Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Best Actor/Actress

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Out of these names who do you think was the best actor/actress in the hp movies:

1st Dumbledore, 2nd Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Fred & George, Hagrid, Fudge, Sirius, Lupin, Quirrel, Mad-eye, Tonks, Mrs. Weasley, Mr. Weasley, Ginny, Cedric, Oliver Wood,etc.

I really like the 1st Dumbledore. He was exactly how I imagined Dumbledore should be. I love the scene in number one when he tries the bertie botts every flavored beans. I also really like Dan, Rupert, and Emma (Harry, Ron, Hermione). It is really interesting to see how much they have learned about acting over the years.

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) i agree with you about the 1st Dumbledore. It sucked that he passed away. the Harry Potter movies weren't the same aftewards. Of course I think the trio are great actors. But my favorite actor has to be the guy that played Sirius. Hell everyone in the movies is a great actor/actress..lol

message 3: by Steph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Steph (kitsune_chan) | 47 comments Dan, Emma, and Rupert are great actors, as are Gary Oldman (Sirius Black) and David Thewlis (Remus Lupin). But probably my favorite would have to be Evanna Lynch who played Luna Lovegood.

message 4: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments oh yes! all actors in the movie series played they parts well, except for the 2nd dumbledore who seemed too strict and bossy. i can't forget how he acted in goblet of fire when harry's name was picked by the goblet. dumbledore in the book did not react the way he did! i also love the actor of macgonagall, she really personifies her. whatever they say about daniel radcliff, he acted harry really well.

message 5: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 83 comments I also like all of the actors. I love Maggie Smith as McGonagall. She is such a great actress. I also love the actress that plays Molly Weasley, I can't remember her name right now. She is exactly how I pictured Mrs. Weasley when I read the books.

I'm a little torn on the 2 Dumbledores. I love and respect both actors, as they both had/have great films in their pasts. I have always pictured Dumbledore as the 1st actor (whose name escapes me), and I was so sad when the actor died! What a terrible loss! When I heard that Michael Gambon was going to be playing Dumbledore, I had mixed feelings about it cause I had just seen him in The Life Aquatic and Gosford Park and just didn't see him as Dumbledore. I am glad that he didn't try to copy what the first actor did with the role of Dumbledore. The 1st Dumbledore is still the one I picture when reading the books, but I do like the fire the 2nd Dumbledore has brought to the role.

I love and enjoy all of the actors/actresses who play in the films. I just can't think of any role that I didn't like the casting of. Whether it was the adults or the kids, they were all cast so well. Everytime they have a casting call, I wish I could audition! I'd audition to be a tree if I thought it would get me on the set and near the cast :) LOL.

message 6: by Amy Marie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Amy Marie (amy_marie97) | 26 comments I LOVE those British actors!

I LOOOVE (in no particular order):

Gary Oldman (Sirius), David Thewlis (Remus), Maggie Smith (McGonagall), Dan (Harry), Emma (Hermione), Rupert (Ron), Helena Bohnem Carter (Bellatrix), Ralph Fiennes (Voldy), Natalia Tenna (Tonks), Mark Williams (Mr Weasley), Julie Walter (Mrs. Weasley), Imelda Stauton (Umbridge), Jason Issacs (Lucius Malfoy), Bonnie Wright (Ginny), Luna (Evanna Lynch), Tom Felton (Draco) and others I cannot think of at 11:18 at night.

Dude, thats like the entire cast...

The gal who plays Cho is good, but not great...

Basically, if you are a good (and famous) actor and cannot get into a Harry Potter movie, you should get a new agent.

What i love about all the actors/actresses is that you can see them and love them in other movies. I spend my free time with my friends (who are also obsessed) watching movies with the actor in them... Patriot (Jason Issacs), Air Force One (Gary Oldman), The Scarlett Letter (Gary Oldman), Corpse Bride (Hellena Bonhem Carter's voice), Avatar (Jason Issac's voice), Mark Williams (Shakespeare in Love), ect...

I am a huge fan of the movies...and don't try to get me to say otherwise. ^_^

message 7: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 12 comments I think the Richard Harris as the 1st Dumbledore was tremendous... this latest Dumbledore is rather a disappointment.

I have a HUGE crush on Snape (of all people) in the movies. But Alan Rickman is an AMAZING actor in his own right.

Even though I thought it was lame how they cut down her story to almost nothing, and that she's rather too pretty for the described character, I thought that Miranda Richardson was pretty good as Rita Skeeter.

I just have to say that I think that Evanna Lynch was a terrible choice for Luna! Yikes! But Mark Williams and ESPECIALLY Julie Walters are FANTASTIC as Mr. & Mrs. Weasley.

I must confess I find the movies a major let down, however... especially these last ones. You loose the characters in their thrust for a fast-paced action movie. I can't imagine understanding what's going on in them without having read the books! So sad. :(

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Yeah, I really wanted to see Bill and Charlie in the films. They only had them in the picture of the Weasley family in #3. I also wanted to see Dobby. They also left Ginny out of a lot of stuff.

message 9: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 83 comments I love Alan Rickman! I can't think of one movie that had Alan Rickman in it that I didn't like or love.

I agree with Amy, both about needing a new agent if you are a good and famous actor and haven't been in a Potter film and that the actors/actresses in the films have great films in their repertoire.

I like Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, but the nose thing (or lack of nose) just sends chills down my spine. I think I actually get a little giddy when I see Voldemort. Hmm. :)

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Rachel i think alan rickman is perfect as snape, richard harris was incredible as dumbledore and whoever played mad-eye was also fantastic. but if i had to choose one best actor i would choose ralph fiennes as voldemort. he is so good in that role that if i saw him on the street, i would run away in fear.

message 11: by Alistair (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Alistair | 6 comments Luna is awesome! She is exactly like this girl at my school. They look alike too... It scares me how much alike they are. The girl at my school, every time i speak to her she always sounds as if she is coming out of some other world or something. She appears to be in some neverending, life long dream. Quite funny, actually. Dan, Rupert, and Emma do a good acting job as well.

message 12: by kristel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

kristel ting | 17 comments GARY OLDMAN!!!! i also like rupert and the other weasley, of course the weasley twins!! they both got the character. yea,i like dan but like i've said, dan and harry are completely different person. i hope the actors/actresses who played the weasley family dyed their hair bright red as what was written in the book. snape! i like the actor also,and...voldemort. uhm, oh yeah, maggie smith, she really IS prof mcgonnagal. hehehehe, filch too! oh yeah!! hahahah! draco malfoy!! oh gosh he's so cute!!

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments i liked all the actors and actresses because they're actually really good. especially Maggie Smith [i love her], Emma Watson [she is a really really good actress], the girl who plays Luna i forgot her name but surprisingly she's a really good actress and she's quite pretty and she's exactly how i imagined her. so is the actress playing Mrs Weasley, and Ron. they're the best. i actually cried when 1st Dumbledore died. he was the best. he fitted the character so well and i just love him. i don't like the 2nd dumbledore much because i thought he was kind rough. the way he talks, his acting. not that he's not a good actor but 1st dumbledore was a better dumbledore than the 2nd.

oh and i heart Tom Felton [Draco Malfoy] he is so so cute!!! Lol. him and the dude playing Neville. he changed so much during the 5th movie!!! i love him. haha!!!

although i like Daniel Radcliffe, i personally think he's acting was kinda bland. its like he doesn't show much emotion in the movies and he doesn't stand out much like Emma and Rupert.

message 14: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i heard in some news here that emma watson is developing a personality on hp set. she complains a lot when the director makes her do more takes in her acting. she probably think she has acted her best but it's a director's right if she acted it the way "he" likes and not the way "she" likes. in defence to daniel, honestly i think he's acting the way harry doesin the books, unsure and trying to hide his emotions. he loves his friends but he would protect them from everthing even from his dark thoughts. he is not at all showy with his emotions that's why ron & hermione talk to him relentlessly till he shows some emotions (and then they get scared at his feelings). i love this trio!

message 15: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Cathy | 50 comments I ADORE Alan Rickman, he is sooo wonderful in all of his roles, and was absolutely born to play Snape. He makes the movies so wonderful. As I am myself 700 years old, he and Gary Oldman are hotties to me. Daniel Radcliffe is a darling little whipper snapper. Dumbledore actors (over 1000) are still too old for me.
Alan Rickman in Dogma is "divine" (heehee--voice of god) and Gary Oldman as Beethoven or on Air Force One caused my old gray heart to skip a beat.

message 16: by Jordan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Jordan (jordieheartsbooks) Cathy, while I myself am not 700-yrs-old I still find Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman hotties. (Off topic, I think Sean Connery is sexy as hell too)

I also enjoyed Maggie as McGonagall, she embodies the spirit perfectly (especially when facing off with Umbridge). I in fact envisioned McGonagall looking and acting exactly as Maggie portrays her. Of course, I think everyone does an amazing job of capturing their respective characters, though I am partial to Alan and Maggie.

message 17: by Shifa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Shifa Lateef | 27 comments 1) Luna Lovegood (Evanna Lynch) I thought of her just like the way she was in the movie.

2)Professor McGonnagal (Maggie Smith?) Strict, and its just her facial expressions that make her a good actor to me.

3) Professor Snap (Alan Rickman) The Movies would be horrible without him. It takes talent to talk without moving your lips and I always like how he always seems to have something hidden.

4) Professor Umbridge (Who?) Not exactly the way I imagined her but I got used to it and have grown to love her.

message 18: by Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) | 25 comments Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, & Jason Isaacs. They ARE the characters they play, no matter what movie they're in.

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I read that too Peng.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Hands down I'd say Richard Harris' (1st) Dumbledore. But since he hasn't been there for the entire series (as the actor regretably died) I'd have to say Alan Rickman as Snape.

message 21: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I'd say Alan Rickman too, and also Imelda Staunton.

message 22: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments alan rickman as snape is amazing... whoever played umbridge was unbelievably good as well...gary oldman as sirius.
best though, absolute best in my opinion is evanna lynch as luna! she's just exactly as i pictured/heard her in the books!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments Imelda Staunton plays Umbridge. And yes, I agree that she is fantastic!

The actors who were exactly as I pictured them were Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, and whoever plays Mrs. Weasley.

The actors who were not how I pictured them, but are still amazing Helena Bonham Carter and Evanna Lynch. I love how much fun Helena has with the role; it's great to watch!

message 24: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 100 comments ah, yeah, she's great as well...

message 25: by London (last edited Jul 23, 2009 05:55PM) (new)

London | 273 comments I think that everyone was cast perfectly except for ginny! she isn't horriable but not the best. just not how i imagined her. I love emma watson as hermione! she is simply amazing! dan and rupert are amazing also! but snape (alan rickman) is great!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Best Actor - Sirius Black/Severus Snape
Best Actress: Definitely Hermione

message 27: by freddy (new)

freddy (wynter81) The person playing Umbridge did an AWESOME job!!! I hated her so much!!! She did her job well :)

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill (aprilfool87) | 3 comments Emma Watson, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Evanna Lynch, Gary Oldman

message 29: by Ishani (new)

Ishani (IshaniG) | 425 comments Alan Rickman (Snape), Gary Oldman (Sirius), Emma Watson(Hermione), Michael Gambon (Dumbledore), and Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix)!!! So real and awsm.... Just loved them!!
In fact the whole cast was just amazing. Dan and Rupert as well! I srsly love the actors in the films a lot! Go Potter!

message 30: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Garcia | 27 comments The best for me:

Mcgonagall - Maggie smith
Bellatrix - Helena Carter
Snape - Alan Rickman

message 31: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Garcia | 27 comments I really didn't like the 2nd Dumbledore specially in Goblet of Fire. It's like the actor didn't even read the books. You don't need much to understand he didn't do it the right way. He is so energetic and explosive... For god's sake. It really disappointed me

message 32: by Aydin (new)

Aydin Sessions (justin_case) | 406 comments I loved Alan rickman in the movies
But in the books Sirius balck

message 33: by Ivette (new)

Ivette Morel | 10 comments Jorge wrote: "The best for me:

Mcgonagall - Maggie smith
Bellatrix - Helena Carter
Snape - Alan Rickman"

I completely agree the second Dumbledore was not good at all. The scene in the Goblet of Fire where he grabs Harry and yells at him asking if he submitted his name into the Goblet makes me cringe and roll my eyes every time.

message 34: by Elle (new)

Elle (oceanstone) | 41 comments Some of my favorites are Ron, Hermione, Harry, the first Dumbledore, and Luna.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved them all!!!
(especially Bellatrix!!)

message 36: by Cammie (new)

Cammie (ham4cam) | 9 comments DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!! There is a brotherhood of man.......

message 37: by Aydin (new)

Aydin Sessions (justin_case) | 406 comments Yes Bellatrix was great

message 38: by Blue (new)

Blue Jiay | 16 comments I loved Emma Watson in every single movie, I thought she was really great. Dan got a bit awkward from Azkaban but from the Half blood prince I loved him again. Rupert just seem so Ronnish so I didn't think he needed to act XD. I really didn't like Michael Gambon, there wasn't any Dumbledorish love and wisdom portrayed like the first one. Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Ralph Fiennes, man, they were all awesome. Oh Oh Luna (Evanna Lynch) was exactly how I imagined Luna. And I hated Umbridge TO THE CORE - meaning Imelda Stauton did a marvellous job ^_^

message 39: by Chick (last edited Jun 03, 2013 07:20PM) (new)

Chick | 163 comments Ishani wrote: "Alan Rickman (Snape), Gary Oldman (Sirius), Emma Watson(Hermione), Michael Gambon (Dumbledore), and Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix)!!! So real and awsm.... Just loved them!!
In fact the whole cast..."

True. Alan Rickman...woo! Just amazing. Brilliant actor. And I love, like Ishani said, "Emma Watson(Hermione), Michael Gambon (Dumbledore), and Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix)". And Evanna Lynch :)

message 40: by Chick (new)

Chick | 163 comments I know that Richard Harris was a wonderful Dumbledore, but I don't know why everyone seems to be so anti-Michael Gambon (don't hate me, just saying my thoughts:) )

message 41: by Aydin (new)

Aydin Sessions (justin_case) | 406 comments Yay, personally I like Gambdon a little better
(Even though they were both amazing)

message 42: by Chick (new)

Chick | 163 comments Justin wrote: "Yay, personally I like Gambdon a little better
(Even though they were both amazing)"

Same here! :)

message 43: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 49 comments I don't think I'll be able to just pick one. But Alan Rickman as Snape is always the first that comes to mind. He just have a way of saying things. I also love Rupert Grint as Ron it's just the way I'd pictured him. Finally Gary Oldman as Sirius was amazing as well.

I also really think they did real life Lucius Malfoy really well!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

i love snape,dumbledore, and bellatrix

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura Cantu (lauraccantu) | 11 comments I thought all the major actors did a fantastic job. I was especially impressed with how natural Rupert (Ron) acted as a young child. He had quirks that made Ron likable and believable. Also, he seemed fearless in how far he would go to make a point, even if it was with body language. I found it refreshing.
Like many of you, I loved the first Dumbledore. The actor mastered the subtleness of his character. The second Dumbledore did a good job too. In my opinion, however, his personality did not match the Dumbledore in the book. It was nothing against his acting ability.

Hagrid, McGonagall, Snape, Harry's muggle family, The trio, Sirius, Lupen, and so many others were fantastic too!