The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I don't know if anyone is a "theater buff" (frankly I'm not sure I'd call myself one). But, I do love good theater, so I thought I'd start a thread and see if anyone else out there has any interest.
I saw "The Drowsy Chaperone" last night (hence the inspiration for the thread today lol) and thought it was fantastic! Some (this isn't a comprehensive list!) of my other favorite Broadway shows include:
Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, The Scarlet Pimpernel, 1776, Hairspray, Much Ado About Nothing, Disney's The Lion King, and Mama Mia (of course!). There's more, but I'll save you all the trouble or reading about them until I find out if any of you actually have an interest ;>

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Ditto, Ann! And I love this thread. Thanks for posting!

message 3: by Dottie (last edited Oct 06, 2008 02:53PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Oh my -- list? Can I? Way back when (over forty years ago) I had access only to a community theater -- but they did a terrific job:

Sound of Music

My Fair Lady

Oliver

Arsenic and Old Lace (well everyone had to do that play back then and it is still around, of course)

Everybody Loves Opal -- oh my goodness -- I DO love that play!

--- and others which I'm not coming up with at the moment were all seen at that theater. My second grade teacher sang the role of the Mother Superior in Sound of Music alongside the high school secretary's Maria von Trapp -- both had magnificent voices as did others in many of the musical productions done there. The theater is still going strong, by the way.

Professional productions:

The only thing I ever saw in NYC was a production of -- yeah -- the play which became the film musical with the song True Love -- boy am I blanking out on this -- but it's just like my seeing the play was -- I was ill and had a very serious nosebleed on and off all through the play and spent half the time looking at the ceiling while listening to the dialogue -- VERY weird.

Other productions/touring productions:

Showboat at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion

Cats at OCPAC

Cabaret at OCPAC

Les Miserables at OCPAC

Mama Mia! at Pasadena Civic Auditorium

Menopause the Musical -- ??? forget where

La Boheme (Baz Luhrman's La Boheme on Broadway) at the Ahmanson or DCP -- forget.

And I know there are others which I've left out here.

What about true opera stagings?

A dress rehearsal of The Pearl Fishers at OCPAC

La Boheme in Los Angeles

Grendel in Los Angeles

Okay -- hope I didn't scare every one off!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Oh yes..."The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" is a great show.

And of course Rent

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I've yet to see Rent! Isn't that terrible! It's one of the "classic must-sees" that I haven't seen yet! AND I haven't seen CATS! Well, I did see the PBS version that aired, so that sort of counts - but recorded theater is always different than seeing it live.

If anyone thinks of others, keep me posted! The Broadway tours come through our city every so often and sometimes I don't know much about the shows - so if I can get feedback before deciding if it's worth the money for the tickets, then that's great!

Oh, and Dottie, sure Operas can count, too! I haven't seen any true operas, only "musical operas" (I'm blanking on the correct term) like Phantom, or H.M.S. Pinafore.

message 6: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I've only seen the film versions of Phantom and Rent -- both would be fantastic to see in stage productions.

And I forgot a stage production of Wait Until Dark which we saw at a little theater in some LA suburb -- aname place which has slipped away into the fog. It was quite a nicely staged production of one of my own favorites.

Do any of you include plays in your reading? I love reading plays but had gotten away from it for years until Constant Reader another group here decided years ago while we were still in our other web home) that plays should be an option and we read Arcadia by Tom Stoppard -- as was mentioned around this group elsewhere earlier. We also read Kushner's Angels in America which is heartwrenchingly and beautifully written.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments I have seen Rent multiple times and it is always the same which makes it even better. My sister saw Avenue Q and most recently Spring Awakening. She also had the opportunity to attend the Tony's this year and have a photo op with one of the winnders.

message 8: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments I get to see a touring broadway production of The Lion King this month! SO excited! =)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) I LOVE Wicked..
also.. A Chorus Line..Rent..& 42nd Street.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I was actually pretty impressed with the recent "Phantom" movie. I mean, NOT on all fronts, but I felt they captured the epic and grand feel of the play in the way it was filmed and directed.

And yes! I've read a few plays (not as many as I'd like, but a few). Mainly Shakespeare plays (so I know what I'm getting myself into before seeing the play ;>) and also Oscar Wilde, which HOW could I neglect to include "Earnest" as one of my all-time favorite plays!!! (perhaps because I've yet to see a play rival the Firth/Everett movie, but still;>)

Megan, your sister got to attend the Tony's!? How fun!!! That would be such a neat experience!:D
What did you think of "Avenue Q"? I'm trying to decide if I want to go see it.

Franny, Lion King is touring here later, too and I'm really looking forward to going back!!!

And Jamie, I've yet to see Wicked but I SO want to! I've heard great things about it am and waiting for it to come here...

message 11: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Ann -- I know this hold little weight as i've not seen it on stage but I absolutely agree that the film of Phantom was exquisite -- not perfect but exquisite none-the-less!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I have never been to a theater show but I love the ballet! I try to go to one show a year.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I love dance, too! I think the best ballet I've seen was set to "Carmina Burana" -- awesome music! For film versions, I like "The Nutcracker" with Barishnikov (sp?) and the RAD (I think?) version of "Sleeping Beauty."

I also really loved seeing the Alvin Ailey Dance Co.; really exquisite, powerful and moving! And I found a production by MOMIX to be really imaginative and engaging.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I think my favorite movie-versions of musicals are "Mamma Mia!" and "Sound of Music"--I've seen both of these in the theater and actually PREFER the movie versions. I also thought "Phantom" and "Hairspray" were good, but I liked the theatrical versions better.

I know you all read some PG Wodehouse for one of your selections awhile back. If you loved him, and you like theater, be sure to see "Anything Goes"--he co-wrote that with Guy Bolton and it's such a blast! Soooo funny. One of my favorite musicals and I think the best of the early musicals because it really brought out plot and characters whereas most of the first musicals employed thin plots and flat characters merely to string songs together.

message 15: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I think I must have had crummy seats when I saw Phantom live. I love, love, love the movie! Although some of the singing is of lesser quality, some is better, I think. And, even though the Phantom's singing isn't as "good," it really conveys the emotions well.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I'm glad to see that there's others out there who liked the Phantom movie well enough - yes, not perfect, but exquisite nonetheless. And Robbie, I so understand what you mean about the singing. Sometimes a "lesser quality" voice is more fitting for a character.

Ballets can be so beautiful! Often times they can be very boring (don't get me wrong though, having taken many years of ballet I do love ballet, but just sometimes it's not the most exciting thing to watch). But I love the "Carmina Burana" music but have yet to see the ballet :( Though the Barishnikov Nutcracker is lovely!

And yes! "Anything Goes" is SO fun!!!

message 17: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I LOVE Anything Goes -- absolutely love it.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Lion King is beautiful. I cried during the opening number. My sister who saw "Avenue Q" enjoyed the show and as a warning it is pretty politically incorrect.

As for dance performances I love those two. The sister I have mentioned is a dancer by profession and has had the opportunity to work with Mark Morris and a few local dance groups. Of course anything she does is always my favorite. I did see "The Nutcracker" done by the English National Ballet in Southampton, England in 2000. It was a modern version and the party was not set in Victorian times rather cell phone toting affair having times. The mechanical doll and toy soldier were replaced with a slutty barbie and a Michael Jackson doll. It was a great performance.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Haha! That sounds like a really interesting performance of "The Nutcracker," Megan. Neat! I've seen several Shakespeare plays at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and they often modernize settings while keeping the script word-for-word. (This summer, we saw "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and it was set in the '60s/'70s--Bottom wore velvet bell-bottoms and his acting troupe came onto stage in a VW bus with neon flowers all over it; and the fairies were men in tu-tus... (you probably get the drift!) Most interesting twist and a great performance!)

message 20: by Dottie (last edited Oct 13, 2008 12:30PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Megan -- just an aside on Lion King. The opera Grendel which I saw had creations and characters by the woman who did all the oversized puppetry types of costumes, etc. for Lion King on stage.

Also, Kathryn, have you seen Baz Luhrman's film of Romeo and Juliet -- hyper modern settings, etc but the absolutely untampered with Shakespearean dialogue -- blows me away every time I watch it. I've seen it several times now.

Okay back to the stage!

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Yes! That sounds like an awesome "Nutcracker!" :D How fun!!!

I'm glad to hear, too, that I'm not the only one who gets misty-eyed during The Lion King!!! I think I was even tearing up when they had it on the Tonys!! lol!

Has anyone heard anything about Disney's "Little Mermaid"? I'm *really* excited to see it (when it goes on tour, of course), but I saw a small clip online and wasn't totally impressed. Although, a stage production played on a 4x4 screen probably hinders the feel a little;>

Also, there's a website devoted to the stage version of Lord of the Rings. Anyone interested in really amazing sets should take a look! The stage floor is *incredible!* It actually looked better than I'd thought LOTR would on stage. But again, I've only seen it on the 4x4 screen. :)

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I've finally seen Jykell & Hyde, and wow! What a good play! Very different from the last play I saw and loved (Drowsy Chaperone) but still very good!!! I haven't read the book yet, so I can't compare the two. But it reminded me of the Les Miz feel and style of music.

message 23: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 13, 2008 12:06PM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Dottie, I haven't seen that version of R&J but it sounds great. I saw "Moulin Rouge" and really appreciated the gorgeous sets, innovative twists and "fairytale" aspect.

Ann, I totally echo your views on "Jekyll and Hyde." Definitely a "Les Miserables" feel to it and really beautiful songs and an interesting pscyhological tale. Might be interesting for those of you who liked "Frankenstein"--another Victorian-era (roughly) tale about a scientific experiment gone terribly wrong and the "monster" that arises as a result. Yet the tale really speaks to humanity.

Also, for those of you who might wish to seek more info on Mary Shelley via theatrical methods, "Blood and Ice" is a really interesting (dramatic and sad!) play about Mary's life, mostly dealing with the Percy/Lord Byron era.

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Oh bummer! I totally spelled Jekyll wrong! (well, I'm not surprised. I'm terrible at spelling—spell check is my best friend!;>).
But that's a good idea to recommend "Blood and Ice" - it's ages since I saw it, but I remember thinking it was really good. Creepy, but good.

message 25: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Kathryn -- I recommend the entire Red Curtain trilogy of Luhrman films. Strictly Ballroom, Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet.

Interesting article here: http://www.ez-entertainment.net/blog/...

The Blood and Ice sounds interesting. Who is the playwright?

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Blood and Ice is by Liz Lochhead and here is an bit of info on the play, from a British theater review:

http://www.britishtheatreguide.info/r...

Thanks for the Luhrman recommendations, Dottie! I'll have to check otu that link! :-)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) my boyfriend just got me Legally Blonde: The Musical tickets for my birthday!! :)

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Happy Birthday, Jamie!
I hope you enjoy Legally Blonde!!:D I'm SO curious about it! I hope you'll post your review after you see it!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) thank you ann!!
I will definitely post when i see it!

message 30: by Katri (last edited Oct 16, 2008 06:12AM) (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 107 comments I'm a huge big theatre addict! I've gone to see plays and musicals as often as I could since I was a child. Now, depending on the place where I live there hasn't always been a great selection in what to see, but now I at least live in a town with many good theatres. Over the years I've gotten more and more obsessed with musicals - now to the point that I put most of the money I can spare into travelling to Budapest and Vienna to see my favourite musicals because that's where they do them best. I live in Finland and while we've got pretty good spoken theatre here, I feel our musical productions mostly aren't terribly well made.

Recently I've seen the musical Rebecca in Helsinki (it's a musical based on Daphne DuMaurier's novel that premiered in Vienna and is supposed to come to Broadway on 2010). At the end of the year I'm going to Budapest to see some more musicals - their production of Tanz der Vampire (a gorgeous German vampire musical which may be interesting to this month's book club as it's partly a parody of Dracula) as well as musical versions of Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream. So looking forward to it! And in the meantime I'm going to see some plays here in Finland: Macbeth next weekend and Peter Shaffer's Amadeus next month. I've already seen that production of Amadeus and it was wonderful, good enough to go to see it again!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) ooh I loved the novel Rebecca..i'm sure the musical is amazing!

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I'm glad your able to find some places not too far away that have good theater, Katri. Whenever I think about other places to live I admit that it's access to good theater is a pretty high priority!:D

I'm SO curious to hear about the musical Shakespeares! The Shakespeare festival that I go to has started toying with the idea of musicals and I wonder how good they'll be. They did some this past year and they weren't too bad. Some were really good, others just okay. But, it's new ground for the theater, so I'm sure it will get better in time. :)

message 33: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 107 comments The Romeo and Juliet musical is originally French (called Roméo et Juliette, written by Gérard Presgurvic). There are DVDs out of both the French and Hungarian versions (the Hungarian version is called Rómeó és Júlia), I must say I like the Hungarian version better because I think it works dramatically better. I've only seen it on DVD, though, so I'm excited to see it live on stage! If you are really curious, I think you can find at least some clips of the French version on YouTube by searching for the musical name, and I believe all of the Hungarian DVD is also posted there. Though it's probably a little confusing if you don't know the languages - but then, my Hungarian is shaky at best and I still love it!

I don't know as much about the Midsummer Night's Dream musical because it's a Hungarian production and only just premiered, but I'm extremely curious about it! I have seen pictures of the production and it looks just beautiful... If you want, I can give you a link.

I forgot to say that my favourite musical of all is Elisabeth, an originally German-language musical about the Empress Elisabeth of Austria. She was an extremely interesting personality (she hated being an Empress, felt imprisoned by her position and fled to books, riding and cultivating her legendary beauty) and the musical is quite popular in many European countries, though it's not so much heard of in the US. Anyway, I do also like some originally English-language musicals - Les Misérables used to be a big favourite though I confess I've grown out of it a bit, I also like The Beauty and the Beast and Phantom of the Opera, and I'm extremely fond of the musicals of Frank Wildhorn. My favourite of his is Jekyll & Hyde, which someone already mentioned here, but I also like The Scarlet Pimpernel, Dracula, and Rudolf - The Last Kiss (probably not known to Americans, it's about the Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, Elisabeth's son, and has premiered in Budapest and will soon in Vienna).

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Thanks for all the information, Katri!:D Yes, links would be wonderful!!! :D And I'll have to check out those videos, too!

Elizabeth sounds like a perfect musical for GG fans! An Empress who turns to books!? Perfect!:D

I've seen most of the English-language musicals you mentioned and second your praise of them! Very good, and very classic.

message 35: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 107 comments Some pictures of the Midsummer Night's Dream musical I mentioned: here and some more here when you click on the image on the left.

I suppose I can help you a bit with the Romeo and Juliet musical videos because it occurred to me there are quite many and you don't necessarily know where to start from. So I hope nobody minds if I post a couple of video links. Here's from the French version: Les Rois du Monde, Romeo, Benvolio and Mercutio's song. Aimer (one of Romeo and Juliet's duets).

And here are a couple of scenes I love in the Hungarian version: Romeo and Juliet at the ball. And
Mercutio and Tybalt's duel. (And I think I just have to give you the Hungarian 'Les Rois du Monde' because they're having so much fun. Okay, I'll stop with the foreign musical link spam now.)

Yes, I think Rory would approve of Elisabeth. :) In the musical they present her life story as a romance with Death (because she also was depressed a lot and sometimes longer for death), who is represented as a very charming man in the musical. First I thought the idea was creepy but now I really love it. :)

To speak of shows actually known to English-speakers for a while, Les Mis was the first musical that got me really obsessed with musical theatre. I saw it in London when I was 14, in 1998. I also saw the Finnish production a few times, and last year I saw it in Switzerland.

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Thanks for all the great links, Katri!! I'm looking forward to viewing them all!:D

That's neat that Les Miz got you into musicals!:) I'm not sure what the first musical was that really grabbed my attention... "Beauty and the Beast" was probably one of the first though. I got to see it when it was playing in LA and it was incredible! I actually got to briefly meet Gary Beach, the actor who originated Lumiere on Broadway. He was signing autographs and he was SO nice and sweet!!! He later won a Tony (for The Producers???) but when we saw him in L.A. as Lumiere he was so good and fresh, I never would have thought he'd been playing the role for some two years already;)

message 37: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Oct 18, 2008 01:53AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
There have been other threads about theatre, so you might check them out... (this is why I didn't read this one for so long...)

I'm halfway through reading this thread, but I just had to comment on my disappointment with Phantom - it was because the night before, also on Broadway, I saw Les Misérables, and it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. Phantom was spectacular, but it couldn't hold a candle to Les Mis. I will forever wish I saw them in the opposite order!

Chicago was a kick on Broadway. I'd only seen the film, so until I saw it there I'd no idea it was actually so very funny!

Reading on (and will comment more)!

I paid top dollar for Lion King on Broadway. The thearte is an experience in and of itself! But the show? I wept - WEPT I say! - during "Circle of Life." That song alone was worth every penny. The start of the second act also had a brilliant song (not in the film) that gave me goosebumps at it's artistry. The costumes are enough to make one weep with the beauty of it, though... ingenious and stunning all at once - poetry in motion. As for the rest of the show, I was pretty disappointed. It was so stale. Terrible blocking, no real movement or visual interest in the speaking scenes... like I said, Circle of Life worth every penny, but were it not for that and the other song I mentioned, I'd have been exceedingly annoyed!

As for RENT, I didn't much like the movie and haven't had the opportunity for the musical, but the song "Seasons of Love" is an all-time favorite... it gave me goosebumps just typing it, it moves me so much.

message 38: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Bazy Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet is genius! Gah! The images that come even thinking about it!

He (Luhrman) is really amazing. I like all three of his films you mentioned, Dottie... in fact I two out of three of them! I can't decide if I want to see his latest, Australia. I just can't much abide Nicole Kidman, but it's Baz! We'll see. Have any of you heard his "song" which is the speech he gave to a graduating class several years back? It's so uplifting, funny, and wonderful!

Speaking again of songs, Legally Blonde has another favorite and highly empowering song - "Watch Me Shine." Absolutely should be on every girl's playlist!

message 39: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I know I'm overdoing it, but I've only talked about musicals...

I saw the film of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead and thought it was utterly brilliant. Being a student of Shakespeare for far too long, this film was fresh and smart and funny. I'd love to see the original play sometime. Because of that film, I became a huge fan of Tom Stoppard. Yet I can't remember a time I've seen an actual play done by professional (not high school or community). That's just crazy. Have I even seen a Shakespeare? Oh gosh, I can't believe it! I don't think so!!

Mostly I read plays. And then see the films if they have them. Huge Oscar Wilde play fan, as well. I actually performed in one of his once (Earnest)!

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments First let me say sorry for posting a second theater thread!!! I'll try to be more careful next time!!! :\

Michele, my first introduction to Lez Mis was (maybe the music??) but mostly it was the PBS special they ran... oh gosh, ten years ago or something? Anyway, all I can say is WOW! I was enraptured by that alone, some 15-20 people in costume, standing on a bare stage, in front of standing mics, no props, no sets, no staging... just their acting and their voices and the brilliant music and lyrics and I was enthralled! Those guys were amazing! I can't watch that "Every Drop of Rain" song without crying!!!!
I remember when we say Les Mis here, and by the end the audience stopped clapping at the end of songs. Not because the show suddenly got bad, but because it was that good... I mean, how can you applaud after some of those songs? It would have felt so wrong. It was probably just our audience, but I hope the actors took the multiple sniffles and noses being blown as compliments;>

Also, I totally see what you mean about Lion King. there are aspects of it that are so moving and memorable and absolutely amazing! But, take away those things, and the actual *play* itself isn't as amazing... it's more the whole feel and look of it I guess. I'm very curious to see it again and see if I come away with the same impressions.

OMG - you performed in Earnest!!?!?!?!?! I'd LOVE to do that show!!! It's one of my all time favorites! Wilde has got to be one of the funniest playwrites I know of!!!:D

message 41: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 107 comments Hmm, I somehow haven't yet found the other theatre threads, but then, I'm still getting started in finding my way around this group!

I also love to read plays. When I was in high school (I did the IB) we read an awful lot of plays. Shakespeare's Hamlet and Macbeth, Peter Shaffer's Equus, many Finnish classics etc. And our teacher loved taking us to see plays, I've probably never gone to theatre as often as during those years. That time period made my love for theatre even stronger, though I've loved it since childhood. The first play I remember seeing was a staging of the Sleeping Beauty, but I may have seen something before that already.

The first musical I actually saw was The Sound of Music, and I loved it (I'm not so much into it now, but I was ten years at a time, and it was theatre and music combined so I had to love it). But in the town where I lived then, we didn't get many musicals, so I didn't see how amazing they could be until that London trip when I saw Les Mis and got obsessed.

I adore Oscar Wilde, too! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to see any of his plays live.

Oh, and to return to that Romeo and Juliet musical yet - just now someone put up clips of the Hungarian production with English subtitles, so I'm going to link to a couple of those to make it easier for you, Ann. Aimer (Romeo and Juliet's duet); The Duel (just the duel, not Mercutio's death).

message 42: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments I finally got to see The Lion King last night and it was SO amazing. I loved the costumes. I think it's probably the best show I've ever seen! If it comes through your town, I highly recommend it.

message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I applaud all of you who actually *read* the plays. I've read some Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde, but that's (sadly) about it...

Thanks for the extra links, Katri!:D And yes! Sound of Music! I adore that musical. I must say though, that I doubt a stage show will be able to replace the warm-fuzzies I feel about the movie with Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews :) So good!

Also, Katri, I LOVE the Colin Firth/Rupert Everett version of Wilde's "Earnest"! If you get the chance to see it, I so recommend it! I saw "Earnest" on stage (last year?) but I didn't think it was nearly as good as that movie—I mean, how can you top Firht and Everett???

Yay! Another Lion King fan!:D Glad you liked it Franny. It really is an amazing production!

message 44: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Ann:
I remember when I first joined goodreads I wanted so badly to include all the plays I had watched, even if I hadn't read them. Alas, I was ultimately convinced that was not legit.

message 45: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Does anyone know if Baz's new "Australia" film is a musical? I heard Hugh Jackman is in it so I know there's the potential for greatness.

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Well, bummer Robbie... I could include *SO* many plays if I could just list the one's I'd *watched*! lol!! ;>

And Kathryn, I wasn't even aware of that Hugh Jackman movie! But I adore him and think he's one of the most diverse actors out there. I'm going to keep my eye out for "Australia"!!

message 47: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Kathryn:
I saw a trailer last Saturday, and it didn't look like a musical to be.

message 48: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Thanks, Robbie. I haven't seen the trailer yet but I will see if I can find it online.

message 49: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I can't find the other theater thread either?

message 50: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 107 comments Oh, I really need to watch that "Earnest" movie! I love the play, and I love Rupert Everett, but I haven't got around to seeing the movie yet. I love "An Ideal Husband" with Rupert Everett, though.

Seeing the Scottish Play this weekend (in the case anyone is supersitious :P). Whee! I loved reading it at school, and have seen a couple of productions of it already, but I'm always eager to see more.

« previous 1