Study Buddies discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Extra Credit - Contest! - Now Closed.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alethea (last edited Oct 18, 2008 01:34AM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
It has begun! Go play!!!
Click here to see the winners!

Would you like to win a bunch of neat Study Buddy stuff?

Post/poll/comment on Study Buddies as much as you can from 12:01 am Saturday, October 11th through 11:59 pm Friday, October 17th--times are Pacific--the top 10 people with the most points earned win free goody bags! (well, envelopes, really) which contain:

§ Study Series bookmarks

§ MVS signed, *personalized* bookplates--yes, your name on them!--for the three Study Series books

§ The top 3 winners will get "Criollo" (unless you are outside the US and we can't send you food, in which case we will figure out a reasonable substitute)

§ The 1st place winner will also receive a free Advanced Reading Copy of Storm Glass!

How to play:

Between the times stated above, sign in to Goodreads!

You get 1 point for every

* discussion post/comment on a post/comment on a poll on Study Buddies

* vote on a poll on Study Buddies (if it is a poll you have already voted on previously, it doesn't count! Even if you change your vote. But you can still comment on a poll you have voted on and that will count, even if you have commented on it before.)

* if you start a new topic on Study Buddies

* if you create a new poll on Study Buddies

(No duplicate topics or polls please! Make it unique.)

* Your post can be off-topic... That's why we have the Off-Topic folder!

* If you post/comment about any of the Study books or Maria V. Snyder elsewhere in GoodReads, outside of Study Buddies! You must include the
code book: or author: in the post to be counted. Your post must make sense! i.e. don't just go into Maximum Ride... ROCKS! (for James Patterson's Maximum ride series) or Books at Bedtime (for children's storytime books) and post about the books there. We have to be able to a) find it and b) figure out why you put it there!

***Updated 10/10***
By the way, if you have a copy of Poison Study, check the back pages--the US paperback version has a reading guide with questions you may add to the discussion. Jane has already put a few in--please do not duplicate those--but feel free to add those or any other questions/topics you may have as new Discussion Topics! The reading guides are fair game!

***Updated 10/13***

You folks are a creative lot, so if you come up with another creative way to promote Poison Study on the site, message me--if you are the first to do it, you get 2 pts Extra Credit! If you are a copycat (^;^) meow! you get 1 point. For example, Meme has changed her profile pic to the book cover for Poison Study--nice way to promote! Now go out there and "friend" some people :) so they can all see it!

Some caveats:

*Normal rules of etiquette apply--see New Members post.

* Play fair! A post/comment which is blank or is otherwise meaningless will not be counted.

* Posts/polls/votes/comments from outside of the stated times will not be counted. I will be going by the goodreads.com timestamps, and posts/votes/comments by members prior to the event will be noted and excluded from the contest points.

(* If any of the winners reside outside of the US, we will probably not be able to send you food items :( If that happens, we'll see what we can do.)

* Alethea and Jane cannot win, but we can participate! We will be tallying the points and promise to be as fair as can be. We want this to be a week of fun, not war! Also we will probably be making the Criollo ourselves (don't worry, Jane is trained and certified as a food preparer, and I am a willing and able food taster) and some of it will likely end up in our tummies anyway.

The winners will be announced on Monday, October 20th.

Disclaimer: This contest is just for fun!
And well, for a little bit of stuff.
And some form of chocolate!
And to serve as an ice-breaker for you shy new members. Yes, new members who sign up during the contest may also play! May the best buddy(/ies) win.

Maria V. Snyder has been kind enough to provide us with some of the prizes.

No squabbling, lawyering, cash equivalents, necklace snakes, hostile takeovers, or anything else unpleasant please.

Times of the contest are structured so everyone has a reasonable chance to play no matter where in the world you are (at some point in the week I hope you will be awake! and posting) but also so that the moderator can exclude previous points, and count up the contest points after.

No rsvp necessary, just start participating after 12:01 am on Saturday the 11th!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 123 comments Mod
Come on everyone!

Even if you don't win Storm Glass, those personalized bookplates are pretty cool! Maria actually writes a quote and signs each one.

This is going to be really fun!

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamclaughlin) What a great idea! This should be mucho fun!
Great job moderators!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 40 comments Oooo... you're giving away a Storm Glass ARC! I'm soooo in!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 8 comments Hah. What a great idea.

message 6: by Alethea (last edited Oct 07, 2008 05:32PM) (new)

I figured, what would *I* want to get for my trouble? ;-)

***Just as a general disclaimer, I don't work for MVS--although she does shower me with mental hugs, autographed stickers, and bookmarks, and the occasional promotional copy of one of her books ^_^ What can I say, I'm a sucker for a mental hug***

By the way, saving up your comments for during the contest is totally cool with me. I think it will be more "conversational" that way.

Since I can't play, I will be posting whenever I please!

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiescarlett) | 4 comments I'm Soooooooooooooooo excited!!! Yay! Thank you, thank you! Alethea, are you going to send out some sort of reminder? Or could you? :D PLEASE?

message 8: by Alethea (last edited Oct 08, 2008 09:10AM) (new)

No problem Katie! GoodReads is set to remind you 1 day before the event, so everyone will get an automatic email.

message 9: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments Great fun! Maria is very giving with swag. Looks like she hooked you up! :) I need to get my book club to agree to read the next study book (I've been saving it on my shelf because we were supposed to...) so we can arrange to have her come. That would be rocking cool.

Anyway, looks like a fun contest! Good luck everyone!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) | 27 comments Wait do we post here? or in any of the topics?

message 11: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments which topic are we going to discuss, Yelena? Valak? are are there going to be more study books that star Yelena and Valak, oh but we can't forget janco and Ari, what is next for them?

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim | 9 comments Gosh, I almost forgot about our extra credit assignment! Bet things are going to start hopping around here!

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiescarlett) | 4 comments Oh dear! I got the reminder- and still forgot! Oh well- I guess I just have to make up for lost time now! :)

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz | 25 comments Yay! I love contests. I am looking forward to it.

message 15: by Ari (new)

Ari | 48 comments This is a really great idea! I'm not generally the kind of person who has much to say, but I'm really excited, so I've posted more in the last twenty minutes than I think I have ever posted before. Good job!

message 16: by Alethea (new)

Hi guys! Post wherever you like within Study Buddies (not necessarily about the books--there is an Off Topic folder too!), vote on the polls if you haven't voted yet, Comment on a poll if you voted before but haven't commented, or want to reply, or whatever. Be creative, and above all have fun!

If you post outside of Study Buddies *about* Maria V. Snyder or any of her books, you may get points *if* you include the trackable book or author links. The easiest way to do this is click "add book/author" at the bottom right of your comment box and search for one of the Study books or Maria's name. I will be checking these throughout the week and adding a point to the tally when I think you did it right!

message 17: by Alethea (new)

In case you have a hard time finding this in my long mishmoshy text up there

***Updated 10/10***
By the way, if you have a copy of Poison Study, check the back pages--the US paperback version has a reading guide with questions you may add to the discussion. Jane has already put a few in--please do not duplicate those--but feel free to add those or any other questions/topics you may have as new Discussion Topics! The reading guides are fair game!

***Updated 10/13***

You folks are a creative lot, so if you come up with another creative way to promote Poison Study on GoodReads, message me--if you are the first to do it, you get 2 pts Extra Credit! If you are a copycat (^;^) meow! you get 1 point. For example, Meme has changed her profile pic to the book cover for Poison Study--nice way to promote! Now go out there and "friend" some people :) so they can all see it!

I hope no one has issues with this rule change, I did think of it before and I thought I put it in the top post but I must have erased it somehow. Boo!

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I was going to start the EC assignment when it started and forgot! BOOHOOOO. Now I'm behind it looks like.

message 19: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments work hard Kristen! there is time yet! post like the very devil is after you!

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I'm working it hard! Weeeee... tons of fun to be had. I will win! Muahahaha

message 21: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments I sense a challenge! I swear to play fair! except for that hitman I might have accidentally tipped off to find you and kidnap you for a few days...

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments (Did you just hear that outside? No? Okay...) I'm trying to catch up, but we'll see what happens, won't we? I just feel bad I haven't posted up until now. Alethea is a very good promoter of group discussion by dangling all those goodies in front of us.

message 23: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments (ignore the shuffling outside your door, its all in your head remember :D) I came upon this group purely by accident! I hadn't even been near Goodreads for a long time beforehand, but its so NICE to have a group of folks who discuss the books and other eccentric tendencies together in a fun inviting atmopshere!

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments They found me... haha. I just figured why not join a group?

message 25: by Nova (new)

Nova | 2 comments Hello! So I'm very late entering the game. Anything exciting happen yet? Important comments that I missed about Yelena/Valek/Ari/Janco?

message 26: by Nova (new)

Nova | 2 comments By the way, does anyone actually know if there is going to be anything focused on those last two (Ari & Janco)? Hints, rumors, whatever?

message 27: by Alethea (new)

Contest is over!

I'm counting up the points, winners to be announced shortly!

Prizes will be sent out next week, except for the "Criollo"--this should be out during the 2nd week of November, and the Grand Prize: Storm Glass ARC--will be shipped when the ARC becomes available! (I know, I know, I can't wait for mine either! Patience...)

Thanks to everyone for playing! I hope you had fun, made some friends, and will continue to post and interact with your Study Buddies :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.