The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > November book suggestions

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Many in the group have said having a classic and a contemporary from the list was great, so start listing your suggestions here. As with last month, we will then vote on them in another thread.

I wanted to add that all suggestions should be in by the night of the 21nd.

This then gives us time to vote and select by the 24th. That way we have a few days before the month starts to purchase the books if need be.

message 2: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Meghan I was reviewing the 1st book suggestions and well, I don't really care what gets picked. I'm game for anything.

But I would like to request that if we do eventually read Reading Lolita in Tehran, could we please read one of the many classics referred to in the book? I think it will help the appreciation for both stories. But I highly recommend Reading Lolita as a book club book. It's amazing and beautiful and considering the conditions in which they had to meet, we are so blessed to live in a country like this. But I'm not requesting this for our next book. Just a someday down the road sort of suggestion.

message 3: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Tiffany Here are my suggestions. I tried to mix in some newer books with the classics.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Great Gatsby
A Tale of Two Cities
Vanity Fair
Bee Season
Franny and Zooey
Moby Dick

I'm open to just about anything though. =)

message 4: by Brooke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Brooke I'm 'voting' for The Time Traveler's Wife & Franny and Zooey.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think it worked this month to do a classic and contemporary, because Jekyll & Hyde was so short. But if we do, say Moby Dick, I don't think we should add a second book to that.

My suggestions:
Moby Dick
The Time Traveler's Wife
Life of Pi
The Fountainhead
The Thin Man
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Anna Karenina

But I'm open to almost anything (there are only a couple on Rory's list that I have no interest in).

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
A Tale of Two Cities
Bee Season
Moby Dick
The Fountainhead
The Thin Man
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Frankenstein
Middlesex
Bel Canto

message 7: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments Anna Karenina
The Bell Jar
Night
Middlesex

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Meghan Oooh...Stiff is a GREAT great book. And it would be fun to talk about (although if you get nauseated easily, you may want to avoid this book). I'm trying to think of a good classic that would go with it. Maybe Frankenstein? Or Poe. I don't know. Stiff is non-fiction about cadavers. Maybe something on Jack the Ripper? He's mentioned in Stiff I think.

Balzac is a great discussion book too. It's pretty short so it would be easy to pair it up with a classic. But it's really interesting to learn more about the Cultural Revolution in China. I still have a hard time believing that happened only 50 years ago.

Life of Pi is just a great discussion book too. That one would be fun to pair up with maybe Anderson fairie tales (the originals not the disney-fied versions).

Anna Karenina is really long. I'm not sure a month is enough time for everyone to get through it. We may want to extend it a go 6 weeks? Just a thought.

I know, not really voting. Just some thoughts. I personally like all the books mentioned on this list. You all are great and inspiring.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK, but maybe we should pick one that no one's already read. Is that possible, I wonder?

message 10: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

My nominations:

How to Breathe Underwater
Pygmalion
Siddhartha
Slaughterhouse Five
The Code of the Woosters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Count of Monte Cristo

If 41 of us actually participate, I don't see how we could nominate a book that no one has read... but maybe we could do it with those who seem to be active. It'd be tough with readers like us, though!

message 11: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

I just tallied it and we have 29 nominations so far!

I think it's great we have so many ideas! What I'm thinking for voting is that on the 23rd I'll list all the nominations and we will each put down our top ten in order... then I can tally it up and whichever book has the most &/or highest votes will be our nominee.

Should we do that and then pair the second book, or should we have separate voting for modern and classics? The reason I thought the first way is that we don't want two really long books together. (This month's books worked because one was so much shorter than the other.) But I'm up for whatever you all think.

Also, remember we have a big holiday this month so time might be a factor. Just something to consider when voting!

message 12: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Meghan If we're doing 2 books at a time, I don't think it will matter if you've read one of the two picked. If I hadn't read Wicked already, I would not have been able to participate because I just didn't have time to finish either. This at least let me talk (although, not sure if that's a good thing. heh) Plus, some books are just that good they're worth re-reading.

Secondly, I think we should see what is chosen as the 1st book before selecting a 2nd. Again, if Anna Karinina or Moby Dick get chosen, you're not going to want a 600-page contemporary book to go along with that (just for time considerations).

But also have a thought. IF a long book is selected (say a contemporary) and it's determined that there's not enough time to read 2, why don't we then decide to read a longer classic the next month. We'll still be meeting the desire to read both contemporary and classic but not trying to over-extend ourselves. The next couple of months may be pretty busy months for a lot of families, so maybe trying to fit in 2 books is a lot? We can then pick 2 books again after the new year. For those of you who can read much more, you still will have a book to discuss with the group, but can then do your own reading if you've finished early.

message 13: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments If we are doing 2 a month, I like the suggestion of 1 that begins on the 15th of the month and one that begins on the 30th of the month. This way it would break the pressure of having to have two books completed around the same time to participate. I also like teh suggestion of maybe choosing the next 2 months worth in advance so that people have ample time to get copies of the books. This would also encourage those who have maybe already read another month's suggestions to be able to go ahead and begin on the future month's suggestions. We are at a busy time of year so manye until after the new year we only choose one book for November and one for December. Unless the second book is a very short read.

Just throwing that out there...

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think that's a great suggestion, Meghan.

Michele - it's probably possible to pick a book based on the active members. I've only read one on your list, for example!

message 15: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Remember, if we pick two books, you can choose to read one, the other, or both. If you've already read one, chances are you haven't read the other.

I say we select the first one, then pair a similar classic to go with it. Just my thoughts.

message 16: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Well, like I said before, consider the time constraints for the activities and holidays this month when voting... I mean Moby Dick? Okay, I'm bias against that to start with and absolutely refuse to read it during my favorite month in my favorite season (it'd be torture at any time for me!) but even for those of you really excited to read it, it is crazy long and not light reading.

That's why my suggestions were totally different this month from last... well, that's my personality, too, but still... thinking about the season, what I'm up for, etc. Plus many of them are quite short, so two would be doable.

Alison - I thought it hysterical that you thought we'd for sure pick a modern and have to pair the classic! I knew what you meant, but it made me laugh!

Anyway, most of you echoed exactly what I initially thought: that we should vote on one and select another to go along with it in the opposing genre and with consideration of length. (With the stipulation that if the initial book is insanely long that we will stick to one.) Just like Alison said - for those that can only do one book... should we choose two... choose the one you like and go for it!

As for picking a book that none of the active members have read, I'm all for it... but some of the others of you need to voice your opinion. What if that means the book you most want to read is off of the list? Is that alright in order to better discussion and include everyone who wants to be actively involved? What's your take?

message 17: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

P.S. I'm not the boss here. Do I sound bossy?

message 18: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Meghan Yes.

(hahahaha...I kid.) No. You don't sound bossy. I think it's great that you took the initiative this month to get things going. Thanks!

And yeah, I was thinking about that. If we're going to go off the official Rory Gilmore Book Club list (for now. There's only 120 books on it.) We're not going to be able to NOT read books that someone hasn't already read. Mainly because I've read about half of them. But I don't have a problem with that. I'm in this because I love talking about books and a lot of the ones I've already read, I haven't had anyone to talk about them with and some are so good, they need to be discussed!

But I was wondering if we were going to branch out and go beyond the "official" list? I think we've established that this club isn't going to do frou frou books. (That's not to say we won't read fun and lighter books, but I'm guessing no Danielle Steele or Tom Clancy--although nothing against those books. Just not sure that fits a Rory Gilmore kind of reader.) But I don't know how strict we want to go with the list? 120 books, even doing 2 at a time per month, still means we have 60 months or 5 years to get through the list, so it's not like we will be hurting for books any time soon. But I was wondering if there was a book OFF the list that would be better paired with the 1st choice, if that is something this group would consider. (I have no example to give. Oh wait. Like if we chose Pride & Prejudice--I don't know if that's on the list, just using it as an example--but there are several contemporary books based either on the story...like Mr. Darcy's daughter or on the writer...Jane Austen's Book Club comes to mind.)

Anyway, just a thought.

message 19: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I don't see a problem going off the list either because there are a ton of great books out there that didn't make the list. I agree that this is not the place for those frou frou books either. I definitely read those books, but they are not really discussion type books. I like the idea of pairing books with something that goes along with the story or is similar is some way. Having that comparison is nice.

I don't think anyone is being bossy. I am new here and just throwing my two cents into the ring to. I think we just need to goi ahead and get a book chosen, look at the book that was chosen and go from there. There are just to many what-ifs.

Plus we for sure need to consider the busy time of year that is upon and make selections wisely. Would there be a problem with choosing a novel and then maybe a short story. I teach high school English and there are a great many wonderful short stories out there that can pair up easily with great literature. I know it's not technically a book, but lots of those works can be found online. Just an idea that I am tossing out there.

message 20: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Short stories are harder for the Average Joe (or Jane) to find. Nothing against the idea, but I'd not want to buy a collection or anthology just for that story. There are some good ones out there, though!

That reminds me, what's the name of the one (short story) that takes place like in a crypt or catacombs or something? I think Count might be in the title because I always think of it when I see the title "The Count of Monte Cristo," which of course is not it. As a high school English teacher, Tiffany, you should know this! Specifically at this time of year! (It was pretty creep if I remember right.) Anyway, it's been bugging me for a while. Thanks to any and all that can help.

Oh, and as for the reading what's not been read before... the cool part about it is that it'd be new and fresh to everyone at the same time. And, if we were going to try it, now would be the best time because there aren't as many participating and we have the entire list to work with... Make sense? Might be fun to do once, and it'd be easy.

As for voting, etc., should I move up the timetable? Seems everyone wants to know right away (including me). I could cut off the nominations on the 21st (tomorrow) and then move up the voting deadline as well... If we were going to select books that no one participating has read, then moving things up might help because I'd need a day for you all to let me know what needs to be removed from the list before the voting begins. It's easy to do, but I'd need time to let everyone participating respond.

Let me know! And Meghan, thanks for the props. I'm happy to help out while I can... my life allows for it right now. I totally get when it spirals into fast forward and doesn't. Props to Shannon for STARTING this club!!! I'm lovin' it!

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) While I agree that I don't think this group wants to just read frou frou books, if we're comparing a contemporary with a classic, sometimes a frou frou book would be a fun comparison. Like how Bridget Jones' Diary is based on Pride & Prejudice. It might be fun to compare Daniel Cleaver to Wickham and so forth. With as much trash TV and movies as the Gilmore Girls watched, I can guarantee that Rory had some guilty pleasure books mixed in with her Dead Souls.

Yes, let's move up the deadline! I'm almost done with my current book and this would be the perfect time to start a new one! LOL

message 22: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tiffany I just want to say that I appreciate how ambitious everyone is about getting things organized. I am definitely a Go With The Flow kinda girl, so I'm glad there are other people willing to take the reins a little bit and run with it. I think we have a great group here!

Personally I liked choosing two books because of the compare and contrast angle, that was fun. Also, if someone has already read one there's the other one to read. I had already read Wicked and while I still got to discuss it I also got to read something new. So I think that works out well.

message 23: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I agree that some short stories are hard to find and I agree that I wouldn't want to buy a whole book. I just know I find tons of complete texts on the internet these days. Just an idea.

Whichway, I think you are thinking of The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe. The narrator gets revenge on an old enemy by burying him alive (by bricking him into a wall) in some catacombs. I haven't read it in years, but I knew exactly which one you were thinking of. It is in my sophomore English class' book. I may need to go reread that. My personal Poe favorite is of course The Tell-Tale Heart. It is just so creepy.

I agree with going ahead and voting earlier because I am anxious to get started too!

message 24: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! That's totally it. I read The Cast of Amontillado several times in my early years for various classes. I still remember how I felt when I read it! Fantastic! I'm going to have to dig up my copy! Thanks again, Tiffany!!!

Okay... so nominating closes Sunday night. I'll update the first post so that any other members will see it if they open this thread. Cheers!

message 25: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! That's totally it. I read The Cast of Amontillado several times in my early years for various classes. I still remember how I felt when I read it! Fantastic! I'm going to have to dig up my copy! Thanks again, Tiffany!!!

Okay... so nominating closes Sunday night. I'll update the first post so that any other members will see it if they open this thread. Cheers!

message 26: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Meghan Ok, I know voting closed on the 21st, so if you're already tallying the votes, forget it. (It's 12:09 am so technically we're on to the 22nd)...but I vote for Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Mainly because everyone was talking about how they need a light read after Wicked. Sedaris is considered a comic genius by many (fyi - his sister is Amy Sedaris, who played the lead in Comedy Central's cult hit Strangers With Candy and now appears on SNL). It's also on my half-read shelf, so that would help me knock that off my list (heh). It's also a short read which should help in this busy month. (I was thinking it would be great paired with a classic that dealt with family issues, since that's what Sedaris' books are about--his family. So Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck was the one that came top in my mind. And that's also a short book.)

But as my books are not listed on anyone elses, I'm thinking it won't make the cut. So that's what I'm voting for in December because the reasons work well for that month too.

(This is what happens when you don't vote like you should. Sorry.)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.