Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

New Authors?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

pop When you buy a book by a new or unknown to you author, what attracts you to the book? Cover art? Title? what? How do you determine whether to buy a book by an unknown or not? Yes, I want to know so that I have some ideas when my publisher starts tossing ideas at me.

message 2: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Caroline If a cover of a new author catches my attention and I know nothing about it, I'll read the summary and the first page. Normally, I'll look at reviews online if something looks good, or if the first page is amazing enough on it's own I'll buy it. If the first page is awful, however, I generally won't bother researching it any farther.

message 3: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 14 comments For the most part I agree with Caroline's comment. The cover art is so important, you must grab the readers attention for all the right reasons! If the book is cheaply packaged, I will not purchase it. I too, look at online reviews
as well as read the summary or excerpts given.

Lastly, I google the new author to see if he or she has a website. If so, this works for me, especially if the website is professionally designed and the author as well as their book shows further interest to me. Hope this helps & Good Luck!

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) The cover art and or title of the book gets me interested.

message 5: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

ScottK I have been doing ALOT of googling since I had the good fortune of finding this site and the friends I have made but most usually if I read the back cover or flap and a few pages and I find it interesting I will buy it . This site made my TBR list grow from 15 books to over 20 thus far.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) 1. Recommendations from friends

2. Cover art and/or title grabs my attention and I read the synopsis. If it sounds interesting, I'll pick it up.

3. Barnes & Noble's "Discover New Authors" section.

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Meghan 1. Since I'm a big impulse book shopper, I would have to say cover art/font is a huge thing for me. Freakonomics orange and green color scheme was the main reason I picked it up (and I'm so glad I did. I would have to say that it has been my favorite book I've read this year so far.)

2. The Daily Show with John Stewart, Oprah, and Ellen are also a big influence. I love watching interviews with authors. I want to read their books if I like them as a person. I read Shmuley Boteach's 10 Conversations You Need To Have With Your Children based on his appearance on Oprah and I don't like Oprah's show nor do I like self-help books. But I have to say I really like Boteach and I loved his book.

3. My book clubs. It forces me to read things I would otherwise never touch and I have found a lot of my favorite authors through them, surprisingly.

message 8: by Jordan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Jordan (jordieheartsbooks) 1. Title - this is generally what you see first since the books are generally sideways

2. Cover art - I love interesting cover art

3. The "blurb" - if the book sounds interesting I'll buy it

4. The genre/subject/topic/plot - this depends on what mood I'm in for reading material

I never read professional reviews because I've found that they're never on the same level as me. I do go check out books people I know suggest or say they liked etc.

message 9: by Schnaucl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Schnaucl | 9 comments More books are facing in than out, so it tends to start with a title. If a book is facing out and has an interesting cover and title then I'll turn to read the back/inside flap.

The blurb is what will sell the book to me. Frankly, it's also what mood I'm in. I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy and there are days where I'll go into a bookstore and every book will sound the same and there are days where I can go into the same bookstore and not have that problem.

However, I also become extremely annoyed when the back blurb turns out to have little or no relation to the actual book. I've had that happen a few times. Unfortunately, I know that's something that authors don't have control over.

message 10: by Red (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Red Evans | 3 comments Reply to Jordan:

Well then maybe you could check my book out. It's entitled On Ice. It's the story of a youth, a man he hopes will be a father figure, and their flatulent dog taking the corpse of their friend across the south to be buried beside his long lost love. They don't think it at all unusaul that they take him wrapped in plastic in the back of a '59 Studebaker pickup truck kept fresh in a kiddy pool full of ice cubes.
As you can see, it's genre is humor.
It was fun to write so I'm sure it is as much fun to read. Visit my publisher at www.kunati.com for more about the book and me.

Red Evans author On Ice. Click HERE!

message 11: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 22 comments I think I do a combination of what Seth and Jordan do when looking at books.

If the side title art interests me then I'll usually pull the book off the shelf and read the back blurb. If there's no back blurb, cause there are quotes from critics/authors who read the book, then I'll read the inside jacket flap. If that interests me, then I'll buy it.

message 12: by ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

ben (wormsleycommon) apparently none of you have heard the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover."

message 13: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I constantly pick up books by authors I am unfamiliar with... based on title and summary first. If the title is weak, I may pass right by. If the summary sounds interesting, then it must pass my two page test. If I cant stand there and get thru two pages without skimming or yawning (luckly without the spittle our friend Seth is apparently prone to...), I go no further, and stuff it right back onto its shelf, never to cross paths with it again.....

I also tend to pick up books that sound good based on other ppls posts on threads, or by recommendations from ppl who know what I like to read....