Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Fake HP Book going around

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm not sure if this is an issue for the Good Librarians group but I am in the Harry Potter group and theres talk about a "Fake" Harry Potter book going around and I'm just curious, wouldn't that be illegal since JK has Harry Potter book copyrighted?

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 38 comments Yep, it sure would.

There's a lot more than one fake edition, though. There were a number of bootleg editions on the internet before Book 7 came out, and I seem to recall there were a bunch of unauthorized Chinese editions. I'm sure there are approximately a zillion others, even not counting fanfic. That sort of thing is pretty much inevitable with a property that popular.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Is anything going to be done about it?

message 4: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 38 comments Well, I'm sure her lawyers are aware of it and are doing what they're paid to be doing to protect her interests, but it's not exactly easy to squelch bootlegs or unauthorized editions that are being passed around the internet, for obvious reasons.

But you know, you're right -- this is probably off topic for this group.

message 5: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Jason (gireesh42) | 1 comments It is sort of off topic...unless someone wants to add the fake book to their read list. It's not illegal to have read it, right?

message 6: by Arun (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Arun K | 8 comments you can read it but the issue is that it isn't really being marketed as a book.

it is just a document as far as I've seen.

we can go into far ranging discussions on what is and isn't a book but at best it's an e-book until someone prints it out and binds it.