FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > Halloween Strategies...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Fellow Board Denizens,

Within a few weeks we will face a collective challenge. This challenge may include:

1. The desire to eat half the supply of candy originally meant for trick or treaters,
2. The desire to forage through your kids' trick or treat bags and feast off their door to door labors, and/or
3. Gatherings in which very good but very bad food is plentiful.

I have historically engaged in all three of the above...board colleagues, let us be proactive in our efforts...how should we approach the Halloween season? Any ideas?

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh god I've failed already. I have this huge bowl of candy sitting on my counter that I've been feasting on every night. I need to hide it I think and then be very anti-Halloween and ban trick or treaters!!!

I'm horrible aren't I?

message 3: by RandomAnthony (last edited Oct 07, 2008 06:21AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Ah, the buy the Halloween candy early scenario...I've been there, Holli:) You're not horrible.:)

message 4: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LOL - the only way to survive is to buy candy you don't actually like... or HORRORS give out non-candy/healty treats...

Funny enough, one year I gave out kids toothbrushes (a friend got me a case from her job) and they LOVED them... We could hear them outside yelling, the house with the toothbrushes is over there... and while you might think it was so they could egg or TP us... nope... they just dug the toothbrushes.

The other thing I do is put the bag somewhere where I don't see it every day and leave the damn thing sealed until Halloween night... once you break the seal, you are dead. I know this might not be practical for all, but it helps me.

And oh by the way - thanks for helping me remember the 2 bags of Peanut M&M's are currently "hidden" under the corner table in my living room! (I broke rule number one - I like Peanut M&M's... sigh)

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Call me Anti-Halloween, but I refuse to even buy the stuff. I live in an apartment complex with tons of units. I figure all the little kidlets can go to other places. I tend to make plans for that night and not come home until later. Yes, I know, I'm mean...

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Some would call that smart... problem is I am a sucker for Halloween... I LOVE IT!!!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Hee hee!
GREAT tactics, y'all! I especially love the toothbrush idea. We never get very many trick or treaters at my house, so in theory I could buy some prize that is relatively expensive (cool pencils or toothbrushes or whatever) and it wouldn't set me back.

I'm gonna be away this year, too, though (like Kristen). Doing what, I have no idea...

It's hard to buy candy that I don't like, but that kids do. (Seriously, if I were passing out candy this year, I'd totally want the kids to love my candy!) Maybe jelly beans. Or skittles! I dunno... Toughy.

message 8: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I actually found Betty Crocker (I think) Halloween gummy treats at Sam's club this weekend. I bought two boxes!!! There are 40 in a box... One for me, one for the kiddies - lol...

I didn't do the WW points on them, but I know they have to be better than candy bars.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/n...

Let me know if you can't read the article. It's a listing of organic and lower sugar treats.

Books Ring Mah Bell Trudy, I love your technique! Buy candy you dislike!

Halloween just turns into Thanksgiving and Christmas, where I eat WAYYYY too much Mashed potatoes and gravy. and cheese from all those appetizer trays...

(salty treats are my weakness)

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I've shot this to hell...snagging a few things from the kids' stash every day...but I've been trying to cover by working out more and eating less otherwise.

I curse you, bucket of candy on top of the refrigerator!

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LOL... curses to the bucket of candy... LOL