Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > Episode 6: Cold Ground - spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Sookie seeks solace from her friends after facing a tragedy. Jason suffers from withrawal symptoms. Sam and Tara share a bond in searching a common goal.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) OK - in the books this is when Bill and Sookie come together. I hope the show sticks to that. Its what I've been waiting for!

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Was Jason choking her? Isn't this where he gets really mad at her and blames her for grans death? I can't wait for Bill and Sookie to get together. The sex scenes with Jason are pretty explicit. I can't imagine them being that way between Bill and Sookie so it will be very interesting to see how they handle it.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Yeah i think the previews show him choking her. I doubt they'd make the sex between Sookie/Bill as explict since it'll be her first time.

message 5: by Larissa (last edited Oct 08, 2008 09:58AM) (new)

Larissa I miss gran already... Did anyone else notice in the first episode, when she was sitting up reading- waiting on Sookie to come home late one night- that the book gran was reading was a Charlaine Harris book? (At least I think so... beter check the DVR again!)

I'm enjoying catching up - this is fun! :) Larissa

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 25 comments Did someone come into the room in the previews right after sookie finds gran and is on the floor. I agree Larissa it will be super sad to see Gran go. She was great. I think that Gran dying is important though. It is going to have sookie grow a bit. we will see.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) I was surprised when I read the books how fast they offed Gran. Some things seem to drag on longer than necessary but Gran didn't get to hang around long at all.

message 8: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments In response to Stacy's question, yes, someone does come up behind Sookie.

Spoiler...........................................................................................
In the book, Bill is in the house when Sookie discovers Gran.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Holy crap!! That is going to be one hell of a show. Is it Sunday yet?!!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) I 2nd that Lori...kinda wish I hadn't watched the video!

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
I wish is was Sunday! Well, Saturday. Or Friday.

Friday is tomorrow!! Yippee!

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (hornedfroggy) I normally hate spoilers, but this Sunday's show is going to be SO good! :) Thanks for posting!

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments wow a lot packed into that one. Looks like a good one.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie It was so sad when I was watching episode 5, the person I was watching it with had never read the books before and was saying how much they loved the grandmother and then of course it had the cliffhanger ending of her dying and they were just shocked. At least I knew it was coming.

message 15: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) So...who saw it?!

We get Bill and Sookie doing it and boy was that a nice sex scene!

We get Gran getting killed and I do remember Sookie being unemotional for awhile but then finally letting it out and going to Bill after she does. I think I'd be the same way.

Jason was an asshole, as we knew he'd be. He slapped the SHIT out of Sookie!

I might be the only one but I really, really like Tara and Sam as lovers. I think they are kind of cute for each other. He's hot for Sookie but Sookie's hot for Bill and Tara's hot for Jason but Jason is hot for EVERYBODY else. Sucks to be him.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 25 comments So far, I've liked all the episodes, even with the changes, which so far haven't bothered me at all. I agree Carrie! That part was so romantic!! Makes me want to go out and find a vamp. (LOL JOKING, I'm not that delusional)

I kinda like Sam and Tara too. I'd like to see them together more. They both know the other is in love with someone else, but accept it and find comfort with each other.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Oct 12, 2008 08:27PM) (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Yup the big sex scene was so much more tastefully done than the crap that is Jason's endless rutting season! They seem to be playing up the idea that Bill feels Sookie's emotions (having had her blood). I don't really remember that in the books so much until Eric came along.

I don't see how they'll keep Tara and Sam hooking up but do agree that they are cute together. (did you notice Tara's legs in that dress? That girl has some serious muscle definition).

I had forgotten about the evil uncle pervert. Glad to see him weak!

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) I loved tonights show too. I love Bill and Sookie together on the show. The scene tonight was great.

I just started reading the books after the show started and am up to book 5 but the show and the books are now running together for me. LOL I think I need to go back and re read the first book.

Can't wait for next week. Does anyone happen to know how many episodes there will be? And I hope there will be a second season, there just has to be.

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 25 comments Oh I loved tonights episode. I was totally crying when sookie was sitting at the table eating grans pie. That was really good acting. Very emotional. ON a lighter note.

I loved when Bill said to Sam that he was trying to mark his teritory that was awesome. I had a little giggle also when Tara was kicking out all the gawkers at sookies house oh and when she said sookie needs some girl time come on Lafayette heehee fantastical

I loved the sex scene with Bill and Sookie very romantic and wonderfully done. I was surprised to see Anna's boobs I thought maybe cuz shes the lead person they wouldn't have her do that but no big deal it definetly brought more to the scene.

Super happy about Eric being in the next episode I wish it would be more of eric and sookie interacting or eric and bill but it looks like it will probably be Jason at fangtasia. I don't know what the crap he thinks he's doing going to a vampire bar to get v umm I don't think they will be to giving or understanding.

this was just a wonderful episode A+++++++

message 20: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Stacy, I was almost in tears at the part where she's eating Gran's pecan pie. I loved the emotion she brought to the scene. I could see myself reacting the same way to an event like that and although I still don't like Anna as Sookie, she did that scene pretty well.

message 21: by M.G. (new)

M.G. | 2 comments I am on a mission to find me a BILL -hubby of course is not into that mission but wouldn't it be nice. Just the thought of knowing that someone is so tuned into you, ahhh.
I fell in love with Bill's character lst night, he is a great character!!
Jason, what's to say that hasn't already been said within these post.
And as far as Sam goes I still think he a werewolf, and something more is bound to happen with him and Tara of course.
Fingers might be pointing to Sam for killing the girls and Gram, and I thought that too up until the point when Sookie had a flash back to the man in the vamp bar. It was the same guy carrying out Gram! I think he did it! I think this because he was probably at the vamp bar when the other two girls were there and I think they saw him and out of fear he killed them. Plus someone mentioned that maybe Gram was the one that died due to the fact that Sookie was not around.
Just some thoughts to ponder.
I can't wait till SUNDAY!!

message 22: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Stacy, I so agree. Bill talking to Sam about marking territory. Too funny!!!

I loved Tara in this episode. She just tells everyone like it is. Get out...all ya'll get out. *giggle*

Sookie goin' all out at the funeral and telling basically the whole town to shut the F up. Priceless.

Jason is a ding-dong. Someone, please tell me he is better in the books. (I've only finished book one.)

The love scene with Sookie and Bill was completely swoon-worthy. Too sweet and romantic.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments I think I'm in the minority here but I thought the scene with Bill and Sookie was just too Harlequin romance for me, but ateast it was done tastefully. I laughed my head of when Sookie told every one to shut the F up. I also agree that Anna eating the pie was very good acting. I was really blown away at how she portrayed those emotions. On another note is it just me or do you hate Sam's character. He doesn't seem like book Sam at all.

message 24: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments Totally agree with you, Jael. I liked Sam much more in the books. In the show he's such a hot head and seems very shallow, too. It's like they are playing up the wilder aspects of his two-natured self. Charlaine really concentrated on his loyalty - like him staying with Sookie after the funeral and making her clean her house (her whole house, not just the blood). I was upset they took that out of the show. That scene was a great bonding moment for them. Alan Ball has really given him his own life outside of Sookie. I just don't get his attraction to Tara...

Also agree about Bill and Sookie's "coming together." While I was looking forward to it, I thought it was cheesy that she puts on a nightgown that resembles a wedding dress and runs across the cemetery *barf* Totally cute that he comes out to meet her though. How can you not love Bill?

I was disappointed they changed that scene so much from the book. They really rushed through it. For all of Jason's naked butt I've had to see, I thought the would indulge a little bit more in Bill and Sookie, especially because the book does. That's a HUGE scene and they blew right by it. For one, no mention of her being a virgin, which is significant. I also thought it was important that their first time was in Gran's house - both the location and timing was symbolic of her moving from family love to romantic love. Moving the scene to Bill's living room loses some of that charm. Don't get me wrong, it was totally romantic, but I felt like they downplayed the significance of the scene.

message 25: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Ikiwiki, I'm afraid that Jason gets worse as the series progresses. He's just a douchebag.

message 26: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael, Sam is very un-Sam like but I like him! He's more proactive!

message 27: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Evpassino, they are horny, they both are lonely as hell and they both have the working parts. That's how I see it. It might flow into something else but if it stays true to the books, it won't.

message 28: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Oh this one was really good.I was so sad when Sookie was eating the pie too.I also kind of like Sam and Tara together.I was also sad when Tara and her mom were cuddled on the couch such a heart breaking scene.Laughed when she told everyone to shut the fuck up.I actually almost felt sorry for Jason.

message 29: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 25 comments The music was really beautiful in this one too. I really liked that song by Hem and lullaby.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) This was a good episode but I have to agree with everything Evpassino about Bill and Sookie's big moment. It was rushed and there was no mention of her being a virgin. Maybe the white nightgown was supposed to be symbolic of her purity? Doing it on the floor in Bills house was not romantic for me at all. I wish they had followed the book more for that scene.

I can understand Sam and Tara coming together but I don't like Sam very much either. I get that in order to give him some screen time he needs to have a life but I just don't like the way he's being portrayed.

In regards to Jason. I do feel that in later books he redeemed himself some. I don't want to spoil it for those that have not read all the books yet but he did finally grow up some and become more responsible. I hate that they have him addicted to V. I hope he kicks that habit soon and I don't understand why Lafayette convinced him to try it again.

I'm definitely ready for more Eric. Bring on Eric!

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Lotsa great comments that I agree with!
In the tv series, Sookie did mention that she was a virgin (I think to Bill). I was also shocked to see Anna's boobage and was a little disappointed w/their lovemaking scene. I also don't remember him biting her the first time they made love...

I don't like the Sam/Tara thing.

And I'm looking forward to next week's episode where the evil perv uncle is "taken care of". Did anyone else notice that in the next episode scenes?

Next week's episode looks like it's gonna be jam packed action!

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) I'm not 100% sure the love scene with Bill and Sookie is over. I think you may see more of the things you were missing next week. Just my opinion.

I thought it was very romantic in front of the fireplace with all the candles. I do wish that it had been at her house though.

message 33: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Last night, my husband, Greg, and I finally got around to watching this episode (Sunday and Monday night are all about the football). Surprisingly, I think Greg is starting to get in to this series. He asked me twice yesterday if it was a vampire doing the murders.

Sadly, it has been too many years since I read the first book and I can't remember! It is really bugging me! Greg said I should reread it, but I told him that maybe it is better this way. Suspense and all.

We both laughed that the "girl time" involved Lafayette. I do believe Lafayette is my favorite character... he cracks me up. Which makes me sad if the show follows the book about him. Don't you dare, Alan Ball!

message 34: by Nicole (new)

Theresa, I couldn't remember either and someone gave me a really good hint, but I don't remember which string it is in!

message 35: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 25 comments I cant remember either. shoot I should totally re read it now. Or I kinda agree with theresa it might be nice to be surprised again. ugh so conflicted.

message 36: by Larissa (new)

Larissa HQR Novel... yeahm, I kinda gotta agree with that. And what's with the flowing fairy dress? Looks like a wedding dress I tried on years ago..... as for running through the graveyard? Is that the vampire eqlivent of running through a field of flowers?

I miss not seeing Sookie bond with Sam cleaning the house- and that's what led to her sleeping in her Gran's bed. Kinda wish they had been in Gram's bed instead of on the carpet.

As for the acting- you have to remember : this is the same girl who won an Oscar just before she was 10, and has other nominations since. Like or not, Anna is Sookie as far as HBO is concerned (even if she sems a little young to play her since Sookie is 25 in the first book, and Anna is 26! - Yes, the librarian looked it up!)

Beginning to not be so annoyed by Tara - the so called ficticious character in this TV series. I'm having to separate her from the Tara in the books - it's too confusing.

And the development of Sam's character? Odd. Not sure what I think about where they're going with that!

Ewh- how dare we have to "meet" creepy-old uncle in the TV version. Can't he just up and die already?

And don't ask me about Jason -I'm wishing we could have a Jason-free episode any time now!

message 37: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Nicole, I believe he did bite her - but only at climax... as he did just about everytime until she asked if he "always had to do that." Remeber her talking about vitamin supplements and every 2 or 3 days finally feeling stronger in bk. 1?

message 38: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Stacy, what song? By "Hem?" Clue me in....

message 39: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Greg and I were laughing when she was running through the graveyard in her princess dress. Greg looked over at me and said, "Is she dumb? She doesn't have shoes on... she's going to stub her toe on a gravestone." Heh. :)

We were both a little surprised at the Anna booby shots. Perhaps it was HBO's requirement for their lead actress?

And can I just say a big "ew, gross!" to the last shot of the blood gushing out and Bill's tongue lolling about in it. I could have done without that visual.

message 40: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Theresa- LOL. Silly old gravestones!

Speaking of - did anyone else like that they showed Sookie finding Bill's gravestone in this ep.? Sleepin' with a dead man! Heavens! :)

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Hmmm, that does sound vaguely familiar (that Bill bit Sookie the first time they made love). It's been so long since I've read the books!

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle "..... as for running through the graveyard? Is that the vampire eqlivent of running through a field of flowers?"

Snort! I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Awesome comment!

message 43: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Oct 15, 2008 01:37PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments HQR Novel... yeahm, I kinda gotta agree with that. And what's with the flowing fairy dress? Looks like a wedding dress I tried on years ago..... as for running through the graveyard? Is that the vampire eqlivent of running through a field of flowers?

Lol so funny I remember watching that scene thinking Fabio was going to spring from a bush and say " I can't believe it's not buttah"

And don't ask me about Jason -I'm wishing we could have a Jason-free episode any time now!

IA we just need a break from him. I could not believe he B*** smacked Sookie like that.

message 44: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Thanks Jael & Michelle - guess I was just feeling witty at the moment I wrote that! Perhaps even well rested!

And Jael - LMAO! Fabio! How perfect - maybe he would want to play a Vamp too?? Nah - BAD IDEA!

message 45: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Theresa, I read them last year and I do remember the killer. I'll tell you if you want to know but I'll do it by message. It's a shocker of who actually was doing the killing. I never would have guessed or suspected that person.

And I want Lafayette to stay in the series but I have a feeling he won't especially since Gran ended up murdered. That sucked so much to see!

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ranata, thank you for the offer, but I'm going to decline for now so I can watch with "fresh eyes" with my husband. :)

message 47: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 25 comments Larissa you can listen to the music on the website but I think that particular song was playing when sookie and Tara were talking on the bed.

message 48: by kelly (new)

kelly {BookCrushin} (artichoke8) havent really posted before but i have been trying to follow the group...

i just have to say -- i cried when gran died and when sookie was at the funeral and then again at the pecan pie.

i said i knew shes going to show some emotion eventually...a lot of people were mad she wasnt more upset, but i think she was numb, anyone whos lost someone sometimes its better to not think of it and get it all out when you finally come to grip with the loss.

amazing episode!! and finally sookie and bill getting to kiss and do...it (as sookie would say!)
and i have to say i was ecstatic we got to see some of anna p's skin! woo shes so hot.

message 49: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Sookie was exactly the same way in the book after Gran died. She just did what she had to do cuz you know Jason wasn't going to. I'm glad Tara kicked his ass out for hitting Sookie. Loser.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah way to go Tara. I couldn't believe he hit her like that. What a dick!
I wasn't upset when Gran died only because I read the books and I was expecting it. But I was mad when she could hear what the people were thinking at the funeral. Everyone blaming her... it's just wrong. I mean we all know that's who was intended to get killed but still... they shouldn't blame Sookie like that.

« previous 1