Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2)
This topic is about Something Wicked This Way Comes
Something Wicked ... Discussions > Final Reactions Something wicked (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
For those of you who have read the book... what did you think?

Amber | 34 comments I wanted so bad to love this but it just didn't click. I think I may have enjoyed it if I had read it as an adolescent, and the story reminded me of the old Choose Your Own Adventure plots, but I wasn't able to connect with the author in this one. I give this book zero stars.

Sandi (sandikal) I re-read it recently for another book group. I had read it in junior high when I was on a Ray Bradbury kick. I still liked it, just in a different way. When I was young, I just noticed the boys and the creepy carnival. As a middle-aged adult with a teen son, I really focused on the father and how his character developed. I hadn't even noticed him the first time around.

I also think the illustrated man is one of the creepiest characters in fiction.

message 4: by Marie (last edited Oct 15, 2008 11:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie (librarydaisygmailcom) I liked it, but didn't Love it. I can't believe how long it took me to get through it, and usually I am a quick reader. Good book, but not a great book. Wow, I feel guilty saying that.

message 5: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. Purtill Agree with Sandi - as a kid, the carnival was the creepiest thing ever but now as an adult, I notice the father much more, and identify with him, so I felt more melancholy than scared this time.

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments I had a hard time with this one. I loved the writing style but not with the story.

The father was my favorite character. I also loved seeing him develop. My heart broke for him as he tried to figure out how to have a relationship with his son. He just seemed so lost in life.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Oct 27, 2008 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

It also took me a while to get through the book. Somethings I was confused, for example why did Mr. Cooger go to Miss Foley's house as her nephew? Was it to get her to the carnival? But why her? Then at the end how did Jim go back to being young? By the dad and Will laughing? I thought that was just to bring him back to life and it never really mentioned if Jim was young again or not.

I really did enjoy the idea of the book. The evil carnival coming to town, and even Stephen King used this idea in one of his book after reading this book. I do think the Illustrated Man was a very scary character. Still I would've liked more background on the carnival instead of the rhymes about it. I think the dad was trying to explain it when they were in the library with all the books he had laid out but it still wasn't enough background just riddles. Which I guess adds to the mystery of the carnival.

Also, I don't know about this being YA. It read adult to me.

message 8: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. Purtill Angie, Cooger goes to Miss Foley's house as her nephew to lure her to the carnival, just as he uses other ways to lure the boys and others in. Miss Foley succumbs to his manipulation to be young again because of her vanity. Indeed, much of the book is about people's fears - aging, loneliness, etc.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

What happens to her real nephew? Or was there ever a real one?

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments And why her? Why did he single out Miss Foley? It seems like he went to more effort to target her....maybe I missed something but I didn't get that.

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yea I am not sure either, unless she was a good example of one of the themes of the book which I think was wanting to be younger or older than you are. People aren't happy with where they are in life.

Sandi (sandikal) There never was a real nephew. Cooger had the ability to manipulate people's minds. He knew that Miss Foley longed to be young again because the mirror maze showed that being young was her deepest desire.

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth (bethwerling) I listened to this as a book on CD and I think I liked it better listening to it than I would have actually reading it, as the narrator was spooky and entertaining.

Stephanie I have read this book twice and one of my book groups is currently discussing it. I agree that this book reads more as adult fiction, but some teens might appreciate it.

When I first studied it in 7th grade honors English (we had a fantastic teacher and program at my school!) we discussed quite a bit about good vs. evil which is really what this book is about. We talked at length about the two best friends - Nightshade and Halloway, one light, one dark. Even their last names show that (hallowed by thy name). Mr. Cooger, I think, is one of the most disturbing characters in fiction. His carnival, and his maze of mirrors that show true desire, allow him to manipulate anyone he meets. His standoff with Halloway's father is another example of the good vs evil.

My sister and I watched the movie again this summer (we are both in our late 20s) and it didn't scare us like it did when we were kids, although we did talk about how it would be neat if a small indie company picked it up and redid it, keeping it very artsy and dark.

I love that Bradbury pulled the title from Macbeth.

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I still wish I would've seen the movie as a child. I know I would've been freaked out!