Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Where to buy books?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Rachel (rachelbrandt) | 7 comments Where do you buy your books? I am so poor that I need to find a cheaper alternative.

message 2: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego Half.com is a pretty cool alternative. If you like the online thing, that is...

I prefer to wander bookstores, though, and ever since I was a Lit. major in college I have bought my books (as much as possible) at used bookstores. They rock!

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Stephanie | 11 comments Bookmooch.com is a great alternative to purchasing books as well, if you have some to trade. All you are paying is the price to ship a book to someone else and if it's a paperback, the media rate is really cheap.

message 4: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Doina | 58 comments i love amazon.com for cheap books. they have a very good selection and it's not often when i cannot find what i am looking for there. it's very easy for me to track down series that i want to purchase all the books for, and most of the times i find books under $1 plus shipping and handling (which i think is $3.99). or, if i can't wait for the paperback to come out, i get hardcovers for a bargain price there too. and of course, bookstores that sell both new and used books can be found in most cities.

message 5: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 19 comments WWW.COZYBOOKCELLAR.COM

Great low prices and FREE shipping when you spend $25 on books.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I like to go to Borders or Barnes&Noble. For my lesbian romance novels I shop at www.bellabooks.com.

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Meghan We started a quarterly book swap at my old job. Basically you bring in your books you no longer want. How many books you bring in determine how many books you can take. If you don't bring any books in (or you want more than you brought), you pay. We priced it at $1 for hard cover, 50 cents for soft. Any left over books and all moneys were donated to a local library. It became really popular and I got some great finds. It's also a great way to clean out your shelves of those never-will-read (again) books.

message 8: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Rachael | 23 comments Usually Barnes and Noble and Target.

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Costco is a good place too...they have a book section. They are somewhat cheaper then the bookstores.

message 10: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Stephanie,

I recently joined book mooch and it is awesome. Now I can get free books and save my mom a lot of money..lol.

message 11: by Meiso (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Meiso | 5 comments Local library book sales are great. I went to four in my local area over the past month. Most charge an average of 50 cents for paperbacks and $1-2 for hardcovers. Most are also multi-day sales where the prices are cut as the sale progresses.

These sales have everything from classics to cookbooks to foreign language books to fiction released this year.

One of the most recent ones I went to had a deal on the last day of the sale where you bought paper shopping bags at the door for $2 each and stuffed into them as many books as you could. You could even get your money back if you didn't find anything you liked. On the last day, obviously the selection is not as great, but you can pick up duplicate copies of books you already have to trade on bookmooch or somewhere else.

I recently found the site booksalefinder.com. It seems useful, but it didn't list two of the sales in my area, one of those sales being very large, so I would also recommend calling local libraries or visiting their web sites.

message 12: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments I've noticed that if you check Amazon's and Chapter's Bargain sections you can get some of your fave authors cheap. Course that doesn't help out your fave authors!

message 13: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) I own a used bookstore and this is the best place to buy books. You can save tons of money buy trading in books and using store credit to get what you want. I recommend you look in your yellow pages or get online and search for used bookstores in your area.
good luck
Wes
Price Right Books

message 14: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Stephanie | 11 comments Ashley-
After bookmooch I found a few more as well...paperbackswap.com and swaptree.com are both along the same lines as bookmooch, with actually a better selection. Try those as well! And yeah, anything I can do to keep a little money in my pocket is good!

message 15: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 19 comments I found another on-line used bookstore that offers FREE shipping on orders over $30.
http://www.mysteryhousebooks.com/inde...

They have lots of genres, not just mysteries. I plano n placing my first order with them later this week or next week. But, I thought I'd share. (They have lots of duplicates it looks like, so i thought I'd take the risk that someone might buy what I wanted, lol)

Christy

P.S. I'll be adding a list of my favourite on-line sellers to my website soon...check it out, some day (hopefully) in the not so far off future

www.geocities.com/murdermostbritish

message 16: by Craig (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Craig (phillipwardlaw) | 1 comments Lately I buy from http://www.ebay.com

Cheapest book I bought there was $0.01 plus 4 dollars shiping and handling

message 17: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 19 comments I've made a list of my favourite on-line booksellers, including eBay sellers. I look for the best shipping and handling rates along with great prices...I buy a lot of books but I still need to eat!

www.geocities.com/murdermostbritish/b...

message 18: by Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I usually buy books at yard sales, thrift stores, & used book stores (including my beloved Half Price Books), occassionally, I'll head over to Borders if I can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere. I'm a Rewards member, so I get small discounts here & there.

I usually buy textbooks from half.com.

message 19: by Courtney (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Courtney Stirrat While I definitely buy books at B&N, Amazon, and Left Bank -- my neighborhood bookseller, I have had remarkable luck finding a whole slew of wonderful books at Goodwill. Initially, my partner and I that we loved, but pretty quickly we found tons of classics and modern lit greats. This is why I find the to-read shelf so helpful! It reminds me of the books I need to keep a look out for. I think I found three on my list this Saturday as well as an incredible first edition vintage golden book. Plus, the books are SO cheap that you can buy 20 or 30 for the price of one trade paperback at B&N. Love it!

message 20: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Kim (kimbers81) I love QPB.COM quality paperback books.

message 21: by Fenixbird (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 56 comments Hello Stephanie/Group!
Please tell me more about this "book mooch". Is it a group book exchange? etc?

Um...we have the local Bookman's used books videos & video gaming sell & exchange (Almost a Dharma (Dharma & Greg)..except no coffee!!!)

For the coffee, then there are now (finally Phoenix is not a old town!!)..Borders Books & Gifts and/or Barnes & Nobles...complete with other gifts...and sometimes (some locations, like our ritzy "Biltmore" mall & #5 national mall "Scottsdale Fashion Square"....local guest musicians visit (especially around the holidays!!)

Teresa

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

We've got a discount store here in State College called "Ollies." It's huge and has just about anything anyone would need. From dog food to clothes to patio furniture to books. They have stacks and tables and shelves and shelves of books!

The only downside is that they don't organize the books in any way except in the categories of non-fiction and fiction. Nothing is alphabetized. You have to have patience to dig through the chaos to find a gem or two.

A couple of months ago I bought a pristine hardcover copy of "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" for $3.99. Had I waited until today, I could've had it for $1.99. They had stacks of copies! But I wound up getting "The Book Thief" (again an excellent hardcover copy) for $3.99 and a nice copy of "The Little Girl Who Was Too Fond of Matches," also for $3.99.

Occasionally they'll even have a classic jammed in there somewhere. Again, with patience, you can get some great buys. It's a nice alternative when I can't afford to go to B&N :-)

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateduttera) All these suggestions are so awesome, I've already started a list of new places to look. Does anyone have any good ideas for finding out of print books? I've been trying to find one for ages that I need for research for the novel I'm writing, and it's been really hard.

message 24: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Yes, another vote for Goodwill or Salvation Army. The prices are crazy cheap and 90% of the time, they have what I'm looking for.

I also have a couple of secondhand booksellers and a flea market I'll go to, as well.

If I still can't find what I'm looking for, then I hit the new stores or order online.

I just recently made my first purchase through Barnes & Nobles.com. Usually, I use Amazon.com or Half.com, but I figured I'd spread a little of the green around this time of year...

message 25: by Gary (new)

Gary | 3 comments i tried bookmooch — got request for my ballard interview and some other book — but then forgot my password. so i clicked on the [forgot password] button — twice, two separate days — & never heard back.

i often read books at bookstore, usually city lights

message 26: by Summer Dawn (last edited Dec 17, 2007 12:45AM) (new)

Summer Dawn (lunarbeauty) | 5 comments I used to love used bookstores and would have a hard time not leaving with a bag full of books. And at the moment used bookstores are not an option, nor is even sitting in a bigger bookstore. Well not true, I guess I could learn Italian a little faster and read books in Italian!

So now I buy books at the PX on post. They have a few books, you can also get them to order books for you if you want something not there. But if I am going to have to wait for it to come in I might as well use amazon, my first choice in online book shopping or Barnes and Nobles.

Summer

message 27: by Brent (last edited Dec 17, 2007 08:07AM) (new)

Brent | 12 comments I love books and am continually reading at least several different books. One day I came across a network of individual book store owners that allows people to actually have their own online bookstore. I now get wholesale prices on the books that I buy, and I also get an option to help determine the direction the website takes in its growth. The best thing is that because it's a business, I get to count many of my expenses like house payments and internet as a business write off. I can even write off the cost of a percentage of the books I buy. It is also fun to have friends or families come to me to get the books they want.