Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Books Set Around the Middle East > Israel and Palestine

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Jul 08, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Diane | 11802 comments Post any books set in Israel or Palestine here. Both areas are included in the same thread because of shared place names and proximity of location.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 25, 2011 08:01PM) (new)

Diane | 11802 comments Books set in Israel or Palestine:

Tale of Love and Darkness, A by Amos OzTale of Love and Darkness, A by Amos Oz
The Nimrod Flip-Out by Etgar KeretThe Nimrod Flip-Out by Etgar Keret
Černá skříňka by Amos OzBlack Box by Amos Oz
The Book of Intimate Grammar A Novel by David GrossmanThe Book of Intimate Grammar: A Novel by David Grossman
The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God & Other Stories by Etgar KeretThe Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God & Other Stories by Etgar Keret
A Pigeon and a Boy A Novel by Meir ShalevA Pigeon and a Boy: A Novel by Meir Shalev
To the End of the Land by David GrossmanTo the End of the Land by David Grossman
Missing Kissinger by Etgar KeretMissing Kissinger by Etgar Keret
See Under Love by David GrossmanSee Under: Love by David Grossman
The Girl on the Fridge by Etgar KeretThe Girl on the Fridge by Etgar Keret
L'amante by Abraham B. YehoshuaThe Lover by A.B. Yehoshua
Exit Wounds by Rutu ModanExit Wounds by Rutu Modan
The Zig Zag Kid by David GrossmanThe Zig Zag Kid by David Grossman
Homesick by Eshkol NevoHomesick by Eshkol Nevo
My Michael by Amos OzMy Michael by Amos Oz
The Liberated Bride by A.B. YehoshuaThe Liberated Bride by A.B. Yehoshua
Someone to Run With by David GrossmanSomeone to Run With by David Grossman
A Woman in Jerusalem by A.B. YehoshuaA Woman in Jerusalem by A.B. Yehoshua
Panther in the Basement by Amos OzPanther in the Basement by Amos Oz
Sotah by Naomi RagenSotah by Naomi Ragen
Jamilti and Other Stories by Rutu ModanJamilti and Other Stories by Rutu Modan
A Perfect Peace by Amos OzA Perfect Peace by Amos Oz
Exodus  by Leon UrisExodus by Leon Uris
The Source by James A. MichenerThe Source by James A. Michener
Footnotes in Gaza A Graphic Novel by Joe SaccoFootnotes in Gaza: A Graphic Novel by Joe Sacco
The Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Start-up Nation The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan SenorStart-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan Senor
Mr. Mani (מר מאני) by אברהם ב. יהושעMr. Mani by A.B. Yehoshua
Almost Dead by Assaf GavronAlmost Dead by Assaf Gavron
Let It Be Morning by Sayed KashuaLet It Be Morning by Sayed Kashua
Great Lion of God A Novel About St. Paul by Taylor CaldwellGreat Lion of God: A Novel About St. Paul by Taylor Caldwell
Mornings in Jenin by Susan AbulhawaMornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa
Du sollst nicht begehren. by Batya GurMurder on a Kibbutz: A Communal Case by Batya Gur
Friendly Fire by A.B. YehoshuaFriendly Fire by A.B. Yehoshua
Un asesinato literario by Batya GurA Literary Murder by Batya Gur
The Iron Wall Isreal & the Arab World by Avi ShlaimThe Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World by Avi Shlaim
A Little Piece Of Ground by Elizabeth LairdA Little Piece Of Ground by Elizabeth Laird
Shut Up, I'm Talking And Other Diplomacy Lessons I Learned in the Israeli Government--A Memoir by Gregory LeveyShut Up I'm Talking: And Other Diplomacy Lessons I Learned by Gregory Levey
Sharon and My Mother-in-Law Ramallah Diaries by Suad AmirySharon and My Mother-in-Law: Ramallah Diaries by Suad Amiry
Be My Knife by David GrossmanBe My Knife by David Grossman
The Lemon Tree An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy TolanThe Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolan
The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos KazantzakisThe Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis
Day After Night by Anita DiamantDay After Night by Anita Diamant
Mother Night by Kurt VonnegutMother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
The Attack Novel by Yasmina KhadraThe Attack: Novel by Yasmina Khadra
Eichmann in Jerusalem A Report on the Banality of Evil by Hannah ArendtEichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil by Hannah Arendt
O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5) by Laurie R. KingO Jerusalem by Laurie R. King
Lamb by Christopher MooreLamb by Christopher Moore
Vengeance The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George JonasVengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George Jonas
Strangers in the House by Raja ShehadehStrangers in the House: Coming of Age in Occupied Palestine by Raja Shehadeh
Dört Ziyafet by Meir ShalevFour Meals by Meir Shalev
The Glory A Novel by Herman WoukThe Glory: A Novel by Herman Wouk
Palestine Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy CarterPalestine Peace Not Apartheid by Jimmy Carter
When I Lived in Modern Times. Linda Grant by Linda GrantWhen I Lived in Modern Times by Linda Grant
Son of Hamas A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices by Mosab Hassan YousefSon of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef
The Blue Mountain A Novel by Meir ShalevThe Blue Mountain by Meir Shalev
Haddsch. Roman. by Leon UrisThe Haj by Leon Uris
Arabesques by Anton ShammasArabesques: A Novel by Anton Shammas
Operation Shylock by Philip RothOperation Shylock by Philip Roth
The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) by Daniel SilvaThe Kill Artist by Daniel Silva
Palestinian Walks Forays into a Vanishing Landscape by Raja ShehadehPalestinian Walks: Forays into a Vanishing Landscape by Raja Shehadeh
Habibi by Naomi Shihab NyeHabibi by Naomi Shihab Nye
Wild Thorns by Sahar KhalifehWild Thorns by Sahar Khalifeh
It's Easier to Reach Heaven Than the End of the Street A Jerusalem Memoir by Emma WilliamsIt's Easier to Reach Heaven Than the End of the Street by Emma Williams
Wandering Star (Lannan Translation Selection Series) by Jean-Marie Gustave Le ClézioWandering Star by Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio
To Know a Woman by Amos OzTo Know a Woman by Amos Oz
O Jerusalem by Larry CollinsO Jerusalem by Larry Collins
The Covenant by Naomi RagenThe Covenant by Naomi Ragen
My Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness A Poet's Life in the Palestinian Century by Adina HoffmanMy Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness by Adina Hoffman
The Yellow Wind With a New Afterword by the Author by David GrossmanThe Yellow Wind: With a New Afterword by the Author by David Grossman
Once Upon a Country A Palestinian Life by Sari NusseibehOnce Upon a Country: A Palestinian Life by Sari Nusseibeh
DAMASCUS GATE by Robert StoneDamascus Gate by Robert Stone
Where The Streets Had A Name by Randa Abdel-FattahWhere The Streets Had A Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah
Bethlehem Road Murder A Michael Ohayon Mystery (Michael Ohayon Mysteries) by Batya GurBethlehem Road Murder: A Michael Ohayon Mystery by Batya Gur
Dancing Arabs by Sayed KashuaDancing Arabs by Sayed Kashua
The Mitla Pass by Leon UrisThe Mitla Pass by Leon Uris
I Saw Ramallah by Mourid BarghoutiI Saw Ramallah by Mourid Barghouti
The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)  by Bodie ThoeneThe Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1) by Bodie Thoene
Mandelbaum Gate by Muriel SparkMandelbaum Gate by Muriel Spark
Rhyming Life and Death by Amos OzRhyming Life and Death by Amos Oz
View from the Eye of the Storm Terror and Reason in the Middle East by Haim HarariView from the Eye of the Storm: Terror and Reason in the Middle East by Haim Harari
Picnic Grounds A Novel in Fragments by Oz ShelachPicnic Grounds: A Novel in Fragments by Oz Shelach
If You Awaken Love by Emuna ElonIf You Awaken Love by Emuna Elon
My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner A Family Memoir by Meir ShalevMy Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner by Meir Shalev
Extreme Rambling by Mark ThomasExtreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. for Fun. by Mark Thomas
The Heart is Katmandu by Yoel HoffmannThe Heart is Katmandu by Yoel Hoffmann
Fast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. OlsonFast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. Olson
The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by José SaramagoThe Gospel According to Jesus Christ by José Saramago

message 3: by Ðɑηηɑ (new)

Ðɑηηɑ * Just a correction, no country is called country named Palestine. Palestine was how the land of Israel was called until the 50's, when Israel became an official country. But it isn't a country...Plestine.

message 4: by Natacha (new)

Natacha Pavlov (natachapavlov) | 26 comments Palestine generally referred to the geographic area between Jordan and Egypt, also known as the land of Israel. While there may not be a 'country' named Palestine, nowadays Palestine refers to the West Bank and the Gaza Strip-- proclaimed the State of Palestine by the PLO--with Jerusalem as its designated capital.

message 12: by Muriel (new)

Muriel Son of Hamas I just finished this. It is the story of the oldest child of one of the founding members of Hamas, his family and the origins of Hamas. Mosab is now a Christian, living in the United States. I found it very informative and an easy read, one of those you can't put down until you are finished.

message 16: by Kathlyn (new)

Kathlyn | 21 comments Thank you for pointing that out Natacha. Actually, I couldn't understand why Palestine had been lumped together with Israel - it is entirely separate albeit illegally occupied.

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Longeuay (RebirthofIsrael) | 4 comments Diane wrote: "Post any books set in Israel or Palestine here."

Rebirth, about the rebirth of Israel in 1948: www.rebirthofisrael.com

message 19: by Kathlyn (new)

Kathlyn | 21 comments The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by written by Israeli professor of history Ilan Pappé from detailed research of the archives of the IDF and Ben-Gurion's personal diaries and meeting notes.
From Coexistence to Conquest: International Law and the Origins of the Arab-Israel by Victor Kattan
I Shall Not Hate by Izzeldin Abuelaish

message 20: by Kathlyn (new)

Kathlyn | 21 comments The General's Son: Journey of an Israeli in Palestine by Miko Peled. Miko's father, Matti Peled, was a general during the so called '6 Day War'. Matti, and later his son Miko, became peace activists calling for an end to the occupation of Palestine.

message 21: by Kathlyn (new)

Kathlyn | 21 comments Palestinians in Israel: Segregation, Discrimination and Democracy by Ben White - an eye opening analysis of apartheid within the green line.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Alster (jasonalster) | 2 comments Leaving Home, Going Home, Returning Home

Hi,
I lived in Israel for 23 years and wrote a memoir that would be compared to a combination of Under The Tuscan Sun; Eat, Pray, Love; and the Hobbit. I visited 16 different countries in my travels between the USA and Israel. For anyone that wants a perspective on living in Israel, comparing the democracies of Israel to the USA and the adventure of it all - this book is for you.

message 24: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 13 comments A book that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas L. Friedman From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas L. Friedman. It won the National Book Award for Nonfiction in 1989.

message 25: by Mickey (last edited Aug 25, 2012 02:19AM) (new)

Mickey | 13 comments I'm reading a book of collected essays from Washington Post writer Gene Weingarten and there was one article where Mr. Weingarten went to sites of recent terrorist attacks. (The article was published in August 2004. It recounts his plane trips and an excursion to the site of one of the terrorist attacks in Spain on the commuter trains, but the majority of his story takes place in Jerusalem and talks about the frequent terrorist attacks there.)

Mr. Weingarten is the only two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing. The essay is called "Fear Itself" and is in The Fiddler in the Subway: The Story of the World-Class Violinist Who Played for Handouts. . . And Other Virtuoso Performances by America's Foremost Feature Writer.

The Fiddler in the Subway The Story of the World-Class Violinist Who Played for Handouts. . . And Other Virtuoso Performances by America's Foremost Feature Writer by Gene Weingarten

message 26: by Mickey (last edited Aug 25, 2012 02:16AM) (new)

Mickey | 13 comments There are two books of letters written by Israeli soldiers that might be of interest:

Self-Portrait Of A Hero The Letters Of Jonathan Netanyahu (1963-1976) by Jonathan Netanyahu
Self-Portrait Of A Hero: The Letters Of Jonathan Netanyahu by Jonathan Netanyahu. The last name might be familiar. This is a collection of letters by the elder brother of current Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Jonathan participated in the Six Day War, as well as The Yom Kippur War. He was killed while trying to rescue Jewish hostages being held in Africa.

Alex Building a Life Building a Life The Story of an American Who Fell Defending Israel, Told in His Letters, Journals, and Drawings by Alex Singer

Another book was Alex Building a Life: Building a Life : The Story of an American Who Fell Defending Israel, Told in His Letters, Journals, and Drawings by Alex Singer, which contains the letters of a soldier who served during the time of the first Intifada. He was also killed fighting terrorists.

message 28: by Dave (new)

Dave Longeuay (RebirthofIsrael) | 4 comments This one tells how it all began in an Israeli war-torn passionate love story: www.rebirthofisrael.com

message 29: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 11802 comments This thread is intended for posting books about Israel and Palestine, and not for debating political or religious views. Please refrain from posting any biased comments for or against either country. It is acceptable for an author to mention his or her book about either country, but please keep any descriptions of said book objective. Everyone is entitled to their own views, but please remember that this is a public forum about books, and not an outlet for airing personal opinions. I respect all viewpoints, but this is not the forum for arguments. There are Goodreads groups available for such debate, but not this one. Thank you for your consideration.

message 30: by Kathlyn (new)

Kathlyn | 21 comments Thank you, Diane.

message 31: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 13 comments Diane wrote: "This thread is intended for posting books about Israel and Palestine, and not for debating political or religious views. Please refrain from posting any biased comments for or against either count..."

Thanks, Diane.

message 32: by Natacha (new)

Natacha Pavlov (natachapavlov) | 26 comments 100% agreed.

message 33: by Dave (new)

Dave Longeuay (RebirthofIsrael) | 4 comments The bottom line is thee are lots of books like Rebirth, which is a controversial book, that will stimulate conversations, but it's to do just that. Stimulate conversation, not argue or get derogatory.

message 38: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 01, 2013 10:27AM) (new)

Jalilah Diane wrote: "This thread is intended for posting books about Israel and Palestine, and not for debating political or religious views. Please refrain from posting any biased comments for or against either count..."

I am so glad you said this Diane. This is not a place for political debates!
I did not see Ports of Call by Amin Maalouf a wonderfully moving novel about love,war and peace!

message 39: by Diane (last edited Aug 02, 2013 12:45PM) (new)

Diane Mcgregor | 4 comments I read "The Other Side of Israel" by Susan Nathan and was very impressed with the fact that this was about a Jewess from London who went to live in the Arab part of Israel and her experiences there. It was informative and because it was her own experiences I found it to be rather shocking. I couldn't put it down though. Please note that I am a new Diane, not the person who kindly moderates this!

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate McVaugh | 21 comments Murder, Jaz, & Tel AvivMurder, Jaz, & Tel Aviv
A chance to laugh in Tel Aviv.

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate McVaugh | 21 comments Jaz, Tall Men, & Mayhem
Jaz's continued adventures in Tel Aviv.

message 42: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 43: by ZM (last edited Oct 08, 2013 06:39AM) (new)

ZM | 1 comments Yishai Sarid's excellent thriller "Limassol"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 44: by Dave (new)

Dave Longeuay (RebirthofIsrael) | 4 comments "Rebirth" about the rebirth of Israel in 1948 (A VERY Pro-Israel novel) is now ready in screenplay format for the film industry. This is the first absolute step that a book needs to make it to the big screen; And this story needs to be revealed to the world! Supporting this novel by posting reviews will help the film project greatly!

You can read about the film script at: www.rebirthofisrael.com Rebirth by Dave Longeuay

message 45: by Efrat (last edited Jun 28, 2014 01:46AM) (new)

Efrat Israeli (efratisraeli) | 3 comments I'm thrilled to share with you my new historical novel HER PROMISED ROAD, inspired by the chronicles of Golda Meir’s early life and her mission to the United States in the 1930's. It depicts the challenges, deliberations and passionate soul searching of a young woman in her early thirties - her natural desire to be loved, an obligation to family, and the urgency of the mission ahead; while questioning if her promised road is worthy of the heavy cost to her personal life… and heart. More about the book here
https://www.amazon.com/author/efratis...
Her Promised Road by Efrat Israeli

message 46: by Khaled (last edited Nov 17, 2014 06:26PM) (new)

Khaled Talib (khaledtalib) | 10 comments This is the book trailer of Smokescreen by Khaled Talib.

This suspense thriller touches on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the American position on the question of Palestine.

The bulk of the story takes place in Singapore - and there is a reason for that.

To see the trailer, please go to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaQL...

SMOKESCREEN
SMOKESCREEN by Khaled Talib

message 47: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 48: by Kathlyn (new)

Kathlyn | 21 comments Not The Enemy: Israel's Jews From Arab Lands Rachel Shabi. An excellent book about the systematic racism in Israel against non European Jews.

message 49: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 8 comments The Collaborator of Bethlehem
Omar Yussef Mystery series - Omar Yussef Sirhan, a 50-ish schoolteacher in a Palestinian refugee camp, living in Bethlehem, Palestinian Authority

The Cat at the Wall - Children's book. Palestine (West Bank)

message 50: by Mmars (new)

Mmars | 77 comments The Book of Gaza: A City in Short Fiction
Ten short stories by Gazan writers. Six by men, four by women. A rare look into the "balms and thorns" of daily life there since 1967.

« previous 1