Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle > The ending. * * Contains Spoilers * *

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:31AM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 162 comments Mod
This thread is for Part V of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: Poison. If you want to comment on things that come at the very end of this last part-- comments that especially might spoil the story for readers who haven't finished-- this is the place!

message 2: by Karey (new)

Carla, here is a copy of the post you put in the other thread:... Oh NOOOOO! I must not have hit the control button when I thought I pasted it. Very, very sorry. Please post your questions again! I'd love to discuss them! Again, so sorry.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz I was VERY disappointed and upset at the end of the book. OK, I should have remembered my Hamlet better, but if everyone was going to die anyway, what in the heck was the point of the whole middle section where Edgar runs away. There is a lot of extraneous detail in that segment, as well as several characters that that we as readers become involved with --but to what purpose? In retrospect I can't even decide what the "theme" of the book is: life is good because dogs endure? I thought the writing was brilliant and I loved the first third of the novel. But I thought the second part dragged...and the end was unnessarily depressing. One more peeve: I don't think the author offered sufficient motivation for the mom and the uncle to get invovled. Yeah, she was in over her head with the kennel...but why not marry the nice vet instead? Really looking forward to hearing what others thought. --Liz

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla | 5 comments I couldn't agree more with you. The ending was like a bad movie, they don't know how do end it so they end it with a black screen, and the next thing you see are credits rolling. It took him 14 years to write this book, somewhere I think he forgot what to focus on. I'm still unsure , did the mother die in the end, and did Edgar actually see Claude kill his dad and block it out of his mind? Whew, all that reading, and to end so poorly. Most reviewers seem to have loved it, are we missing something, I don't think so.
Carla

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Regarding the ending, although it certainly was not the way I wanted it to end, I don't think it merits being called a poor ending. Lots of things in the book actually tied in, I thought.

Ida Payne warned Edgar not to return unless he found the bottle; but he returned anyway, hence the devastating loss.

When Almondine and his father came to Edgar when he died, I thought that was beautiful.

I understood at the end that Claude was actually a very troubled man; I did not loathe him at the end the way I did throughout the entire book. I felt that he was almost "possessed" by the contents of the bottle, and in some ways, even somewhat afraid of it.

I was very happy that the dogs were all freed and what I believe happened is that Essay led the pack back to Henry. When the pack saw Forte, we knew that Essay was following the same path on which she and Edgar travelled.

The point of Edgar running away, well he met Henry. I loved Henry's character and what all of them (dogs included) gave to each other; Henry was a lonely "ordinary" man before Edgar and the dogs came into his life; and when Edgar left Henry, it taught Edgar to understood about the dogs making a choice ... Tinder stayed with Henry, and Baboo went back to be with Tinder. and like I said above, I believe all the dogs went to Henry at the end.

message 6: by Karey (new)

Interesting thought, Diane, about all the dogs going to Henry in the end.

I've had mixed emotions about the ending like all of you, yet I feel that knowing Edgar, as the author did in his mind, he was likely being true to the fact that Edgar could not have made any other choice but to return, being who he was.

Like you say, Diane, he was warned, but that doesn't mean that Edgar had to or would have stayed away. He must have had a compelling, internal motive for returning. My only thought is that it's not fair to the reader when a character knows something the reader does not. I was really surprised when he didn't continue North to the commune.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Glad to hear from you Karey!
I think Edgar made his mind up to go home when the wind stopped during the storm when he, Henry and the dogs had to pull over. Even though Ida told him to not return, specifically "it's only wind" I think Edgar saw a similarity between his father communicating in the rain and then the wind.

I was excited by something a friend of mine pointed out today, as she just finished also. She commented on how God made Edgar unable to communicate by voice....just as dogs cannot communicate with an actual voice. I thought that was a brilliant observation!

message 8: by Karey (new)

How interesting. I wonder if that's why Wroblewski chose to make Edgar a mute. I wish we could ask him.

By the way, I emailed him to see if he'd do a Q & A here, but never heard back. Sniff, sniff.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) hi Karey ! How are you?
that's really too bad he never answered you back for a Q&A. Seems we read that so long ago, doesn't it?

message 10: by Karey (last edited Sep 16, 2009 05:23PM) (new)

That's alright. Especially since I ended up getting a dog, so that's made everything just hunky dory!

But didn't we have fun? I did have a fun Q & A with Neil Gaiman. Have you read his Newbery award-winning book, The Graveyard Book?

Now it's time for the next pick! Two days to go!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) No I have not read the Graveyard Book, but I've heard of it.

message 12: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 1 comments Karey wrote: "How interesting. I wonder if that's why Wroblewski chose to make Edgar a mute. I wish we could ask him.

By the way, I emailed him to see if he'd do a Q & A here, but never heard back. Sniff, sniff."

Hello Karey,
I've actually met Wroblewski at a reading and I asked him the same question you're wondering about. He said the idea for a mute character came from a time when he had some ailment in his mouth which made it difficult to talk. So he said he went around for several days not speaking at all. It was such an interesting experience for him that he wanted to create a character who had no voice.
Hope that answers your question.

message 13: by Karey (new)

Yes it does. Thank you!