms of Dreams and Fear by Atiq Rahimi
Ghost Wars The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001 by Steve CollGhost Wars by Steve Coll
Caravans by James A. MichenerCaravans: A Novel of Afghanistan by James A Michener
A Cup of Friendship by Deborah RodriguezA Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez
The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner, #1) by Deborah EllisThe Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis
Horse Soldiers The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan  by Doug StantonHorse Soldiers by Doug Stanton
The Forever War by Dexter FilkinsThe Forever War by Dexter Filkins
An Unexpected Light Travels in Afghanistan by Jason ElliotAn Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan by Jason Elliot
Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea BusfieldBorn Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric NewbyA Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby
Parvana's Journey by Deborah EllisParvana's Journey by Deborah Ellis
The Afghan Campaign by Steven PressfieldThe Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield
Farishta by Patricia McArdleFarishta by Patricia McArdle
The Mulberry Empire A Novel by Philip HensherMulberry Empire by Philip Hensher
Kabul by M.E. HirshKabul by M.E. Hirsh
Shooting Kabul by N.H. SenzaiShooting Kabul by N.H. Senzai
The Sewing Circles of Herat My Afghan Years by Christina LambThe Sewing Circles of Herat: My Afghan Years by Christina Lamb
The End of Manners by Francesca MarcianoThe End of Manners: A Novel by Francesca Marciano
The Punishment of Virtue Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban by Sarah ChayesThe Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban by Sarah Chayes
Lie Down with Lions by Ken FollettLie Down With Lions by Ken Follett
A Woman Among Warlords The Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Who Dared to Raise Her Voice by Malalai JoyaA Woman Among Warlords by Malalai Joya
My Forbidden Face by LatifaMy Forbidden Face: Growing Up Under the Taliban - A Young Woman's Story
My Life with the Taliban by Abdul Salam ZaeefMy Life with the Taliban by Abdul Salam Zaeef
Samira and Samir by Siba ShakibSamira and Samir by Siba Shakib
The Baburnama Memoirs of Babur, Prince and Emperor (Modern Library Classics) by Zahirud-din Muhammad BaburThe Baburnama: Memoirs of Babur, Prince and Emperor
Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1) by George MacDonald FraserFlashman by George MacDonald Fraser
Mud City (The Breadwinner, #3) by Deborah EllisMud City by Deborah Ellis
Opium Season A Year on the Afghan Frontier by Joel HafvensteinOpium Season: A Year on the Afghan Frontier by Joel Hafvenstein
Words in the Dust by Trent ReedyWords in the Dust by Trent Reedy
Zoya's Story An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom by ZoyaZoya's Story: An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom by Zoya
Meena, Heroine of Afghanistan The Martyr Who Founded RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan by Melody Ermachild ChavisMeena by Melody Ermachild Chavis
Under The Persimmon Tree by Suzanne Fisher StaplesUnder the Persimmon Tree by Suzanne Fisher Staples
Afghanistan, dove Dio viene solo per piangere by Siba ShakibAfganistan, Where God Only Comes to Weep by Siba Shakib
Kabul in Winter Life Without Peace in Afghanistan by Ann JonesKabul in Winter: Life Without Peace in Afghanistan by Ann Jones
The Man Who Would Be King The First American in Afghanistan by Ben MacintyreThe Man Who Would Be King: The First American in Afghanistan
Come Back to Afghanistan Trying to Rebuild a Country with My Father, My Brother, My One-Eyed Uncle, Bearded Tribesmen, and President Karzai by Said Hyder AkbarCome Back to Afghanistan: My Journey from California to Kabul
Real Men Keep Their Word Tales from Kabul, Afghanistan by Akram OsmanReal Men Keep Their Word: Tales from Kabul, Afghanistan by Akram Osman
Over the Edge (Troubleshooters #3) by Suzanne BrockmannOver the Edge by Suzanne Brockmann
Flashpoint (Troubleshooters #7) by Suzanne BrockmannFlashpoint by Suzanne Brockmann
Because of the Brave by Z.A. MaxfieldBecause of the Brave by Z.A. Maxfield
In the Face of Jinn by Cheryl Howard CrewIn the Face of Jinn: A Novel by Cheryl Howard Crew
Legacy of Love by Caroline HarveyLegacy Of Love by Joanna Trollope
A Nightmare's Prayer A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan by Michael FranzakA Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan
Afghan Guerrilla Warfare In the Words of the Mjuahideen Fighters by Ali Ahmad JalaliAfghan Guerrilla Warfare: In the Words of the Mujahideen Fighters
Afganistan, The Bear Trap The Defeat Of A Superpower by Mohammad YousafAfghanistan The Bear Trap: The Defeat of a Superpower by Mohammed Yousaf
Dressed to Kill by Charlotte MadisonDressed to Kill by Charlotte Madison
Lone Survivor The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus LuttrellLone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing by Marcus Luttrell
The Wandering Falcon by Jamil AhmadThe Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad

message 3: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) I have edited and added to a Listopia list of books set in Afghanistan here: Afghanistan in Literature. I added books from this thread plus other suggestions and recommendations found elsewhere on Good Reads and the Internet. Feel free to vote for your favorites and/or add books that I missed!

message 5: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 12: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 13: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 14: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 15: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 16: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 17: by Carlos (last edited Oct 05, 2013 11:13PM) (new)

Carlos (Cjm5781) | 1 comments Kara Kush by Idries Shah
Kara Kush by Idries Shah

Adventures in Afghanistan by Louis Palmer
Adventures in Afghanistan by Louis Palmer

My Life From Brigand to King--Autobiography of Amir Habibullah by Amir Habibullah
My Life from Brigand To King-- Autobiography of Amir Habibullah

The Storyteller's Daughter One Woman's Return to Her Lost Homeland by Saira Shah
Storyteller's Daughter by Saira Shah

Modern Afghanistan by Ikbal Ali Shah
Modern Afghanistan by Ikbal Ali Shah

Afghanistan Of The Afghans by Ikbal Ali Shah
Afghanistan of the Afghans by Ikbal Ali Shah

message 19: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Aug 12, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

message 20: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 21: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 24: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 25: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 26: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time (other topics)
A Thousand Splendid Suns (other topics)
A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan (other topics)
Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil (other topics)
The Patience Stone (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Farah Ahmedi (other topics)
Nelofer Pazira (other topics)
Greg Mortenson (other topics)
Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (other topics)
Khaled Hosseini (other topics)
More...