Harry Potter discussion

Questions > General HP Questions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Michele | 20 comments If Harry's mom was born of Muggles does that mean that Harry isn't pureblood even thought both his parents were magical folk?

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yes. As Rowling puts it, there are very few pureblood Wizards these days. Almost everyone has Muggle blood, even some wizards who like to pretend they're pure (like the Malfoys and Blacks). Remember how Sirius' mother just cursed people off the family tree if they married a muggle? That's what most "pure" wizards do. They conveniently forget about the muggle blood mixed in with their heritage.

Also, since one of the prevailing themes is a type of muggle racism, I think it was important to have the hero, the Boy Who Lived and saved the whole world, as a half blood.

message 3: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments as well, as the villain, tom riddle, a halfblood, pretending to be a pureblood.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments This really confused me in the first book, but since reading all the others I understand.

message 5: by Tor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Tor | 8 comments Yup.
Though I don't think any one ever made a big deal that Harry was only half and half.

And like Peng said, even voldemort, who declares he hated half-bloods and mudbloods, is one himself.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments i don't really remember Voldemort saying he hates half-bloods but yeah he really really hates muggleborns and mudbloods. i think the reason he hates non-magical blood is because of his father left his mother to die. you can actually see the disappointment and human side of him when he found out that his mother was the one with magical blood and died because of the father. i actually pitied him. Lol.

message 7: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Kenzie I felt bad for the kid Riddle. After his hardships how could he not have turned into Lord Voldemort.