We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Illegal Immigration

Comments Showing 1-50 of 217 (217 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I think we should grant amnesty to all Mexicans/Latinos and other immigrants, for these reasons:

1. It gonna cost a lot to send them back, and they'll just keep coming.

2. They aren't paying taxes and yet the kids go to public schools and such

3. Manufacturers take advantage of illegal labor and totally rip off the immigrants and pay them cents an hour

and finally, I think we should help Mexico deal with its problems, so that they will start wanting to live in their home country. (How to do this, I haven't a clue)

message 2: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi I'm fine with anyone who wants to come in here, but they should at least do it legally. I know a man from Guatamala and he's really nice but he's illegal. he wishes that he'd have come over legal in the first place now ecause he got kicked out of his job because of it and his wife had to go to work full time to support him and their 2 toddlers. He can't get legal now unless a voting citizen vouches for him and his wife can't because she's directaly related to him through marriage. her dad refuses to vouch for him because he's racest and disowned her when she married him. its sad but all true. there's people like this all over the US
I don't mind them coming here, but it just causes too much trouble for the immagrants and their families for them to not get in legally.

message 3: by Mystery Girl (new)

Mystery Girl (mysterygirl) | 90 comments I agree. I also know an illegal immigrant. He really wishes he had come legally but at the moment there isn't anything he can do about it. He originally came over for just a few months to get some money for his family but his family got spoiled and wanted him to stay and get more money. He has since gotten a divorce because he wanted to bring up his family legally and they didn't want to come and he didn't want to go back. So he has a delimma

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Yeah, it's easy to say we should send them back until you meet an illegal immigrant are you think: "I don't want to ruin their lives!" because once they get kicked out they can pretty much never come back.

♪♪♪☺☻♥♥☺☻Lola♪♪♪☺☻♥ | 13 comments I don't know any illegal immigrant and I don't care if they come here or not but I think they should really 1.Pay their taxes 2.Learn English

message 6: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi part of the process of becoming legal is that they have to take some sort of test aver American history and current government practices. They have to know enough English to take this test. After thay take the test they get an American social security number, they cant be taxed unless they have one. so they don't actually have any taxes to pay unless they are legal, Laura.

♪♪♪☺☻♥♥☺☻Lola♪♪♪☺☻♥ | 13 comments Oh, I didn't know that. Did I sound mean? I didn't mean to, if I did!

message 8: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi i agree but it is useful to know more than one language. did u know that in all other westernised countries that have good schools english is taught starting in the 1st or 2nd grade?

message 9: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments They should do it legally. It's not fair if they don't. It's okay if they're from Cuba because they don't really have a choice, but our economy really sucks right now, and we don't need people sneaking across the border. Americans are losing their jobs, we don't really have any opportunities right now for illegal immigrants.

message 10: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments Exactly. I mean if things are bad enough over there for them to swim across the ocean just to get away from it. It's not their fault they can't leave legally. A lot of the illegal immigrants are taking our jobs because the greedy people offering jobs give them to them because they know they can get away with paying them like nothing. That's SO wrong!

message 11: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 84 comments it's illegal.
What is there to debate?

message 12: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments The law was meant to be interpreted, not followed exactly under every condition. Under certain circumstances it's okay to break the rules.

message 13: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments All kids can go to school. It's the law.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kbhill) | 2 comments I think we should make it easier for people to came here legally; or, if they're just coming over for a season to work on farms, then we should have a program that lets officials know of their presence, and their intention to go back when the season's over.

Kicking them out is stupid, because they will do jobs that no one else wants to do.

They do need to learn English if their staying for an extended period of time, though. I don't mean to seem rude, but this IS America, and we speak English.

message 15: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments I'm saying the laws shouldn't always be followed. There are always exceptions. stealing is illegal, but if your starving to death, why can't you steal food to survive? Rosa Parks broke the law when she refused to give up her seat. Was that fair? Was she a horrible person for doing so? Or were the people who hid the Jews from the Nazis at fault? It was against the law. But sometimes you have to break the laws to do what's right. cuba is governed by an oppressive dictator. You don't know what it's like to not be free. Americans are really lucky. If you don't have the chance to come here legally, I see no problem breaking the law to do it, if it's your only way out. But I agree with Katherine on the speaking English part though.

message 16: by Mystery Girl (new)

Mystery Girl (mysterygirl) | 90 comments Hey Jai- though I agree that they should learn English it's not because America is the leading country. English is just the international language. England could argue that since it's "english" and they were speaking it first that they are the reason it is the international language.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments i personally we think we should take them all out and secure our borders

but i know it's probably not going to happen

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

even though I'm pretty liberal, I don't think my views on immigration are...

the first thing I would do is fix the system. obviously our system for turning people into new citizens in terrible, or else there wouldn't be such a backlog to drive people to come in illegally. I know someone who has been waiting 10 years to get his son a green card. so that would be the first step... but I think all illegal immigrants should be deported. then they could come back through legally.

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments yeah but im wondering how much more space we'd have if all the illegal immigrants were kicked out

and sometimes i think why don't we just take over mexico and make it into part of america (a paradise?)

but too much money is the problem

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments yeah i think if we weren't drowning in debt that would be a good idea

(their military can't be THAT good)

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments like ask them nicely?

"Hey, half your country wants to come over here anyway so why don't we just join together?"

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure Mexico would love that.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments but then our already screwed up economy would have to support more...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure they would be pissed about how great we think we are.

message 25: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments probably

we could try canada too

"Whenever I went to Canada, I got the impression we could take it over in a few days"
-Jon Steward

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments they wouldn't like it im sure

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz no, really?

message 28: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments haha. nice.

message 29: by Conor (last edited Feb 23, 2009 08:16PM) (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments I actually like Canada. Sure it'd be cool if it was part of the us, but I actually think that would make it worse

It's cool cuz it's alwYs been the liberal nation we can bAse ourselves against.
They freed slaves way before us, they limit military spending, they have stricter gun laws, and they allow gay marriage.
Oh and universal healthcare OF course

message 30: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments but there is no reason why i ever want america to be like canada

let canada do it's own thing

like Canadian idiot says... ;)

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) dragon_eyes wrote: "I'm fine with anyone who wants to come in here, but they should at least do it legally. I know a man from Guatamala and he's really nice but he's illegal. he wishes that he'd have come over legal i..."

I agree

Zarha, the groove bringer | 67 comments It's difficult to get into the US, I was talking to a man from Mexico and he told me that it's harder to get into the united states then Europe. If we want people to come in legally then we need to make it less difficult.

message 33: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
It's strict because too many people try to get past it. People can't meet the standard , so why should we lower it? Making our standards lower, and lower the type of people that can get in.

It's not a "right" to immigrate here. I'm sorry if your country sucks, but why not stay then and try to change it for the better, instead of running away?

Zarha, the groove bringer | 67 comments I agree that running away is not the answer, but if the US doesn't want illegal people here, then they should just swallow their pride because they are coming no matter what, and if they want legal citizens that pay taxes they need to do something more affective than trying to round up every single illegal immigrant.

message 35: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Illegal immigrants shouldn't be able to drive or vote, for starters, because you need to be a citizen to do that. No exceptions.

Zarha, the groove bringer | 67 comments They already can't vote and there are only some states that they can drive.

message 37: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Ruscigno I think that illegal immigrants need to go yeah its going to take a lot of money to deport them but its going to cost more money as they keep on coming as your taxes increase since we have to pay for there social security not to mention it will resort in less jobs as all of them are taken over by illegal immigrants also the illegal immigrants will start to control our country by being the major deciders in elections since there is so much of them they should not be alloud to vote period,but they can easily get voting rights after getting into the country and having a baby this gives them citizenship. i mean this has gone to far we need a wall i mean come on.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Why do we care? What is the point of opposing them? They have jobs, don't they? What is the big deal with illegal immigrants?

message 39: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

That they are receiving benefits of living here without paying anything like taxes, which are sent out to citizens. It's not fair for us to pay for them to stay here. They either pay for themselves or get out.

message 40: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Ruscigno thank you

message 41: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 318 comments i don't think it should get any easier

the reason it's hard is because we have enough people here anyway so we don't exactly want a lot of people coming

if it was possible (easily i mean) id go for kicking them all out

message 42: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

I know that they have bad situations at home, but it isn't our responsibility to take care of them all. We can't, otherwise it would be at the expense of citizens and their money.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

At first, I was pretty much in support of letting all immigrants stay and just being really easy going, but the more I thought about it, the more I don't like that idea. Sure, it seems a little stupid, at least to me, to make sure a big deal out of human-imposed borders. But at the same time, these people broke the law. They need to be punished instead of just let free and rewarded. But the fault isn't all theirs. Our citizenship system is really messed up. So here's what I think we should do.

We need to improve our citizenship system, so that it is easier for all immigrants to become citizens. This way, it will lower the temptation to come over illegally in the first place. I know a man who has been waiting for 10 years to get his son over here from Mexico. He did it the legal way, but he's being punished, in a way. All of the illegal immigrants currently in the country should be given a chance to come forward. Once they do, they will be deported, and then they came come back through as citizens. If they decide to stay in the country illegally, they will be deported and fined, and it will be harder for them to get back into the country.

message 44: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

There also needs to be enough people to deport them. And better boarder security.

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) I agree with Erin and Lauren

message 46: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

:)

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) :D

message 48: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Ruscigno yay we've come to a conclusion for atleast a couple days

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) Yes!

message 50: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments XD YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5