Science and Inquiry discussion

Archive > Hi from a historian of medicine...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Boogoalo (new)

Boogoalo Thanks to a Goodreads friend--I stumbled on this group. Thrilled to see that there are others who share my love of all things science/serious nonfiction!

I work in the history of medicine, particularly in early-modern Europe. (Think bloodletting!)--and teach at Vanderbilt University. If anyone is interested in this type of stuff, you might head on over to my blog:
http://wondersandmarvels.blogspot.com

Looking forward to talking books with everyone!

All the best, Holly

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jes3ica) | 13 comments I'm SO excited to read through your blog archives! I am absolutely fascinated by history of medicine and can't wait for your book to come out :). Until then, what are your top book recommendations on the subject?

message 3: by Boogoalo (new)

Boogoalo Tops right now? Wendy Moore's THE KNIFE MAN. All about John Hunter's 18th century dissections and surgeries. Really well researched. Another good one...Susan Lederer's FLESH AND BLOOD. A fascinating history of 20th century blood transfusion and body donation.

I use Mary Lindemann's MEDICINE AND SOCIETY IN EARLY MODERN EUROPE in my classes. It's really a fantastic overview, smart too.

Now I've got to find a way to motivate myself to write today--sometimes it's a heck of a lot easier to talk about books than to write one!