12 Step & Recovery Friends discussion

What "non-recovery" book most influenced your recovery?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabrielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Gabrielle | 1 comments Mod
Those of us in recovery depend on the Big Book, the 12& 12, etc. Just curious to know what other books helped.. were there any that helped a certain step click? Or that helped influence your "spiritual awakening"?

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Herpin | 2 comments Big influences on my recovery were The Bible, the Tao De Jing, and Wayne Dyer Books.

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Herpin | 2 comments The Road Less Traveled had a big influence on my recovery.

message 4: by Korie (new)

Korie Brown (drbrown) | 1 comments I read a number of spiritual books, mostly in the yoga and Buddhist area, as well as my Program texts. I like Cheri Huber. Currently, I'm reading "The Chocolate Cake Sutra."

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferStorm) | 3 comments Melody Beattie has always made me think deeper about my spiritual development and path in recovery. Living Buddha Living Christ changed my recovery and Marianne Williamson's A Return to Love---is like my recovery bible!!!!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindyLouYoung) | 5 comments The Precious Present --- this book really drives home the message of "one day at a time".

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindyLouYoung) | 5 comments fyi for all,

My new book "Out of the Fog" carries the AA message from my own personal walk in life.

Since writing the book, it is amazing how many people that have experienced alcoholism in their family have reached out after reading the story.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferStorm) | 3 comments I recently wrote a recovery memoir as well; Blackout Girl: Growing Up and Drying Out in America. Hazelden Publishing just published it in Feb of this year. It is my personal story with addiction and my recovery.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (CindyLouYoung) | 5 comments I marked that one as a "to read" --- I will pick it up the next time I put a book order in. Does Amazon have it?

message 10: by Charlie (last edited Nov 25, 2008 04:25PM) (new)

Charlie | 1 comments I was handed A Course In Miracles at The Meadows (rehab) in 1989. I began reading it seriously in 2004, the same year I actually took the advice given to me at the Meadows and began seeking recovery (on my own volition.) I want to mention this book as an advocate of the book without sounding too emphatic about it but, that will be difficult. These thoughts are relevant to the Great-What-Have-You of MY understanding. I want to share these thoughts for better of for worse.

The Course is more important to me than the Big Book or the Basic Text (as in NA). The Course actually gave me some sense of permission to enter into the fellowship of the "Great Agnostic Church of America" as I nicknamed 12 steppin long ago. I find more in common between this non-religious Christ-ed text and the 12 step approach to life and recovery than I find in difference. I hope I'm not being a bore but I found your group through I.E. just a moment ago as I am interested in the books and ideas of people who have read the Course or who are reading it now. I am not in AA any longer but in NA so feel free to ostracize me out of this chat room for being a junkie heretic (or whatever AA'ers say about us, I try to stay out of that senseless gossipy confliction of programs; where would NA be without the Grandfather Program but, how is AA full of "more recovery"?)

I am supported in my recovery and given a respite from the sophmoric literature of both 12 step fellowships by this book which has changed my life through the application of its principles in all of my affairs. The sponsors who have had the biggest influence upon me (my current one and the one from my home state of NM) speak as if they study the Course and quite naturally they have not. I trust it. I lost faith in religion long before I lost faith in God. In NA we read in our opening readings, that this is a "spiritual, not religious, progam". Such is the Course, in fact, there is a passage in there about the futility of joining any religion. I believe in the AA lexicon there is the Chapter "We Agnostics". So long and thanx for any feedback, further reading suggestions and, for your recovery. It is always OUR recovery after all.
Charlie
Boulder, CO

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 30, 2008 06:21AM) (new)

Jennifer (JenniferStorm) | 3 comments Cindy....Yes Amazon has it as well as all maintream and indy book sellers!!

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (huggable) Because the 12 step programs are based on universal principles I find something that touches me in almost every book. At the beginning of the school year I read Touching Spirit Bear which really made me pause and think about how to improve my spiritual life.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Life of Pi

Patel gives 2 stories and asks us to beleive the one that suits us. That is the essence of the 2dn, 3rd, 11th steps.

message 14: by Lane (new)

Lane Willson (lanewillson) Darkness Visible by William Styron. I had pretty significant depression my first couple of years sober, and this helped me hold and keep going.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen Smith I still pursue feeling good just in healthy ways now. I love Echart Tolle, Joe Vitale, and I recently read 'Spontaneous Happiness'. This one had a lot of practical information about feeling good backed by scientific evidence.

message 16: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Beck (meryl_hershey_beck) | 1 comments Books by John Bradshaw (about inner child work)
Robert Subby's Lost in the Shuffle
Melody Beattie's book on Codependency
Bob Earll's I Got Tired of Pretending

The book I wrote quotes these and lots of other books...it is my story: former binge eater turned psychotherapist shares tools of recovery (which began with the 12 step groups). I love the 12 steps--they changed my life! Oh, my book is Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating. I tell my personal story of living in the hell of binge eating disorder, finding recovery thru 12 step groups, and then becoming a counselor to work with others.

message 17: by April (new)

April Forker | 1 comments Pretty much any Hazelden book is awesome. I use 24 Hours a Day and Language of Letting Go as some of my daily reflections. Josh Hamilton's book was one of my favorites also.

message 18: by L. (new)

L. Lowen Probably The Zen of Happiness by Chris Prentis or Eckhardt Tolle A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

message 19: by Ted (new)

Ted Guglielmo (teddygoogs) | 2 comments Recently Brave Fish by Vincent Chough and Emerging Spirituality by Ricky Maye. Both were amazing.

As Bill sees it has always helped me when I need it quick.

message 20: by Lane (new)

Lane Willson (lanewillson) I just finished Eric Clapton's autobiography, which while not technically a recovery book sure has a lot of recovery in it.

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Senderoff (senderoff) | 1 comments The Alchemist

message 22: by Char (new)

Char | 1 comments Wally P's Book - How to Listen to God? which is non conference approved but based on the early format of AA's pioneers before their were sponsors.

Wally P took the steps in Dr. Bob's living room along with 8 other people.

I was at a teleconference yesterday given by the Sedona BDA group where he explained some of the history of the original development.

I've never been a history buff but this was absolutely fascinating to me.

It's available on Amazon.

message 23: by Ted (new)

Ted Guglielmo (teddygoogs) | 2 comments Been sober a while but recently read "emerging Spirituality" by Ricky Maye. Great stuff.

message 24: by Lane (new)

Lane Willson (lanewillson) I'm re-reading "Driven to Distraction" which has been the foundation of much of what we know about ADD & ADHD. It has played a large role in my self understanding and recovery.

message 25: by L. (new)

L. Lowen Woman Who Love To Much by Robin Norwood
Zen and the Art of Happiness by Chris Prentiss
AND the best...
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

message 26: by L. (new)

L. Lowen Charlie wrote: "I was handed A Course In Miracles at The Meadows (rehab) in 1989. I began reading it seriously in 2004, the same year I actually took the advice given to me at the Meadows and began seeking recover..."

I find your experience with The Course to be enlightening and positive. I was slowly reading on the course by was turned away when I read that the original writer felt like she was a channel- or medium. The metaphysical extremity of this turned me away from really practicing the course.

message 27: by L. (new)

L. Lowen Jen wrote: "I still pursue feeling good just in healthy ways now. I love Echart Tolle, Joe Vitale, and I recently read 'Spontaneous Happiness'. This one had a lot of practical information about feeling good ..."

Tolle helped me out of a deep depressive bottom. He doesn't quite do it for me now, but at that time, he really saved my life.

message 28: by Dharmamitra Jeff (last edited Feb 07, 2013 02:22PM) (new)

Dharmamitra Jeff Stefani (DharmamitraJeff) | 2 comments The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu are by far the most influential books on my Spiritual Evolution.
Guide To The Buddhist Path by Sangharakshita
The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyumbomiyrski
The Jewel of Liberation and Awakening is Real by Jack Kornfield
oh, The Four Agreements and The Mastery of Love by don Miguel Ruiz
are all CLASSICS, Must-Reads
Although as many have said "A Course in Miracles and Return to Love by Marian Williamson and I think Wayne Dyer's best was A Spiritual Solution to Every Problem, but as others have said, The Course and Wayne and Marianne were more steeping stones to the Buddha Dharma. I was really into them 20+ years ago, but the lack of path and community were what always kept the New Age/Pop Spirituality from taking roots.
Eckhart Tolle is in a class beyond the aforementioned Pop-Spiritualists. (BTW "Pop-Spiritualists" is just the term that came to mind (and it's apropos, I think.) But that is in No Way a way or attempt to belittle their value or Spiritual Maturity/Level of Spiritual Evolution. I mention why I do not find MOST of those useful books to be Ultimately Satisfying, and that is due to lack of a Supporting Spiritual Community and Clear-Cut Instructions on HOW to attain the Wisdom that they share. Unlike Buddhism, for example, which has the Fundemental Foundation of The 3-Jewels: Buddha (is the ideal to which we strive), Dharma (is the Clear-cut, Precise Instructions on How to become a Buddha) and Sangha (The Spiritual Community. The MahaSangha comprised of All those that Follow the Buddhist Path, & the AryaSangha comprises those that have Attained a Precise Point of Spiritual Evolution, aka Stream-Winning/Stream-Entrant/Breaking the first 3 Fetters, aka Bodhisattvahood, which is VERY real and Absolutely Attainable, and rather empirical in the way one can access one's actual Spiritual Evolution.) These are Essential for Any Spiritual Path, in my Experience.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Garces (amandapleasee) | 1 comments perks of wallflower really helped me, I identified with the main character Charlie and has a positive message towards getting better and receiving help.

message 30: by David (new)

David Groves I published a thriller with a recovery theme that may be helpful. It addresses the problem of feeling alone in the world. "What Happens to Us."

message 31: by Joe (last edited Mar 27, 2014 08:40AM) (new)

Joe (rebelliondogjoe) | 8 comments Several of Gabor Mate's books, Patrick Carnes has written some good ones, Waiting by Marya Hornbacher and THe Little Book by Roger C.
http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-A-Nonbe...
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Col...

message 32: by Lane (new)

Lane Willson (lanewillson) The World's Strongest Librarian: A Memoir of Tourette's, Faith, Strength, and the Power of Family- Sometimes seeing what recovery looks like when it's focus is something other than addiction is incredibly powerful. Josh's recovery story is just that.

message 33: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Bye | 1 comments Women Who Love Too Much - for relationships and Lawrence Block Matt Scudder books - for when you want to read a good detective book but appreciate an under pinning of recovery (well the later books ....)

message 34: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Nolan | 2 comments Reading any novel helps my recovery for several reasons:
1) I regenerate lost brain cells :)
2) I exercise my brain (see #1)
3) I get to leave reality for a time in a healthy way; I call this "meditation."
4) I get to feel good about myself because I've accomplished something positive.
5) I get to feel superior to all the TV addicts who are losing brain cells and only learn whats on the tube. :)

message 35: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Nolan | 2 comments In terms of recovery books, I highly recommend Joe C's Beyond Belief book of daily musings. Available on Amazon and from Rebellion Dogs Publishing in Toronto.

message 36: by Constance (new)

Constance | 5 comments There have been many suggestions from these comments and I commend Goodreads for having this style of feedback.
The first book that spoke to me & my addiction is Drinking, a Love Story by Caroline Knapp. My Name is Bill by Susan Cheever. Actually anything by Susan Cheever is helpful for any one who struggles with any type of addiction. And a very unlikely author Mike Tyson wrote Undisputed Truth. His book is very raw and I came away with a whole new respect for him.

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele Miller (michelewmiller) | 1 comments I love all "group conscience" literature. All of the fellowships have amazing things to say about recovery and steps. I love so much of the 12 & 12; Alanon; OA 7th Step discussion of humility is fantastic; and the new NA book, "Living Clean: The Journey Continues" is a treasure trove of wisdom regarding long-term recovery. I always prefer fellowship literature to "expert" advice.

That said, my novel, "The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery" has reportedly inspired many people. It addresses the question we all ask ourselves from time to time: Could we live life as a loose garment in a zombie apocalypse? But, really, it is a fun read that's steeped in recovery. Please check it out.

message 38: by Scott (new)

Scott Stevens (scott_stevens) | 1 comments Man's Search For Meaning, Viktor Frankl. Priceless wisdom.

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Townsend-Lyon (authorcatherine-townsend_lyon) | 8 comments Scott wrote: "Man's Search For Meaning, Viktor Frankl. Priceless wisdom."

Gabrielle wrote: "Those of us in recovery depend on the Big Book, the 12& 12, etc. Just curious to know what other books helped.. were there any that helped a certain step click? Or that helped influence your "spiri..."

message 40: by Catherine (last edited Feb 22, 2014 04:19PM) (new)

Catherine Townsend-Lyon (authorcatherine-townsend_lyon) | 8 comments I don't want to sound "Vain" here, but my own book of my life with Alcohol and Addicted gambling, childhood abuse, sex & physical, living with Bipolar and PTSD, and now 7 years in recovery. There are not to many books about addicted gambling that show insights as to how the addiction started, progressed, and the consequences of the choice's made when addicted.

Most only share "Gambling War Stories" or they are only about "Facts & Statistics"....I have received great reviews so far, and all 5 star, which blows me away, but I want others to see the "Dark Side" of a form of fun entertainment that can turn Deadly for some, and Raise Awareness.

Of course writing my book "TRULY" was a "Spiritual & Healing Journey" for me. I also did NOT want to hide behind "Anonymous," so I published in my own name to continue to take "Ownership and Accountability" for my actions, and those who I'd hurt. My life is an open book for all the world to read,.....but that's OK as long as it HELPS OTHERS find help & recovery!

Author, Catherine Townsend-Lyon

message 41: by Constance (new)

Constance | 5 comments What is the name of your book?

message 42: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Townsend-Lyon (authorcatherine-townsend_lyon) | 8 comments It's called Addicted To Dimes, (Confessions of a liar and a Cheat)it's available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984478485 in e-book or paperback. And also on Barnes & Noble as paperback only. *Cat*

message 43: by Chesta (new)

Chesta Sr. | 1 comments i woild like to talkc with u and get that book 215 327 8018

message 44: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments Illusions, Richard Bach!! Quick read and profound message…in fact, I reread it every few years.
Dawn
www.docdawn.com