Running with Scissors Running with Scissors discussion

Book is Great

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon I loved Running with Sciossor! This is the first time I actually enjoyed reading. I swear sometimes I would pick up the book and read for hours, pressing forward when It got the good parts (Augsuten and Bellman). Not only that but the book made me laugh! That doesn't happen to me very much.

This book had my attenion all the way down to Augustens sexual experiences with Bellman and the bible dips, to Doctor Finch and his out of the ordinary ways of "curing" his patients. The end was even surprising, Although I don't want to give it away for those who haven't read it yet.

Augustens writing is real in my opinion. I think we can all relate to having those dysfunctional members of the family (maybe not as dysfunctional as Augustens) but It made the story more cool to read.

Katie I believe you mean, "Bookman" not, "Bellman". Just throwing it out there.

Rose Ann I liked and disliked this book. I enjoyed reading all the bizarre details (could have done without the descriptive details of his sexual encounters with Bookman) but that's me.
It is almost unbelievable some of the things that occured in this memoir.
I was disappointed also, to read, after the fact, that alot of the truth was stretched and that a lawsuit was made by the psychiatrist's family members (they won the lawsuit)
So after reading it, I wonder....how much of it really was non-fiction?

message 4: by Tamara (new)

Tamara I read this book shortly after it was published...disturbing but I couldn't put it down. I always wondered how much was actually the truth...

Kaamasee Lonjose I Liked this book. For me it was a quick read. although it had some inapproate things in there it was funny. it is also a good way tp show that transgenders can also be in harm form others that are not transgender. i have not entirelyn finished the book but i hope i do.

Heather Anderson Lawsuit, really?!! How odd. I would hope he used ficticious names for them.

Heather Anderson Rose Ann wrote: "I liked and disliked this book. I enjoyed reading all the bizarre details (could have done without the descriptive details of his sexual encounters with Bookman) but that's me.
It is almost unbelie..."

Really? How in the heck did they win a lawsuit? Do you have a link to an article about it that we can see?

Heather Anderson Never mind. I looked it up. They did not "win" the lawsuit; it was settled out of court. Really, what good did bringing suit against the author and publisher do for them? They are now mentioned by name in the book, something to the effect of "I am sorry if the Turcottes see things differently than I do". Now they have lost their anonymity. I, for one, do not believe that there was any stretching of the truth. These are the events as Burroughs saw them. The lawsuit over "A Million little Pieces", a book I am still unfamiliar with, set the precedent for the Turcotte's lawsuit.

Lavender Brooke Heather wrote: "Never mind. I looked it up. They did not "win" the lawsuit; it was settled out of court. Really, what good did bringing suit against the author and publisher do for them? They are now mentioned by ..." It is also a memoir not an autobiography - so the author is saying 'this is what I remember' not 'this is factually exactly what happened' it is very difficult to sue someone for remembering things differently to how you rmember it so more fool them.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I found this book to be disturbing, narcissistic, disgusting and sad.