Best Teen Books discussion

Summer Reading Ideas

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:13AM) (new)

David | 5 comments A school teacher, I am always looking for more titles to recommend to 8th graders. I'd love to hear your recommendations.

message 2: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Sally | 3 comments David, are you interested in any specific genre? Realistic fiction? Historical fiction? Fantasy/sci-fi?

message 3: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
David Lubar - a writer has a guys list of books on his website (he wrote Dunk and Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie)
Since I am a High School librarian (grades 10-12), I will check out some other titles and send them to you!

BJ

message 4: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

David | 5 comments Not really, Sally. I teach English, so I am more interested in quality writing than in genre. Clearly, there is a lot of YA lit out there, and the field seems to be burgeoning. I would like some ideas that could help me separate the sterling from the slag: new releases, contemporary classics, even hoary favorites for young readers on the cusp of high school.

message 5: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

David | 5 comments Thanks, BJ
I liked the conceit of Ender's Game and found myself caught up in the adventurous storytelling. It has been a popular sci-fi pick among students and always appears on my recommended list.

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Melissa Robinson One of my favorites is the Gospel According to Larry. I've never given it to a teen in my library who didn't like it. Our 8th grade teachers added to our summer reading list and it's been a big hit.

Also, check out Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. There's a little something in it for just about everyone.

message 7: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

David | 5 comments Thanks, Melissa. I'll pick up these titles this weekend. Now that school is out I have time to read again!

message 8: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Katie | 1 comments Feed by Anderson is great recent YA Lit.

message 9: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and Dragonflight by Anne MacCaffrey(???) are also good reads and Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher and finally--- Ron Koertege wrote Shakespeare Bats Clean-up about a boy who breaks his leg and starts writing poetry (suggested by his dad)as he misses the baseball season. It is free verse and I have booktalked it to our reluctants readers and the boys have checked it out!

BJ

message 10: by Elisabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Elisabeth | 2 comments Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is great, about a future where everyone goes through surgery as soon as they hit sixteen to become what is biologically determined as pretty.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is about a modern kid who discovers he's being chased by monsters because his father is a Greek god, has lots of action and will grab adventure-fantasy fans, as will Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan. (A good pick for Artemis Fowl fans!)

Also looking at what I've read recently and the YA summer reads booklist I'm putting together for my library: Fairest by Gail Carson Levine, The Isabel Factor by Gayle Friesen, Skinnybones and the Wrinkle Queen by Glen Huser, Born to Rock by Gordon Korman, Terrier by Tamora Pierce, Safe House by James Heneghan, Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan, Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins, and Mortal Engines by Phillip Reeve are all good reads in and around a grade eight interest level.

message 11: by Misty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Misty I teach 9th grade English, and I find that most of my male "non-readers" are at least willing to try Gary Paulsen. They usually decide to read a second one...

message 12: by Misty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Misty Twilight, by Stefenie Meyers, was a really popular book with my 9th graders (especially the females). I, too, loved this book! It made me want to rush out and find a vampire of my very own!

I also read Marley and Me by John Grogan last summer. I posted a review on my school's blog, and it became an instant hit with students and teachers alike.

message 13: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 2 comments I have to agree with Elisabeth and strongly recommend the Uglies trilogy -- it just so perfectly taps into common teen issues about beauty and belonging. The second book, Pretties, is even better than the first.

Gary Paulsen is also a great idea: Hatchet, in which a spoiled boy survives an airplane crash and teaches himself to survive on a deserted island, is a fantastic read and guys will go for it. I also recommend The Goats by Brock Cole, which begins on an island where an unpopular boy and girl have been stripped and abandoned by their campmates.

And I always loved Ellen Raskin's intelligent puzzle-mysteries at that age: Figs & Phantoms, The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel), and most of all The Westing Game.

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Jackie (MsWolff) | 1 comments A few hits in my 7th and 8th grade classrooms (all boys) this year have been Gordon Korman's Son of the Mob, a fun, modern adaptation of Romeo and Juliet; Ned Vicinni's Be More Chill; Gary Soto's Afterlife, Sharon Draper's Tears of a Tiger and Rommiette y Julio, The Watsons go to Birmingham (author I don't remember) and Chris Crutcher's Whale Talk. All of the above mentioned authors are pretty prolific YA authors.

message 15: by Tereza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Tereza | 1 comments I teach older students, but have found for my boys Of Mice and Men, A Brave New World and the Giver are really great and would work for 8th graders, I think.
For my girls: Romeo and Juliet, the Secret Life of Bees and Chocolat
For fun for all I support the recommendations of The Uglies Trilogy, Philip Pullman's trilogy, C. S. Lewis, and anything by Neil Gaiman.
I know the last category may not seem like "quality" but if I can get my kids to voluntarily read these titles without a paper due at the end, I feel I've succeeded in some small way at making thier world a better place.

message 16: by colleen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

colleen | 2 comments wow. the mysterious disappearance of leon (i mean noel) was one of my favorites! i read that over and over as a young teen. and the westing game was great, too. i haven't thought about those books in years. thanks!

message 17: by L. Layale (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

L. Layale (Layalelia) | 2 comments I'm in 11th grade. I remember a few of the books that we've read in 8th grade so most of the list below is books I read in 9th grade, you could also try the ones read in 9th grade but that all depends on what type of school ciriculum you have.

8th Grade/ 9th Grade
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Ender's Game
Perks Of Being A Wall Flower, this one I read in 9th grade it is a bit mature so you' probably want to check with the kids parents first.
Nothing But The Truth an Avi Avi book.
Hard Love
Diary Of Anne Frank
Romiette & Julio
Romio & Juliet
The Phillip Pullman Trilogy (this was a summer reading , well the Golden Compass and I loved the book so much that I read the rest of the trilogy before I finished my assignment XP)

I can't remember all the books I've read in 8th grade simply because it was about 3 years ago and I'm a book fanatic so I've read more than just the books given to me from school.

message 18: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments You are the kind of reader every librarian dreams of! I loved the Pullman trilogy but every time I booktalk it no one will read it because of the length. I am a librarian and I booktalk to reluctant readers. They have loved all of Sharon Draper's books like Romiette and Julio. I loved Ender's game as well. Tell mew some other teen books you think reluctant readers would enjoy!

message 19: by Kelaine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Kelaine | 1 comments I booktalked What Happened to Cass McBride by Gale Giles to a mixed 7th-8th grade class and it was an instant hit. Themes of suicide, popularity, bullying (both peer and parent) and anger management, wrapped in a psychological mystery/thriller. It's short and good for reluctant readers, but my "librarian dream" readers liked it too!

message 20: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments I know I ordered that so I gues the Cass McBride book will be one of the lst I read! Thanks for the recommnedation.