Harry Potter discussion

JK Rowling > Why we love Jo... She faces the music with her head (and wand) held high!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy Marie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Amy Marie (amy_marie97) | 26 comments She faces the music with her head (and wand) held high!

Right now, Jo is on her tour in the states, and MTV just released an interview that addresses religion in HP.

And it is fantastic! Here is how Mugglenet summed it up:

The article focuses on the somewhat controversial issue of Christianity and its place in the Harry Potter series. "To me [the religious parallels have] always been obvious," Jo says, proceeding to discuss how it was inevitable that there would be religious references in the books as "they're very British" and so religious quotes and imagery would naturally be encountered by the characters due to the setting.

When it comes to commenting on her own beliefs, Jo says, "I go to church myself [but] don't take any responsibility for the lunatic fringes of my own religion."

Read the article for the full story.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1572...

Also in the article, you can click on another link to find out just how much she told the acting trio...

message 2: by Amy Marie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Amy Marie (amy_marie97) | 26 comments Is no one gonna notice my comment...

*is sad*

message 3: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Kenzie I read it, interesting.

message 4: by Shley (new)

Shley | 7 comments JK is an amazing, and clever woman. I adore her. I think I have read that article before..

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments I love how she addressed that in a way that seperates here from the more extreme sides of the arguments.

message 6: by John-Paul (new)

John-Paul | 1 comments It's kind of ironic that some Christians want to have the books banned or preach against them, yet they DO have Christian themes. I am a Christian and have no problems with the books.

I agree with you Rachel. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey i am Bella and i i think Harry Potter is ok i mean i dont hate it but i dont love it

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments I don't think that it's that the books don't have anything to do with religion. Even if they weren't directly influenced by religion, they carry a lot of the same morals and ideas, such as the strenght of love.

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (KQCRocks) | 25 comments You know every time I read Harry Potter I learn something new. So i went to see the 6th movie and I could tell when things weren't in the movie that were in the book. I don't love Harry Potter but I don't love it like Bella said.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

JKR

Love (#1 BEATLES FAN IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE) (Pauls1fan) | 117 comments i dont really understand... :)

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Escaffi-James (aahlyia) Why do people constantly look for religion is stories. JKR wrote a fantastic series of books based on witchcraft (in a fun sort of way).
I guess, however, you can find symbolism in anything as long as you want it to be there

message 14: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments I'm a Christian too and I think it's prefectly fine! As long as you don't start like trying to do it, it's absoloutly ok to read them. I mean, don't go around trying to kill "muggles". That's what most people think it says to kids.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 10 comments i'm not christian but i am an orthodox jew and i never think about relegion when i read a book, unless of course it's part of the theme. i think books shouldn't be read in a way that takes them personally but as what it is. if it offends someones beliefs, they shouldn't read it or let their kids read it, as long as they don't make an issue about it.

message 16: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments I haven't really noticed any prominent religious symbolism in the HP books... guess now I'll have to start looking for them, they aren't really obvious and I didn't think JKR meant them to be obvious. I suppose you get out of a book what you put into it.

message 17: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments Well everyone dieing to save others is bery prominent

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

duh

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) You know, that looks pretty misquoted to me. JK says she choose a bible verse for a tombstone - how common is that? And she mentions that she goes to church.

AND BAM. Harry Potter is now based off religion!

???

message 20: by Foxears (new)

Foxears | 30 comments The books obviously has themes that comes from Christianity, but most stories has those as we (Europeans and Americans) are living in a society based on Christianity. There is always the traitor (Judas, Peter Pettigrew, Edmund in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) and the person who believes everyone is worth the same, like Jesus traits outcasts well Harry Potter is nice to houseelfs and goblins... etc.

I will have a lot more exampels when I've read the book "The Gospel of Harry Potter" which I happen to own, but have not yet felt like reading. :P

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) I really don't think a traitor is unique to Christianity, or any religion, nor is "the person who believes everyone is worth the same." There's nothing new under the sun - even texts written before Jesus or Christianity were filled with these common themes. It's actually well said that there's only a few stories we tell, and we keep retelling them over and over.

If you go into this looking for religion you're going to find it. If I went into it looking for parallels between Stars Wars and Harry Potter I'm going to find them. And gee whiz, there is.

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda J.K. Rowling has an interview, which will air on The Oprah Show on Friday, October 1, it was filmed on location in Scotland. Sounds to be interesting.

message 23: by Foxears (new)

Foxears | 30 comments Is it possible to see it online?

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Hmm not sure. It may show up on YouTube or you can check Oprah's website.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Foxears wrote: "Is it possible to see it online?"

Why don't you record it on your TV?

message 26: by Foxears (new)

Foxears | 30 comments *Ella* wrote: Why don't you record it on your TV?"

I don't have the channel on my TV as I live in Sweden.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Foxears wrote: "*Ella* wrote: Why don't you record it on your TV?"

I don't have the channel on my TV as I live in Sweden."

Aw, that's too bad. You might check the-leaky-cauldron.org after it airs, or muggle.net . OR you could always try Youtube!