The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Sookie Alert!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, totally off the subject of books, but just got word that Sookie is appearing on the new ABC show "Samantha Who" (starring Christina Applegate). It's basically about how Applegate is a terrible person but is in an accident and has amnesia. Now she's a really nice person learning that she wasn't so nice. I have no idea if the show is any good, but my friend (who's a GG fan) was pretty excited about the whole Sookie thing so I'm assuming she has a decent-size role.

message 2: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments She does have a cute role on the show. She plays a girl that Samantha was friends with in junior high before she became popular. Now that Samantha has amnesia, Sookie (can't remember her characters name right now) lies to her and tells her they were best friends. She has a very cute role, very chatty and lots of personality. I was exvited to see her back on TV.

message 3: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Another GG character and a new show I have yet to check out. Has anyone heard about Lauren Graham? She has some type of holding contract with NBC so she doesn't get a show with another network, but I think they have yet to provide a new show for her.

message 4: by Brooke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Brooke i tivo-ed Samantha Who? Now I can't wait to watch and see "Sookie"

message 5: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
O.K., while we're talking about ex-GG sightings, I have to mention that Rory's Grandfather has been on Grey's Anatomy for the past two episodes! He's kind of a goofy character, though.

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Meghan I meant to post that too. I just caught a glimpse of him last night.

message 7: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments His character was cracking me up trying to be hip with all the Grey's lingo. He annoyed me the first week but last night he provided some comic relief.

And let us not forget Jess (Milo V.) who is a regular on Heroes.

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I LOVE Heroes. And I didn't like Milo on GG (I hated the Jess character) but I love him on Heroes. Plus he has the coolest power.

message 9: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Meghan And don't forget Dean! He's been on that Supernaturals show for a few years now. Still on the CW.

Oh and the Chad Michael dude. Is One Tree Hill still around?

And Paris has shown up on an older episode of Law & Order (or two. I can't remember if she's been on the spin off too.)

message 10: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Sarah, I LOVE Heroes, too! So great... and Yeah Jess/Peter (Milo) is really cool. His power is intense. I especially like him right now with forgetting. Why on earth does he look hotter? I never really thought him so until he showed up in Ireland (with some of the all-time worst Irish accents I've ever heard).

I know this is going way off the grid here, but are you as pissed as me that Sylar lived? And then, how'd he suddenly end up in Mexico after that rainforest? Grrr. They have a new Evil One. Why'd they bring him back???

Okay, I'm back to being a Rory Girl. LOL

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Agreed on the Irish accents... the show can afford all these neat special effects but they can't hire a dialect coach? But yeah, he is way hotter this season. He has a better hair cut too. I hated his hair cut last season! I know someone who said she had no idea what happened during episode 2 because she was so distracted by Wet and Shirtless Peter. LOL

I know, I thought the guy that played Sylar got a movie deal and wasn't going to be on this season! And I could not care less about the Mya/Alejandro story line. I guess they must be the new Niki/Jessica/violent killers.

message 12: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I didn't watch last season because I just never got in at the beginning. So I started this season because I love Kristen Bell and she actually starts in the next episode. Anyway, I am a far way behind on what's happening, but I am so loving this show!

And I agree that Jess/Peter looks smokin' hot! And I hated on GG too!

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Tiffany, get the DVD. The first season was FABULOUS.

And yeah, Milo looks good on this show, but let's not forget about Mohinder. Wowza.

message 14: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

I copied & pasted this from Popsugar...it's ASP's(GG creator) movie, based on a book. Book & movie look interesting.

Who's that lady wearing the funny hat?
Why, that's Amy Sherman-Palladino, the writer/producer behind "Gilmore Girls" and the upcoming Fox series "The Return of Jezebel James."

Great. Now, what's she doing with SJP?
The TV writer extraordinaire has recruited Sarah Jessica Parker for a starring role in her first feature film, an adaptation of the Amy Cohen book The Late Bloomer's Revolution.

What's the story?
The book is a memoir about what happens when the author's mother dies and she sets out to become closer to her father — while they're both testing the waters of the dating pool.

Sounds perfect for these two.
As Sherman-Palladino told Variety: "Character stuff is what I do best, and there is an interesting lady at the center of this who explores a relationship with her father, who'd always been the silent guy in the corner watching TV when her mom was around. The humor is key here, and Sarah Jessica is a great comedienne."

message 15: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Meghan Oh, and back to the back main GG girl, Lorelai...did anyone catch the Mandy Moore movie (where Lauren Graham played the older sister)? I'm wondering if LG will ever be able to find a role that was as rich and thoroughly well-rounded as Lorelai (and is it weird that LG has the same initials as her character LG?). So far her movie choices have been less than stellar. I think it goes to show how incredible the writing was on the GG show.

message 16: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

The fact that Lauren Graham has not been able to find a role in a movie worthy of her goes to show how bad movies have gotten. (Wasn't she Vin Diesel's wife in "The Pacificer"?) I have seen one movie in the theater so far in 2007 (The Bourne Ultimatium). I'd much rather be at home watching Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, or any of the other much more worthy things on TV.

Lauren Graham is the bomb! There is no movie worthy of her in my opinion. She was so perfect on GG, and I can't believe she never got an Emmy.

message 17: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Okay, first and foremost: MOHINDER - YUMMMMM. Thank you, Sarah, for that lovely reverie.

That said, not Vin Diesel's wife, a school principle and romantic interest of his.

Okay, now don't get me wrong... I think Lauren Graham was stupendous as Lorelai... but in other things I've seen her in I've not been all that impressed with her acting. I'm hoping that that doesn't remain so... maybe after the rich dialog of GG she just can't quite get her timing again or something. I still love her, but I think she has to perform well in the roles she does choose - even when they are less than stellar.

As to the movie mentioned, I will totally go see it because of Sherman-Palladino, but I am so NOT a Sarah Jessica Parker fan. :(

Oh, and I totally cracked up at the "Wet and Shirtless Peter" story!!!

message 18: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Oh yes I am a big Heroes fan. He will always be Jess to me. I saw Milo on some men's health magazine - he really had to pump up for this season. very nice......... good thing it's monday.

message 19: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

FYI, I just found out that's "Jess" on Fergie's Big Girls Don't Cry Video. (Everyone know this but me?) If you haven't seen it, watch it on YouTube. It's a bit of a different role for him.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ew. Not a fan of the overly-tattooed look. One or two can be sexy, but no need to completely cover one's self.

I do like that song, though.

message 21: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Yeah a little too much cheese factor in the song and video. Fergie looks very Debbie Gibson with that hat on.

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I know, what is up with that? I do not like that outfit or hat or her hair. And usually she's so pretty.

message 23: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

That song is a guilty pleasure for me. Not too sure about the slicked-back pony tail-having Jess. Looks like he's buying drugs? I didn't finish it.

message 24: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I haven't gotten to watch it yet (mainly because YouTube is blocked at schoo), but now I am curious. I love the song and listen to it on my iPod quite a bit. It just has that spunky beat that catched on. I will look for the cameo of Jess.

message 25: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

I didn't find his Latin transformation believable, funny? Yes!

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) So, yeah, back to the original post... I watched the 2 episodes of Samantha Who on ABC's web site and it's actually a cute show. Christina Applegate is very funny.

message 27: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Meghan Hard to believe she ever played a Bundy!

message 28: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Gilmore alum update:

Rory's grandad just had a stroke on Grey's Anatomy (is this poor actor doomed to spend the rest of his working days acting from a hospital bed?)

Is that Luke in the trailer for Saw 4??

Do I watch too much TV?

P.S. The actor who played Rory's grandad (too lazy to look it up right now) was also a minor player in the film version of The Great Gatsby (with Robert Redford & Mia Farrow). And wasn't the Great Gatsby one of Rory's selections?

I know this is all irrelevant but fun for me.

Happy Halloween!!

message 29: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Meghan Alison! You crack me up! And yes, I think Edward Hermann should have an award of best hospital bed performer ever!

And yes, he was in the Great Gatsby. I think I'm going to rewatch the movie if we ever pick the book (which isn't my favorite so no need to rush on that selectioin!)

And totally good call about Luke! He is, sadly, in Saw IV. (It never bodes well if you're in a movie with Roman numerals unless it's about British monarchs.) He plays Agent Strahm.

And since I was looking up Edward and Scott's bios, I looked at the others' bios. Lorelai and Sookie have a movie each in post-production. Rory's got the sequel to the Sisterhood in Pants series in post-production (yay - I love those books). Emily and Michel have nothing slated. (Although I found out that Michel is Canadian, which totally explains his French accent!) But the best--Lane is the voice of Yori on Kim Possible (a disney tv cartoon for the uninitiated). I love that show.

message 30: by Cody (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments To the OP, yes Suki is in Samantha Who? Her character is really sweet in it but very insecure, it's so weird to see her as something besides 'I'm a good chef!' Suki.

message 31: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Megan | 118 comments I just caught Jackson on a rerun of Grounded for Life. He was a school psychologist/therapist using a cabbage patch kid to talk to kids.

Edward Hermann was also in a great film "The Electric Grandmother".

message 32: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Michel actually doesn't have an accent at all in real life. It's weird if you hear him in an interview! He's almost... boring! LOL

I knew that about Lane being Yori on Kim Possible. I confess I'm a HUGE fan of KP, goofy as that is. On my myspace in the category of "who I'd like to meet" I say "The Ron Stoppable to my Kim Possible." I mean, COME ON! Who WOULDN'T want to use their mad cheerleading skills to save the world??? And Ron is my kind of hottie! A total goof, AND a completely loyal friend - with just that touch of sweetness. Sigh. Yum. But I've always been a sucker for the Geek Factor (the ones with a sense of humor and that edge of cool, though). I have been ever since Anthony Michael Hall in the 80's. It's my own personal Catch-22... do I love geeks because of AMH, or do I love AMH because I prefer geeks???

Oi, did I get sidetracked or what??? Heh-heh. Sorry.

message 33: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Suki did DNAmy's voice on Kim Possible as well! LOL

message 34: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Michel was a great character. He was to the Gilmore Girls as "Amanda" is to Ugly Betty (funny/mean). They get all the best lines.

Michele, I'm throwing a little Anthony Michael Hall dialogue your way (Sixteen Candles)...hope it makes you day, seeing as how you like the geeks.

Samantha: This is Farmer Fred.
The Geek: Ted.
Samantha: Oh, I'm sorry, Farmer Ted.
The Geek: I'm not really a farmer. I'm a freshman.

and...

Relax, would you? We have seventy dollars and a pair of girls underpants. We're safe as kittens.

message 35: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Alison - ROCK ON!!! Thanks for this! I cracked up! I saw the TV version of this recently while I was working around the house. Sigh. Forget Jake Ryan, give me Farmer Fred - I mean Ted! LOL Any guy who is smart and keeps me laughing has got a serious lead in the race for my heart. SERIOUS.

Beside, Jake was cute, yes, and popular, but hey... today that actor is a cabinet maker/furniture maker and I get to see the scrumptious (and apparently now more popular) Ted on cable TV. Hee!

but the underpants line rocks!

message 36: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Did anyone else watch last night's Heroes? Man, that Jess, er, Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) is getting hotter and hotter! Yowza!!! Never really thought he was all that in looks until this season, and he just gets better and better!

I have to say this is the first episode that really drew me in again like last season. Up until now in this second season it hasn't much impressed me. I'm hoping this means it's picking up.

I also finally watched Samantha Who? with Sookie (Melissa McCarthy). She wasn't much in it, but it seemed pretty cute. I really loved Sookie, so this new character has a lot to live up to.

Did you know that there is at least one fan site just for Sookie? On it I found out that originally the chick that played Drella the harpist in Season 1 and Miss Celine in Season 5 was supposed to play Sookie. Now that's just creepy. Also Drella/Miss Celine is married to Jackson in real life. Can you imagine?

message 37: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK, first of all, I had no idea that Drella and Miss Celine were played by the same person! That is crazy good acting there! But it bugs me when shows use the same person in more than one role, because MOST of the time people notice. Like how the woman who played Anna (April's mom) was also the blond woman in CA when Jess went to find his dad (the one with all the dogs).

And, yeah, I had actually heard that Melissa McCarthy is considered a sex symbol!

And as for Heroes... the scene with Milo getting hosed down by the decontamination crew was uber hot, and like you, I never thought he was that great until this season. And with that huge bandage obscuring half of my beloved Mohinder's face, it was nice to have some eye candy (since my husband got to drool over half-naked Ali Larter all last season). But plot-wise, I agree with you. This season hasn't been as gripping as last season. I wish they'd do more with the paintings because that gave last season such a sense of urgency. And did you notice that three or four of the paintings were fulfilled last night?

I read that the cast has gone back and shot an alternate ending to the December 3 episode that will be used if the writer's strike is not resolved. Originally, that episode was going to end the current "generations" story arc, but if the strike doesn't end, it'll be a season finale instead.

message 38: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

I have been trying to get through Season 1 of Heroes with my husband, but I think I'm about to throw in the towel. I think we're up to episode 7. I can understand the pressure of writing a story that needs to be suspended indefinetely, but sometimes, it feels like the story is not moving forward at all. It feels like another hour of set-up, or just same stuff, different week. I think the characters are great and brilliantly represented. I just think the story is lacking in depth. Haven't decided yet if I'll continue.

message 39: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments I agree with the frustration on the same actors playing different roles on the same shows. Like the Law & Order franchise! on SVU, Stabler's wife was played by an actress that was a druggie punk and killed a cop for her necklace and was sentenced to death on regular L&O, and of course they cross over sometimes! Ugh.

I have to say, I was a bit at odds with the beginning of this season of Heroes too, feeling a loss of direction with the story, but I do think that after the ending of last night's episode, with the appearance of Adam, that it could be going in quite a fascinating direction! I was worried that the Sylar plot wasn't going to be enough. And yes, I do agree with you as well Alison, that it can at times seem a bit shallow plot wise, but I would encourage you to stick with it. I really think it is worth the time. There is so many opportunities in this series!

message 40: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Meghan I agree too with the multiple roles in the same series (I was thinking of the same show Erica. L&O is infamous for it!). But I rarely find it distracting to the storyline. I mean Kirk's original appearance in the pilot was not as Kirk! (Remember the swan guy for the wedding?) But thank goodness they made that change!

And speaking of L&O, Paris has made two appearances on that show (I think one was on a spin off though). She still plays "Paris" but on a more "street" level and less ivy-league. heh I kind of miss her.

message 41: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, Kirk was first "Mick" the DSL-installing guy, then he was the "swan guy" and then he was finally Kirk but at first it was like he was new to Stars Hollow. Remember when he got in trouble for telling Miss Patty not to sample the fruit at Doosey's before she bought it? It was like he didn't know anyone. Then, later in the series, they said that Kirk had lived in town all his life and even (I think) taken a class from Miss Patty when he was little!

message 42: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Yeah, what is "Paris" doing these days? As for the Kirk/Mick character, I always thought it was pretty much the same character, I always thought they just changed his name and tweaked his history. I never really saw them as 2 different characters. Maybe I am nuts!

As for L&O, I have just gotten into Criminal Intent, and I am really glad they have brought Chris Noth on, cause, I mean, YUMMY. And for a minute I was afraid they had introduced him as a new character, but then I caught up and realized he is the same Logan from the original. At least they did that right!

And yes, Sarah, Kirk took classes from Miss Patty, I think that is from that episode where it is the annual recital and he did his mime performance simulating birth, which was a performance they said he originally did when he was young in her class. Gross. LOL

message 43: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think you're right, Erica, that they just changed Kirk's name and back story a little. One of my favorite things about Kirk is how he has every job in Stars Hollow. Any store the girls go to, Kirk is there. I think the only places he's never worked was at Luke's and the Independence Inn (although he tried to work at the Dragonfly).

Ooh... can we pretty please start a thread all about our favorite Kirk moments? I loves him.

message 44: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Ok, well I wouldn't say it was my FAVORITE Kirk moment, but I think my most shocking was the steam room scene where he and Luke had to meet the group of men that decided who could buy the Thwickam (sp?) house. More than I ever needed to see!

FYI, the actor that plays Kirk also played a demon on Angel, the same kind of Demon Doyle was. Can't remember the name now. ALSO, in keeping with our theme of actors playing different characters on the same show, he played some new age guy at a resort out in the desert that was guarding the women from the other planet who overheated...fun to see these things!

message 45: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Meghan was right in that L&O is notorious for reusing actors in its various versions. But Erica, while I have nothing against Noth or his character per se, I LO-HU-HU-VE D'Onofrio's character. Plus he is one amazing actor. It's too bad he collapsed those times from exhaustion - too bad for me, but good for you as that is why they brought on Noth!

As to Heroes, I'm sad that yet again the actor playing Adam is going to be bad... just like in Alias. He's just so DISHY!!! Sarah, Mohinder did look tough with his bandaged nose, though...

What is it with your Kirk obsession, Sarah? It's hysterical! The re-birthing thing was the funniest ever. Regarding his work experience, he had a business in competition with Luke's, if you recall. When he was homeless was pretty funny... ending up naked in the RV. Classic.

Maybe I'm not as into him because I just relate to Kirk more than I'd like... having had a plethora of diverse jobs and being, well, a bit of a goof myself. I'd much rather be a Lorelai or a Rory but confess to a healthy dose of Kirk in me.

message 46: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) As for David Anders... YUMMY TIMES A MILLION. I loved him as Sark on Alias, and I love him on Heroes. So my guess is, he's Kensei, and he's immortal, which makes me wonder if Clare is immortal too. I think it's so funny that he's from Oregon and he always plays these British characters. He does the accent so well.

message 47: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Ah yes, Kirk is pretty freaking hilarious! He brought some wonderful comic moments. I loved when he and Lulu were fighting over the ribbons after Luke and Lorelai got back together the first time! I think that might be my favorite moment.

Oh and I love D'Onofrio's character, it is a shame that he can't handle doing as many shows, but he is still around, so it isn't like we traded, now we just get both! I can only imagine how hard it is to play such a nuanced character as Goren! D'Onofrio really isn't appreciated as an actor quite as much as he should be for that role! Should we start a L&O Group? LOL

message 48: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Or a hot actors group? Hee!

Being that I'm only now seeing Alias (I lived out of the country for the thrust of it), I am drooling over David Anders regularly! Agreed, Yummy times a million!

Can you believe him and languages, though. I don't know, but he seemed to be speaking Japanese really well on Heroes. In Alias, when Sidney or Vaughn spoke in other languages I generally felt their accents were pretty bad, but Sark's languages were great - some of them I know and was really impressed with. I don't know how fond of him I'd be without his British accent, though! I'm a sucker for them!

message 49: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

To the boys of this group... sorry. But I'd be willing to discuss hot actresses, too. LOL

message 50: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I would hope that Michael Vartan's French accent would be good, considering he grew up in France.

But maybe David Anders just has an ear for languages.

« previous 1 3