What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Looking for recipe ideas for Thanksgiving

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hi Valerie!
I have to admit I'm not much of a Thanksgiving person (not a big turkey fan). The one year we didn't travel for the holiday, I told my mom that I was going to make lobsters for Thanksgiving and she was HORRIFIED.

:)

I would add some baked sweet potatoes to your list (love those) and maybe a homemade cranberry sauce.

Sorry that I'm not too much help, but I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I love Thanksgiving...it's my favorite holiday in part because it's just my immediate family and we don't travel for it. I'm a vegetarian, but my wife makes a turkey for the kids now and I make the rest, usually acorn squash with blueberries/brown sugar, maybe a shepherd's pie thing....I honestly like the cranberry sauce from a can...the way it plops out in the mold with the little ridges...

ah...Thanksgiving...

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie No Tofurkey for you, RA? :)

I'm going to try Bunny's sweet potato mash. That sounds good!

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I was looking through the "Eating Well" magazine's web site tonight, and I found this article and recipes:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/col...

They sound like some good, healthy Thanksgiving options.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie OK, I'm on a roll here... I just found this recipe at VeganYumYum, and I think I might make it for an appetizer at Thanksgiving:

Asparagus and White Bean Pesto Tart

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joannehaley) A good low fat Thanksgiving dessert my family likes is Pumpkin Pudding (basically the pie filling without the crust). Follow directions on a can of pumpkin and substitute 2% milk for the evaporated milk, substitute 3/4 of the sugar for splenda. Put extra cinamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Bake in a large bowl or deep dish just like you do the pie! It's great, no one ever knows about the substitutes and it cuts out alot of fat and calories without ever knowing you did!

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 3 comments I love mashed sweet potatoes. I make them just like reg. mashed potatoes but I add a little maple syrup to them. They are always a big hit!!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) roasted veggies are a good alternative to traditional item such as mashed potatoes and bean casseroles. cauliflower is good both ways mashed or roasted.

I prefer roasted.. cut the cauliflower in to pieces/slices and arrange on baking sheet. drizzle with olive oil, salt pepper. and other seasonings. i like garlic powder or cumin. but really anything savory might work. bake between 350/375 until edges are toasty brown (or as dark as you like). there is a more detail recipe in southern living. sep. issue.

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Does the roasted cauliflower turn out soft, Sarah?
Does it brown?

message 10: by Katrina (new)

Katrina There is a way to make pumpkin pie without the crust and still have it a pie. My brother loved pumpkin pie, but didn't like to make, or eat, the crust. I can't find my recipe at the moment, but if I remember correctly you just add some Bisquick to the pie filling and bake in a greased pie pan as you would normally bake your pie.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Oct 29, 2008 12:37PM) (new)

Sarah (goosers34) Valerie
It is soft but youcan let the edges get brown. you can honestly let it roasted as long as you like, letting the crisp up.

I prefer all my roasted veggies on the crisper side so i tend to turn up the heat and let them roast a little longet than most! but that's just me.

The mag says roast in a 425 degree oven for 25-30 mins. so i was wrong in my earlier post. sorry i was going from memory.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie We're having Thanksgiving at my brother's house this year, and here's the appetizer I'm bringing:

Prosciutto Rolls with Arugula and Figs

message 13: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisef) | 3 comments I always so a sweet potato casserole and a mashed potato casserole because I can do them two weeks ahead and then freeze them. I take them out the day before and just bake them. It saves so much time the day of. I try to do most things ahead except for the Turkey.

message 14: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rahrah) Thanksgiving is the best holiday. I love all the food and relaxed visits with family and friends. Besides the usual dishes, this year's menu includes John Folse's Honey Mint Glazed Carrots. It's an interesting taste of carrots, sweetened with honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add a little savory crumbled bacon; and topped off with mint and brandy (optional). There are no leftovers!