The Sword and Laser discussion

Who's going to Dragon*Con this year?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 934 comments Mod
Besides Lady Sword and Sir Laser, I know that I and aldenoneil are attending, and from another thread it looks like Brock, Mollie, and Jon as well.

Who else will be Conning the Dragon with us?

message 2: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments You speak true. I cannot arrive on dragonback as originally planned, however. If Martin's taught me one thing, it's to never show your dragons too soon. She'll stay at home.

I will be parachuting in, though, shooting off a flamethrower and yelling curses at the city of Atlanta.

message 3: by Ed (last edited Aug 29, 2011 01:39PM) (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments I'll be there! I've gone every year for the past 8 years.

Is there a Sword & Laser meet-up scheduled?

message 4: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

aldenoneil, make your parachute in the shape of dragon wings and strategically fire off the flamethower and you will FOOL EVERYONE.

Ed, awesome! Did you see Richard Garriott's giving a talk at 2:30 Friday at the Hilton Crystal room?

There's not a S&L meet-up scheduled yet as far as I know (*looks towards Lady Sword and Sir Laser*....)

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments Wow, awesome! Thanks for the tip, Josh. I haven't looked at the schedule at all. I like to do that Thursday night before the con and be surprised. :-)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments I'm not going to the con, but I'd drive over for a meet up!

message 7: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments You're the local - where's the hottest place in town for all us cool kids in the sci-fi/fantasy Internet book club?

message 8: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3605 comments irc://undernet.org #swordandlaser

;)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments Not *that* local

message 10: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1492 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "irc://undernet.org #swordandlaser

;)"

WE HAVE AN IRC?!

I've been yelling a lot in the forums today.

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1492 comments Mod
I can't get in the room! Is this a fake thing you made up to tease me!?

message 12: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Someone set up an irc channel back in the Ning days, but it was always just me and a couple of silent admins in there.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Someone set up an irc channel back in the Ning days, but it was always just me and a couple of silent admins in there."
You mean a few lurkers waiting for something to happen?

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3605 comments Yeah I made that up. But really, if people wanted to talk real-time it'd probably be easy enough to either set one up or at least meet in there. Not like you need bots or admins if people are behaving themselves so you can just irc:irc.undernet.org and /join #swordandlaser

Really I was just being a nerd...

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2329 comments IRC? Bah! We need a Usenet group.

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Sean wrote: "IRC? Bah! We need a Usenet group."

Usenet. Blah! Where's the S&L BBS? *dusts off modem*

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments ... oh and I can't attend. Me dragon does not traverse the oceans so well... but I look forward to photos and stories aplenty.

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments I'm sorry I missed the live show. It was the same time as the Dollhouse panel, the only Dollhouse panel all weekend, and I couldn't miss that.

I wish there had been a meet-up some evening. Or did I just not hear about it?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments Ed wrote: "I wish there had been a meet-up some evening. Or did I just not hear about it? "
I was wondering this too. Did you have a good time Ed?

And who got a t-shirt?

message 20: by Ed (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments I had a great time, Jenny. I look forward to DragonCon all year long. It's my Woodstock, my Disney World, my family reunion all rolled into one. It's more fun than Christmas.

message 21: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Ed, I meant to look for you at the Richard Garriott talk on Fri but forgot. Did you catch it? I had tons of fun at the con, too.

The meet-up never materialized. T & V need an assistant to help them organize their S&L activities - any volunteers??

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Jlawrence wrote: "Ed, I meant to look for you at the Richard Garriott talk on Fri but forgot. Did you catch it? I had tons of fun at the con, too.

The meet-up never materialized. T & V need an assistant to help ..."

No meetup, how sad. You guy's need to trade mobile numbers or something so you can form a improv meetup.

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments P.S. what 'is' Richard Garriott up to these days?

message 24: by Ed (last edited Sep 09, 2011 04:12PM) (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments Jlawrence wrote: "Ed, I meant to look for you at the Richard Garriott talk on Fri but forgot. Did you catch it? I had tons of fun at the con, too."

Yep, I was there! I was initially a little disappointed it wasn't a panel about Ultima, but what he ended up talking about was pretty fascinating stuff.

Andrew wrote: "No meetup, how sad. You guy's need to trade mobile numbers or something so you can form a improv meetup."

Yeah, we really should have just picked a time and place and exchanged Twitter IDs or mobile numbers or something.

Andrew asked: "P.S. what 'is' Richard Garriott up to these days?"

Civilians in SPAAAAAAACE....

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Ad... for more information.

message 25: by Jon (new)

Jon Sprunk | 40 comments DragonCon was outstanding this year. I wrote a little post about on my blog (http://jonsprunk.blogspot.com/) .

The people, the costumes, the writers and publishers . . . just a rocking good time.

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Ed wrote: "Yeah, we really should have just picked a time and place and exchanged Twitter IDs or mobile numbers or something.
"

Oh well next time. Rather a missed opportunity with you all there. All those fun awkward intros where you meet another online personality :)

Ed wrote: "Civilians in SPAAAAAAACE...."

He still focused on that. Thought he would have burn't through a fair part of his $ getting up there himself. Guess Carmack is the same with his rockets.

Curoius. How's Worldcon compared to Dragoncon as far as these con's go? (I know not that same, but overall fun etc..)

message 27: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Sep 09, 2011 05:55PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments Andrew wrote: "Oh well next time. Rather a missed opportunity with you all there. All those fun awkward intros where you meet another online personality :)..."
I revel in the awkward of meeting people I have known first online, seriously it can be great.

message 28: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Jenny wrote: "I revel in the awkward of meeting people I have known first online, seriously it can be great."

I just knew you would Jenny ;)

btw. I do too. Meeting people is fun.

message 29: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Ed wrote: "Jlawrence wrote: "Ed, I meant to look for you at the Richard Garriott talk on Fri but forgot. Did you catch it? I had tons of fun at the con, too."

Yep, I was there! I was initially a little disappointed it wasn't a panel about Ultima, but what he ended up talking about was pretty fascinating stuff."

I agree. Before the talk, my general take on his space travel had been "Ok, he's super-rich so he can afford to buy a ride to the space station - not that interesting", but I was very impressed with how much detailed research and thought he's put into how commercial space travel can become less and less expensive, and how that can revive space exploration in general, and how he performed his own protein crystal growth experiments while in space, etc.

Andrew wrote: "Oh well next time. Rather a missed opportunity with you all there. All those fun awkward intros where you meet another online personality :)..."
I revel in the awkward of meeting people I have known first online, seriously it can be great."

Agreed - next year we should just make it happen if T & V don't have a chance to pick an official time/place.

BTW, here's aldenoneil (left) and me (right) at the con.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2258 comments You guys! Nice to see you! Who has the awesome camera?

message 31: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

That picture was taken by Roger Chang - you can see more of his Dragon*Con pics on his Flickr stream - including about 5 million parade shots, and Veronica being attacked by a brain slug.

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments V's Slug reminded me of the Day of the Tentacle - Tentacle’s.

Anyway thanks for posting, and highlighting Roger's flickr. He really went to town with that Canon of his didn't he.

Also re: Lord British and private (tourism) space travel I'm rather torn too. I mean it costs a bucket$ and limited resources so a small collection of wealthy individuals can have an experience, meanwhile you have a massive issues here on the rock they're hopping off for a while. I think I'd just prefer NASA to be funded properly.