Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Books > What are you reading now?

Comments (showing 4786-4835)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 96 97

message 4835: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1291 comments Mod
Member-Authors.....it is time to nominate your very own books for our November/December Featured Member-Author Group Read.

Nominate Here

message 4834: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 4081 comments Mod
It's time to nominate our December group read theme. Drop by the discussion thread and make your suggestion by October 25th.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4833: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Oct 10, 2017 09:47PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 4081 comments Mod
Our November Random Read Group Read poll is up. Drop by and vote by October 18th.

November Random Read Group Read Poll

message 4832: by Robert (new)

Robert Rapoza | 11 comments I'm splitting time between The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone #11) by Steve Berry and Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) by Clive Cussler which my son seems to have borrowed.

message 4831: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Our twice annual random read month is up again. So for November, you can pick any book you want that meets the other group read guidelines. Drop by the nomination thread and make a suggestion for the book you want to read in November. The poll will go up on October 8th.

November 2017 Random Read Group Read Nominations

Also, drop by and join us for the October Action Horror Group Read: The Last Wish.

October 2017 Action Horror Group Read The Last Wish

message 4830: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

John wrote: "As the Koh-i-Noor diamond was in the news recently, I decided I'd read 'The Moonstone' by Wlikie Collins, a novel based on that jewel that's so beautiful but is thought by some to be cursed. Collin..."

That was a good book. Enjoyed it a lot.

message 4829: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) | 362 comments Dark Tower series. Freaking awesome
Movie. 2 hrs of my life I'm never getting back. I could have used that time watching paint dry

message 4828: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 114 comments Tracy wrote: "I really need to finish the Dark Tower series. Can't wait for the movie."

I heard the movie was not that good. How far have you gotten in the series?

message 4827: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 114 comments I recently read:
The Gunslinger (3rd time)
Needful Things and
Gwendy's Button Box

Now I'm reading The Girl in the Maze. OK so far, just a little confusing with time jumping.

message 4826: by John (new)

John Devalle | 12 comments As the Koh-i-Noor diamond was in the news recently, I decided I'd read 'The Moonstone' by Wlikie Collins, a novel based on that jewel that's so beautiful but is thought by some to be cursed. Collins novel is regarded as a classic, but I couldn't get on with it. I don't think I've come across a book so laboriously written, and such hard labour to read. So I gave up long before the end.

message 4825: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

It's time for our vote for our October Action/Horror group read. The poll will close on September 16th.

October 2017 Action/Horror Group Read Poll

message 4824: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Monica wrote: "Lies ripped open.
I've been reading romance for over a year now and am just getting back to action and adventure."

This series is awesome. Definitely one of my favorite UF series.

message 4823: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Monica wrote: "Lies ripped open.
I've been reading romance for over a year now and am just getting back to action and adventure."

I read the first in that series Crimes Against Magic quite a while ago, and have been meaning to read more since I really enjoyed it. Good choice for your action/adventure return Monica!

message 4822: by Monica (new)

Monica | 12 comments Lies ripped open.
I've been reading romance for over a year now and am just getting back to action and adventure.

message 4821: by Magiccats (new)

Magiccats | 229 comments Just finished The Force by Don Winslow. It was an excellent, excellent read.

message 4820: by Tim (new)

Tim Smith | 2 comments Lisa P wrote: "Tim wrote: "I am currently reading The Craig Kennedy Scientific Detective Megapack (R): 25 Classic Tales of Detection by Arthur B. Reeve and [book:Dolores Claiborne|..."

I'm not a horror fan either, but this one is described more as a psychological thriller.

message 4819: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Tim wrote: "I am currently reading The Craig Kennedy Scientific Detective Megapack (R): 25 Classic Tales of Detection by Arthur B. Reeve and Dolores Claiborne by [..."

I'm not a Stephen King horror fan, but Dolores Claiborne has peaked my interest!

message 4817: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

It's time to nominate our group read for the spooky month of October. The theme is Action Horror. Drop by the thread and make your suggestion before September 8th.

October 2017 Action Horror Group Read Nominations Thread

Also, our September group read is The Black Company. Drop by the join the discussion:

The Black Company Group Read

message 4816: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

It's time to vote for our September/October Featured Member-Author Group Read. This poll is open to all A/A members and will close on August 30!

*Please note that Books/Authors that did not meet the nomination criteria were not included in the final poll.

message 4815: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll for our September group read is up and we're nominating the group read theme for October. Drop by to participate:

September Gritty Action Fantasy Group Read

October Group Read Theme Nominations

message 4814: by Greg (new)

Greg Wagner | 4 comments The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore
It is a funny take on Christmas and murder in a small town, with a misguided angel appearance and a hilarious zombie apocalypse ending, sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.

message 4813: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (PirateGhost) | 5322 comments Mod
I've finished 1-7 of The Tome of Bill - Volume 1 by Rick Gualtieri. It was entertaining.

I've been reading (well, listening) to some S.M. Stirling and his odd dystopian alternate future books. Dies the Fire (Emberverse, #1) by S.M. Stirling and Island in the Sea of Time (Nantucket, #1) by S.M. Stirling. Both enjoyable reads.

I managed book six of MHI, came out in Audio-book form recently.

Some Sci-fi with Barbarians at the Gates (The Decline and Fall of the Galactic Empire, #1) by Christopher G. Nuttall which was reminiscent of Honor Harrington by Webber.

message 4812: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Our September Gritty Action Fantasy group read nomination period it open. Drop by and make your suggestion before August 23rd:

message 4811: by Pete (new)

Pete Simpson | 6 comments Glory of Rome by Douglas Jackson. An entertaining sword and sandals adventure set some years after Boudicca's rebellion.

message 4810: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Our September/October 2017 Featured Member-Author Group Read nomination thread is open. This is the place for our member-authors to nominate their own books for a group read.

Link Here

message 4809: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 105 comments Just started The Purity of Vengeance (Department Q, #4) by Jussi Adler-Olsen and already I think I have the gist of the story figured out. We'll see.

message 4808: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Matthew wrote: "Just finished Odessa Sea by Clive Cussler while at the beach for a week. Nice easy read!"

Can't go wrong with Cussler, in my humble opinion!

message 4807: by Matthew (new)

Matthew  | 3 comments Just finished Odessa Sea by Clive Cussler while at the beach for a week. Nice easy read!

message 4806: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 115 comments I have been in a Linda Castillo binge for a while. Really good reads.

message 4805: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 115 comments Scott wrote: "I recently reread American Gods. Great book.

This morning, I finished John Dies at the End.

Now, I'm going to reread The Gunslinger."

I really need to finish the Dark Tower series. Can't wait for the movie.

message 4804: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

We have a runoff poll for the August group read. It will close in 2 days:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 4803: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 105 comments I am currently reading A Conspiracy of Faith (Department Q, #3) by Jussi Adler-Olsen the third Department Q book I've read, though this one is really #2 in the series. I like the main characters and the bad guy is really a bad guy.

message 4802: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Our August Vintage Action Group Read Poll is open. It closes on July 25th!

message 4801: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 114 comments I recently reread American Gods. Great book.

This morning, I finished John Dies at the End.

Now, I'm going to reread The Gunslinger.

message 4800: by Sonny (new)

Sonny | 14 comments Currently reading Cities of Gold: A Journey Across the American Southwest by Douglas Preston.

message 4799: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Our August group read nominations thread is open. The theme is Vintage Action. Drop by and make your selection by July 18th.

message 4798: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up for the August group read theme. Vote by July 10th.

message 4797: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

We're selecting out August group read theme right now. Drop by and nominate one by July 2nd.

message 4796: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 3 comments Taking a bit of a break and reading the Dominic Grey series by Layton Green for a palette cleanser. Compelling characters and interesting premises.

message 4795: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The July Technothriller group read poll is up. It will close on June 15th.

message 4794: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Our July Group Read Nominations thread is open. The theme is Techno-Thriller. Drop by before June 8th to make a suggestion!

message 4793: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 656 comments Lisa, I wouldn't have believed some of the shootings if they'd been fictional. Definitely a wild west.

message 4792: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Jim wrote: "Cowboys and Gangsters: Stories of an Untamed Southwest by Samuel K Dolan is a nonfiction account of the early 1900s along the Mexican border from Texas to Arizona...."

I keep telling myself that I need to start reading more nonfiction. I always seem to enjoy it when I do!

message 4791: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 656 comments Cowboys and Gangsters: Stories of an Untamed Southwest by Samuel K Dolan is a nonfiction account of the early 1900s along the Mexican border from Texas to Arizona. It mostly documents the crazy period of Prohibition. The old meeting the new, cowboys chasing bootleggers with cars, lots of shooting, & other violence, but all told in a factual way through newspaper accounts & reports. Quite interesting. I gave it a 4 star review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4790: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Scott wrote: "I finished Armada and The Hike.

Now I am rereading American Gods."

How did you like Armada Scott? Cline's Ready Player One is one of my all time favorites, but I haven't read Armada yet...I know there are mixed reviews.

message 4789: by Scott (new)

Scott (SHissong) | 114 comments I finished Armada and The Hike.

Now I am rereading American Gods.

message 4788: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Alrighty folks. Our June Random Read Group Read Poll is up. Drop by and vote by May 14th!

message 4787: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

It's time to nominate our June group read. It's Random Read month. Drop by the thread by May 6th to make a nomination suggestion.

message 4786: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Our May Monster Hunters Group Read Poll is open. It will close on April 28th!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 96 97
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Event (other topics)
Creepers (other topics)
Dangerous Passion (other topics)
Ruthless Game (other topics)
Sandstorm (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilbur Smith (other topics)
John Sandford (other topics)