Armchair Sailors discussion

Whew!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Monissa and I just spent...well, at least an hour combining various editions of O'Brian's books. I did the actual combining; Monissa searched out translations for French, Spanish and (possibly) Polish editions.

This should mean that all ratings and reviews should show up for each book, regardless of which edition was read.

Yay us!

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Heh.

What it means is that all the different editions of, say, Master & Commander, are now connected to each other, ie the database knows they're different versions of the same book. Which means that when you look at your edition of M&C, you'll be able to see the ratings and reviews that were given to all the different editions. Also, Goodreads will no longer demand that you "add this book" just because a friend has a different edition from yours.

You'll be able to see cover art for each different edition--ie each version of the book that has a different ISBN--but not variations on covers for the same edition with the same ISBN. This is a hot topic on Goodreads at the moment, but I don't think there are any plans to make multiple covers assigned to the same ISBN available.

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse (International Standard Book Number)

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Amazon must have some method of keeping the editions together, but they seem to come here in a rawer state :).

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse And another ten or so minutes spent on this Sisyphean task today. New editions keep turning up!

message 6: by Monissa, Deck Hand (new)

Monissa | 87 comments Mod

There's one of each on my bookshelf, I'm sure. I gave up on trying to get anything resembling matching covers.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse So far my covers match, but the books are different heights!